Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Cancelling a Mutuelle medical policy

Cancelling a Mutuelle medical policy

Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Chapelgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cancelling a Mutuelle medical policy

When we moved to France we had an E106, which entitled us to a Carte Vitale. We also bought a Mutuelle through Swiss Life.

Our E106 expired at the end of December last year, but the CPAM still sent us new cards for 2011. In May they realised their mistake, blocked the card and wrote to us, asking us to send them back.

I did this, and phoned up Swiss Life to explain the situation. As I expected, we were no longer entitled to Mutuelle cover without the Carte Vitale. They said we would have to send in copies of the letters from the CPAM in order for them to cancel the cover. I did this, but a month later they sent us a renewal schedule, so I rang them up. They had "no record" of my letter, although the woman on the phone remembered my original call. She asked me to resend the paperwork by recorded delivery, which I did.

Swiss Life is now saying that they will cancel the policy at the end of August, which is its anniversary.

Is this legal? Since they are aware we have no Carte Vitale and so are not enitled to recover anything from them under the policy, do they still have the right to take premiums? We cannot stop them, as it s paid by direct debit, which can only be cancelled by them.

Normally the Loi Chatel applies to insurance - i.e. you can only cancel on the anniversary, but surely this does not apply in this case?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:57 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancelling a Mutuelle medical policy

Originally Posted by Chapelgirl
When we moved to France we had an E106, which entitled us to a Carte Vitale. We also bought a Mutuelle through Swiss Life.

Our E106 expired at the end of December last year, but the CPAM still sent us new cards for 2011. In May they realised their mistake, blocked the card and wrote to us, asking us to send them back.

I did this, and phoned up Swiss Life to explain the situation. As I expected, we were no longer entitled to Mutuelle cover without the Carte Vitale. They said we would have to send in copies of the letters from the CPAM in order for them to cancel the cover. I did this, but a month later they sent us a renewal schedule, so I rang them up. They had "no record" of my letter, although the woman on the phone remembered my original call. She asked me to resend the paperwork by recorded delivery, which I did.

Swiss Life is now saying that they will cancel the policy at the end of August, which is its anniversary.

Is this legal? Since they are aware we have no Carte Vitale and so are not enitled to recover anything from them under the policy, do they still have the right to take premiums? We cannot stop them, as it s paid by direct debit, which can only be cancelled by them.

Normally the Loi Chatel applies to insurance - i.e. you can only cancel on the anniversary, but surely this does not apply in this case?
Hi, unfortunately you should have terminated your contract by registered letter right from the start.
One of the clauses in the contract should state how much notice you have to give and, in fact, you're lucky that the anniversary is at the end of this month! But I admit it's infuriating to pay out for nothing....
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Chapelgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we seem to have got it sorted. (I hope I am not speaking too soon...). We managed to get past the numpties in the call centre and speak to a manager. She is cancelling the policy with effect from 1st January.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Well we seem to have got it sorted. (I hope I am not speaking too soon...). We managed to get past the numpties in the call centre and speak to a manager. She is cancelling the policy with effect from 1st January.
Good news!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

juesat is just really nicejuesat is just really nicejuesat is just really nicejuesat is just really nicejuesat is just really nicejuesat is just really nicejuesat is just really nicejuesat is just really nice

Hi,we had exactly the same done to us in 2007. We had CMU cover when we first moved, then only 80% cover so took out a Mutuelle insurance which was 85 euros a month, we were then asked to retuen our carte vitale, as did many other brits only to find that we couldn't cancel our Mutuelle until the full year was up, but also it was worthless as we couldn't be remboursed as we didn't have any other cover. It was absolutely appalling, we ended up paying for all our prescriptions, dentist, doctors appointments etc in full ourselves AND the mutuelle each month for about 8 more months and there was nothing we could do about it, I think it was that point I fell out with France and it's stupid laws that you just couldn't get away with in England. Five years on and we're still fighting for a Carte Vitale.