Originally Posted by Niz4590
You can get it faxed it to yourself as well quickly
DOH! If it widows then come tomorrow I will ask
Old Aug 12th 2021, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Tabularasa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Certificate of entitlement from DVLA

UPDATE;

I arrived in Canada on Monday night. I found a DriveTest in Ottawa on Wednesday and got there at 7am when they opened with 30 people in the queue ahead of me. My wife and I got in the building at 850am then it took us until 1015am to walk out with our swapped temporary licences. The time at the desk was about 7 minutes in all that time. So I advise you get to your DriveTest an hour before they open if you don’t want to lose a morning.

Anyways, the key point is I proudly presented my faxed Certificate of Entitlement and the lady said “Oh I don’t need that to give you full driving entitlement”. I was shocked and she pulled her guidebook and read out that a UK licence with the entitlements on the back is all they need! I sheepishly put it back in my bag. She did say it was useful for car insurance so keep it but not to swap a licence.

I wondered if my wife would have the same experience. She was served at another desk and same thing - NOT NEEDED!

So get it faxed from DVLA but no need for swapping. I hope this is helpful.

By the way, I got the right to drive cars but not large vehicles and not my motorbike licence. Those have to be obtained via testing etc.

Last edited by Tabularasa; Aug 12th 2021 at 11:29 am.
Old Apr 20th 2022, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Bonbon84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Certificate of entitlement from DVLA

Originally Posted by Niz4590
I am exactly in the same boat. I gave my driving license summary to the authorities here in Canada for exchange but they need this certificate and it seems like there is no way to get it
hello, were you able to work this out? I’m actually Canadian and had exchanged my Canadian license for a British one when I moved to the UK years ago. Then I moved to France where I lost my British license and of course the UK won’t give me a replacement photo card, only a certificate of entitlement which I’m hoping they’ll accept to exchange for a Canadian license! Just wondering if you were able to exchange yours after obtaining the ‘certificate of entitlement’? Thanks so much!