Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Charente Maritime

Charente Maritime

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Charente Maritime

Originally Posted by treskillard
Not at all. The non-touristy bits of Lot et Garonne are nice.
I loved it around Condom as well (sorry but it is true ) a bit south of there.
We nearly moved near Condom many years ago when we bought our farm but the seller then was a brit who thought he was selling part of Hyde Park and wouldn`t budge on price. Nice area but OH thinks its too far from the sea. You see the problem.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:20 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Is that where you were then?
Sorry, a poor, coarse and unnecessary joke..
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:54 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Sorry, a poor, coarse and unnecessary joke..
I am protected from jokes by a prophylactic of humourlessness
some call being a bit thick
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:58 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jorgi
We nearly moved near Condom many years ago when we bought our farm but the seller then was a brit who thought he was selling part of Hyde Park and wouldn`t budge on price. Nice area but OH thinks its too far from the sea. You see the problem.
Remind OH about global warming - rumour has it that it will bring Condom nearer the beach
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Remind OH about global warming - rumour has it that it will bring Condom nearer the beach
or the beach nearer to Condom
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:37 am
down under where

Originally Posted by val50
or the beach nearer to Condom
i bet a seaman told you that...
Old Dec 1st 2007, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

scaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant future

Hi Jorgi, we have just returned from France having spent 3 weeks exploring depts. 16 and 17. We planned to buy a property in Charente but strayed into Charente-Maritime and I must say, I prefer the latter. We stayed between Saintes and Pons and the countryside is beautiful with vines and woodland. We think it's a great bonus that you then have a short drive to the coast. You really do have the best of both worlds.
We visited Ruffec which is a very nice place, we just like it a bit further South better because we love to be among the vines, you get a real French feel then.
We looked at many houses and have decided which one we want, we just need to sell ours in the UK first and hope for the best that it's still available. As soon as someone puts an offer on ours,we can do likewise. As everyone on this site knows, I'm scared of taking the plunge. While I was in France I was relaxed and happy and didn't want to come home. Now I'm back in the house in the UK, the doubts are creeping in again. I am going for it though, it's just my cautious personality.
Anything you want to know, just ask, we learned a lot from this trip and visited just about everywhere!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

scaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant future

Hi everyone,
how's it going for all you others who are in the process of looking/moving?
We now have our house in the UK up for sale but apparently the market is very slow at the moment. I'm not surprised really with all the uncertainty about house prices dropping and the interest rate. The house we've chosen in France won't stay on the market forever as it's really lovely and we don't have the same feel for any of the others we looked at. We keep saying 'if it's meant to be it will happen'. In the meantime we'll just enjoy Christmas at home. My son is coming over from Oz and I'm soooo excited!
Best wishes to you all.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

chucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant future

We feel the same as you. We have seen houses come and go whilst getting our house ready to sell. Nothing much happens on the house buying front at this time of year. Everyone too busy buying Xmas presents. Still lots of people off work between Xmas and New Year with time on their hands, fingers crossed. OH can be jittery at times and real enthusiatic at others but me I just can't wait, its been a dream of mine for years. Cherente Maritime too pricey for us, we are looking in the Cherente inland or Limousin. I would be happy with a ruin so long as it has land but OH far more sensible looking for creature comforts. He has to have a feel for a place, which is hard to define and loves the house were leaving, so could take some time to find the right house. Like you we are waiting untill we have a serious buyer before committing to anything. We may even rent for a while untill the right one comes along and we have the money in the bank.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scaredycat
Hi Jorgi, we have just returned from France having spent 3 weeks exploring depts. 16 and 17. We planned to buy a property in Charente but strayed into Charente-Maritime and I must say, I prefer the latter. We stayed between Saintes and Pons and the countryside is beautiful with vines and woodland. We think it's a great bonus that you then have a short drive to the coast. You really do have the best of both worlds.
We visited Ruffec which is a very nice place, we just like it a bit further South better because we love to be among the vines, you get a real French feel then.
We looked at many houses and have decided which one we want, we just need to sell ours in the UK first and hope for the best that it's still available. As soon as someone puts an offer on ours,we can do likewise. As everyone on this site knows, I'm scared of taking the plunge. While I was in France I was relaxed and happy and didn't want to come home. Now I'm back in the house in the UK, the doubts are creeping in again. I am going for it though, it's just my cautious personality.
Anything you want to know, just ask, we learned a lot from this trip and visited just about everywhere!
Hello, thanks for your info re Charente/Charente Maritime. Sorry we did not reply sooner, we have been too busy NOT selling our property! Contracts were supposed to be exchanged a week ago and now the person at the bottom of the chain says they can't get a mortgage - c'est la vie!!!! We are still keeping fingers and toes crossed as we hope to be able to move to France in January/February. We intend to rent first so that we can look around and be sure we are buying in the right area. After the problems we have had selling our property here it HAS TO BE the right place - I never want to move again!!!!
At the moment we are cheering ourselves up by reading about the Charente in Guide Books etc.
Lots of luck in selling your house and keep in touch.