Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Driving to and from France/UK

Driving to and from France/UK

Old Jul 25th 2022, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to and from France/UK

Neither of our passports stamped but we always show them with our WA TDS and along with having a french reg vehicle probably helps as well
Old Jul 25th 2022, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baroudeur
I can answer your specific query as a UK resident with Irish passport and a UK passport holder spouse. who have crossed the channel several times recently.

The UK passport is stamped on entry and exit from France but the Irish passport is not.

The UK passport holder can remain in France with the EU spouse as long as they remain together. Should the EU passport holder leave the Uk spouse alone in France then the 90/180 starts at that point i.e. original stay + 90/180 but proving continuity may be a problem.

Remember Schengen rules also apply if internal borders are crossed.
Hi Baroudeur

That’s my situation too.

Have you had occasion yet to test the rule? ie has your spouse tried to re-enter France (with you) after having already clocked up 90 days in the last 180?

Just curious to see how well the rule is observed in practice.
Old Jul 25th 2022, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I thought we were talking about the procedure when you cross the border?
Originally Posted by Pulaski
British and French immigration likely has access the ferries' passenger manifests, same as they do for aircraft.
If they are checking passenger manifests back over 180 days for every UK passport holder who crosses the border, no wonder there are long queues...
Old Jul 25th 2022, 7:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I thought we were talking about the procedure when you cross the border?

If they are checking passenger manifests back over 180 days for every UK passport holder who crosses the border, no wonder there are long queues...
I thought we were talking about how the French know when you come and go "I don't see how the computer can possibly calculate how many days you've been in the EU" is what I was responding to.

If the French have arriving passenger manifests (which would be available moments after each ferry sets sail, then all the French would need to do is run the names and idntifying information through the French residence database to flag any non-residents on the ferry who appear to be in violation of residency laws. All French immigration officers would then need to do is identify those individuals after they come off the ferry to enter France - I'm not talking about real-time database seaches as each person hands over their passport! Though if that is what the Fench are actually do then it would explain delays.

I could see that this would probably flag people driving through France to their home in other countries, such as Spain, Portugla and Italy, so they would be checked and presumably sent on their way.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 25th 2022 at 7:12 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Yes if an issue arises then immigration can quite easily check a person's movements.
But from the point of view of what to expect when you arrive at the border, I think the only situation where a stamp in a passport is likely to cause an issue is if a person with no residence rights is exiting Schengen and the last stamp in their passport is an entry stamp more than 3 months ago.