Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Ihave M.E and am thinking of moving to France.

Ihave M.E and am thinking of moving to France.

Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

beswick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ihave M.E and am thinking of moving to France.

Has anyone else done the same. Can you get incapacity benefit there. Any ideas on best locations etc.::
Old Dec 13th 2007, 6:09 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ihave M.E and am thinking of moving to France.

Hi Beswick,
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will be able to answer the main part of your question concerning incapacity benefit, sorry but I can't. For the last bit about best spots etc. I think you need to say what you are looking for from moving to France before anyone can really answer that
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beswick
Has anyone else done the same. Can you get incapacity benefit there. Any ideas on best locations etc.::
You would be best checking on the DWP site, I think some are transferrable from the UK but not sure of which or in which countries.
Have a look on this page HERE about half way down page.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beswick
I think in France ME is more commonly known as chronic fatigue syndrome and is accepted as a condition eligible for incapacity benefit. Do you already claim in UK?
Another benefit in France is that spa therapy is covered by many of the mutuelle's. I should imagine somewhere warm and dry would be a good location for you, semi rural and stress free?
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure I've read before that incapacity benefit is transferrable to France (& Spain) if you already claim in the UK, but if I'm not mistaken if you are not of retirement age then you wont qualify for free state health care in France, and will have to take out private cover which probably wont cover you for ME
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by treskillard
Hi Beswick,
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will be able to answer the main part of your question concerning incapacity benefit, sorry but I can't. For the last bit about best spots etc. I think you need to say what you are looking for from moving to France before anyone can really answer that
Thank you for replying to my question. It was very kind of you. I am new to this website so am not sure how it works yet. Thanks
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

I think that if you have Incapacity Benefit from the UK you can get an E109 from the DWP which will give you access to the french healthcare system at 70% re-imbursement. You would then need an insurance policy covering the remaining 30%.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by val50
I think in France ME is more commonly known as chronic fatigue syndrome and is accepted as a condition eligible for incapacity benefit. Do you already claim in UK?
Another benefit in France is that spa therapy is covered by many of the mutuelle's. I should imagine somewhere warm and dry would be a good location for you, semi rural and stress free?
Thanks for youre reply. I agree tha somewhere warm and stress free would be great. France is such a large country I dont know where to start. We like the sea, rivers and lots of green. I think the South of France will be too hot for us in the summer. It would be good to get mild and fairly dry winters. What is spa therapy as I havent heard of it before.