Children

Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:56 am
Just Joined

kezza85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Children

Me and my partner (la sizer) are thinking about moving to france which I think is great however I have my worries. Mainly being schooling for the children and preparing them for such a big move. We have 5 kids ages now 1 4 6 6 and 9, I want to know what ages they start school ect If there are nurserys (pre schools) and will the kids be given any extra help at school with learning the lingo, My main concern if for the 2 eldest boys as one being 9 would be roughly about 12 when we move (been told its harder for the older ones?)and my 6 yr old son who struggles with reading and writing in english. Any advice or tips greatly apriciated.

Many Thanks kelly x
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:49 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children

Originally Posted by kezza85
Me and my partner (la sizer) are thinking about moving to france which I think is great however I have my worries. Mainly being schooling for the children and preparing them for such a big move. We have 5 kids ages now 1 4 6 6 and 9, I want to know what ages they start school ect If there are nurserys (pre schools) and will the kids be given any extra help at school with learning the lingo, My main concern if for the 2 eldest boys as one being 9 would be roughly about 12 when we move (been told its harder for the older ones?)and my 6 yr old son who struggles with reading and writing in english. Any advice or tips greatly apriciated.

Many Thanks kelly x
Good to have a name for La Sizer's GF!
Your middle three will all go to the Ecole Primaire, the youngest one will go to the Ecole Maternelle (they start at 3 years here), which is usually in the same building if you decide to live in a village or a separate one in a town. You enrol them at the Mairie of your residence. They'll pick up the language in no time and there are provisions for extra coaching for French children in reading and writing, so no problem for your middle son. They may suggest putting your eldest in the top class of Primaire, to give him a year to get used to the language, French culture, etc... before going up to Secondaire. There's no shame in that, as a lot of French children do their year again. Another advantage would be that all your children would be together and you yourself would have a year to get used to the System, before coping with Secondary School...
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kellu. Sizer is sure on track at sorting things out. Hope it goes well.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:23 am
Just Joined

kezza85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Good to have a name for La Sizer's GF!
Your middle three will all go to the Ecole Primaire, the youngest one will go to the Ecole Maternelle (they start at 3 years here), which is usually in the same building if you decide to live in a village or a separate one in a town. You enrol them at the Mairie of your residence. They'll pick up the language in no time and there are provisions for extra coaching for French children in reading and writing, so no problem for your middle son. They may suggest putting your eldest in the top class of Primaire, to give him a year to get used to the language, French culture, etc... before going up to Secondaire. There's no shame in that, as a lot of French children do their year again. Another advantage would be that all your children would be together and you yourself would have a year to get used to the System, before coping with Secondary School...
Thankyou. Is there anyweb sites that u know of that may show differant schools in the areas or is it a case of have a look when u get there?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:32 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou. Is there anyweb sites that u know of that may show differant schools in the areas or is it a case of have a look when u get there?
You'd have to choose the various towns you're interested in, then look on their websites, clicking on "Education". This will give you an idea, but in any case you have to enrol in person at your chosen Mairie.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks kelly x
Did you read the site rules ? especially rule 15.
I will contact admin and tell them you are family before they remove your accounts.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

La Sizer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Did you read the site rules ? especially rule 15.
I will contact admin and tell them you are family before they remove your accounts.
15. Creating multiple usernames is not allowed. If you have a legitimate reason to create a second username, maybe another household member joining, then you should contact the administrators. Anybody found with multiple member names will have their posting privileges removed and all associated member names will be deleted.

We will contact them immediately and inform them as I am sure it is high on their list of jobs to do!

Edit : A message has now been sent to them explaining that we have an account each as afterall we are 2 different people using 2 different PC's, researching different things. jdr, I hope this meets your approval.

Last edited by La Sizer; Nov 7th 2008 at 12:23 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Sizer
15. Creating multiple usernames is not allowed. If you have a legitimate reason to create a second username, maybe another household member joining, then you should contact the administrators. Anybody found with multiple member names will have their posting privileges removed and all associated member names will be deleted.

We will contact them immediately and inform them as I am sure it is high on their list of jobs to do!
It`s already done, and the rule is there to save you and the site from trolls and spammers.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
It`s already done, and the rule is there to save you and the site from trolls and spammers.
Hey JDR, should that be trolls and spanners..................
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

La Sizer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Sorry I didnt read that quite right, I didnt know that you had already sent a message on our behalf, thank you....
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by themoose
Hey JDR, should that be trolls and spanners..................
I left spanners behind years ago. ;-))
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by La Sizer
Sorry I didnt read that quite right, I didnt know that you had already sent a message on our behalf, thank you....
No probs.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud of

Hi,
My daughter is 4 and started school in September here in France - so far we've had no problems and already she can understand what is being said to her and knows a little french already so dont worry about the language just wish i could pick it up so blinking easy!!!!