Hors gel

Old Jul 29th 2022, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hors gel

Sorry but I’m on a roll with posts!
I have underfloor heating with an air source heat pump and I’m struggling to get to grips with it all.
I am due to return to UK in 2=weeks so need to try and work out how I’m going to leave heating settings…
one of my neighbours says she has the same system (Atlantic) and that they leave the thermostat on the “off” position when they’re away - even in the depths of winter. She says (and I know this to be true) there is a “hors gel” which will kick in if temperatures plummet.
I am a little nervous as I destroyed a house in England in the early 80s when we left heating off to go for a weeks skiing! Luckily insurance did actual pay out.
Plus - a few weeks ago the person keep on an eye on my UK home while I am away now told me she heard water running somewhere in the bathroom..
Wont bore with details but it turned out a massive leak had sprung in a hot water pipe - dreading the next gas and water bills!
Again I’d be grateful for (polite) suggestions!
Old Jul 29th 2022, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hors gel

In France, we have Atlantic convectors which are turned to frost setting when we are away and the main stopcock is turned off to prevent possible water leaks.
The hot water tank is switched off.
In the UK, we set the thermostat to 15 deg and I can control both water and heating on my phone.
At this time of year your heating will not come on if you leave it at 15 deg.
HTH
Old Jul 29th 2022, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hors gel

Thanks Cyrian
I think this is what I will do for the French house when I am away. I will be turning the water off plus this is a stipulation in my insurance small print.
I have made quite a good friend with a French neighbour whom I play tennis with - I will ask if I can leave a key with him.
Hopefully there will be no need for the heating system to require a top up of water st any stage?
Also of course I will turn off the hot water tank.