Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

In desperate need of a Vodafone UK customer in South of France

In desperate need of a Vodafone UK customer in South of France

Old Feb 15th 2014, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Keith Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In desperate need of a Vodafone UK customer in South of France

Hi guys I'm hoping one of you can help me solve an annoying problem.

A couple of months ago my girlfriend lost her iPhone, so this week we bought a replacement on eBay UK. Unfortunately I was hungover and not paying close enough attention when I ordered it, and when it arrived this morning I found it's still locked to the Vodafone UK network. The phone was restored to factory settings before delivery, so we can't get past the activation screen as we need to insert a Vodafone UK SIM card to complete the activation process.

Unfortunately the eBay seller is a trader rather than a regular guy, so we can't ask him to request an unlock code from Vodafone (as only the account holder can do that). I could buy a Vodafone pay as you go SIM but they will only deliver it to my billing address in Manchester, which would be a bit of a trek from Antibes. Finally, our local unlocking service tell us their process doesn't work with UK carriers (though if anyone here has successfully unlocked a UK phone in France I'd love to hear from you). It's a perfect storm of Apple and Vodafone bullshit

What we desperately need is just five minutes with a Vodafone UK microSIM (the baby ones that fit in an iPhone) or an old an unneeded regular sized SIM that we could cut down so it will fit the iPhone. Once we insert a SIM card in the phone and plug it into my laptop we can activate the phone in a couple of minutes. We still won't be able to make calls with it until we get our own SIM card, but at least the missus will be able to play Angry Birds and stop sulking. It doesn't matter if the SIM card is active or not, so long as it's from Vodafone UK, and you'll get it back as soon as I've pressed buttons for a few minutes.

If you're a Vodafone UK customer, or you have an old phone lying around with a Vodafone SIM still in it, it would be fantastic if you could give me a shout. We're in Antibes right now, but we have a car so we could travel anywhere in the south to get this sorted. I'd happily hand over a little cash in exchange for your help.

Thank you
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:06 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In desperate need of a Vodafone UK customer in South of France

Originally Posted by Keith Taylor
Hi guys I'm hoping one of you can help me solve an annoying problem.

A couple of months ago my girlfriend lost her iPhone, so this week we bought a replacement on eBay UK. Unfortunately I was hungover and not paying close enough attention when I ordered it, and when it arrived this morning I found it's still locked to the Vodafone UK network. The phone was restored to factory settings before delivery, so we can't get past the activation screen as we need to insert a Vodafone UK SIM card to complete the activation process.

Unfortunately the eBay seller is a trader rather than a regular guy, so we can't ask him to request an unlock code from Vodafone (as only the account holder can do that). I could buy a Vodafone pay as you go SIM but they will only deliver it to my billing address in Manchester, which would be a bit of a trek from Antibes. Finally, our local unlocking service tell us their process doesn't work with UK carriers (though if anyone here has successfully unlocked a UK phone in France I'd love to hear from you). It's a perfect storm of Apple and Vodafone bullshit

What we desperately need is just five minutes with a Vodafone UK microSIM (the baby ones that fit in an iPhone) or an old an unneeded regular sized SIM that we could cut down so it will fit the iPhone. Once we insert a SIM card in the phone and plug it into my laptop we can activate the phone in a couple of minutes. We still won't be able to make calls with it until we get our own SIM card, but at least the missus will be able to play Angry Birds and stop sulking. It doesn't matter if the SIM card is active or not, so long as it's from Vodafone UK, and you'll get it back as soon as I've pressed buttons for a few minutes.

If you're a Vodafone UK customer, or you have an old phone lying around with a Vodafone SIM still in it, it would be fantastic if you could give me a shout. We're in Antibes right now, but we have a car so we could travel anywhere in the south to get this sorted. I'd happily hand over a little cash in exchange for your help.

Thank you
Welcome to the Forum, Lots of Vodaphone PAYG Sims on eBay which you should have no issue getting delivered here. You need however to make sure you get one that is PRE ACTIVATED otherwise you won't be able to use it in France you could ask the seller to enable international roaming as well.

I buy US and UK ones like this before I travel.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tip I've found a few options online, but the problem is we're a little nomadic and rarely have a postal address. We're leaving our current apartment in Antibes on the 19th, which is too soon to have a SIM shipped from the UK
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Now wouldn't this be a hell of a coincidence !

http://www.thefranceforum.net/viewto...iphone#p330931
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Ha No, hers was a Samsung, I think, and she lost it somewhere in Tuscany. That would have been an awesome coincidence, though