Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Best place to live in France

Best place to live in France

Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:18 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best place to live in France

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
Yes... I had heard that Ariege was cram full of aging hippy types who make their own sausages and cant cope with a normal pace of life

Toulouse is hardly busy by english standards and anyway I live surrounded by forest and in the country; today birds are flying all around my wood, the buzzard is calling and the single car a day just went past; a half way house maybe
Ive been called many things, But never hippy. The only reason we picked Ariege was buying our home outright, Being able to renovate it to a cleaner way of life. We work for our enjoyment and are no longer slaves to the man sitting behind a desk in a bank, Dam the man. Oh you have misjudged my age some what. I turned down employment with Airbus so I could develop and improve my Creative side in the Cgi industry.

Oh and em hairy scary types spend a awful lot of time in Toulouse and can be seen all around. For me being that close to so many other people is not my idea of fun. It amazes me that people feel compelled to live on top of each other, If I was going to live around so many other people I would move to Tokyo. But from the way you explain your surroundings I guess you don't live within the city limits, But Toulouse is still a city and it is busy enough to be distasteful for my liking. Some of the facilities it provides are useful especially Rangueil hospital which as the make over continues actually makes a fine hospital with some talented staff.

8 years ago demonstrated why industry and large populous communities don't go well together. The explosion at the Total facility on Route Espagne which was the largest in europe since the berlin blitz 20 000 injured and they are still cleaning up the site to this day. Although the new office complexs they have built are not the prettiest I have seen a bit obscure looking.

Suburbia Kills
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

I was just teasing!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:38 am

I was just teasing!
I know it's the irony of life, Im young but it's the latter years of my life and I brought it upon myself. So enjoy it, and those around you because there is no everlasting light bulb.

I will be visiting Toulouse again in the near future when I can work out which cinema is best for VO films. It seems random which ones do it and im trying to work out if the Imax in the Citi du Espace is going to show the Watchmen in the Imax version at all and in VO.? Otherwise im going to have to jump on a plane and go to england for a few hours.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

jenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nice

We love the Gironde - two kinds of terrain, one very flat pine forest, the other (where we live) sunflower fields and vineyards (oh did I forget to mention the wine ) short mild winters - long hot summers - perfect and only 40 mins in the car to Bordeaux.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear about the way your life has turned ka ora
in our experience the gaumont cinema place wilson toulouse the best for VO -certainly adult films
not sure about the cite d'espace
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:41 pm

sorry to hear about the way your life has turned ka ora
in our experience the gaumont cinema place wilson toulouse the best for VO -certainly adult films
not sure about the cite d'espace
Im not so sure the Citi d'espace shows films at all other than the listed ones that we have seen over and over in the KSC in Florida, but there is a limited number of Imax Cinemas in France. Only Two listed on the Imax website
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:00 am
Property consultant

mcany is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Best place to live in France

(SNIP)

For me the South of France is one of the best place, just try to avoid the big cities, French people are much more friendly in small villages, if you have a problem (ie you car break down) they won't charge you £1000 to repair it, most of the time they will do it for free (even if you will have to buy them lunch

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 4th 2009 at 2:28 pm. Reason: No advertising on the forums please
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:06 am
Just Joined

kimboz1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Best place to live in France

TOULOUSE
In Pibrac nearby there is an excellent Judo group offering classes twice a week

To live there is a huge range of places within range of the schools, both in the countryside and not;

My daughter is at the COLLEGE and loves it, having left the uk about 18months ago

If you decide toulouse is for you and want more info just PM me

michele

If you w
Hi Michele

Just read your response re. good places to live in France. I am currently living in NZ with my husband and 2 children. We are English and have lived in NZ for 10 years - we love it here but miss our family and would like to live nearer the UK. We have been looking at France but know little about it and are particularly concerned about our Childrens education - they are 12 and 14 and were very interested in your comments on the College - I tried to look it up on the internet but couldn't find it - only the international school in Toulousse.

I would appreciate any upto date info you can give me.

Thanks a lot

Kimberley
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HI
you need to google Collège Lycée Victor HUgo Colomiers; or English31 the site can be read in english;
to be in the section brittannique as yours would be costs 150 euros a term ; help is given to newcomers with french lessons

If you need more help/ info just ask: pm me

michele
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:54 am
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jenny and charlie
We love the Gironde - two kinds of terrain, one very flat pine forest, the other (where we live) sunflower fields and vineyards (oh did I forget to mention the wine ) short mild winters - long hot summers - perfect and only 40 mins in the car to Bordeaux.
Definitely agree with this. Don't know all of France, but have been to many parts, and the Gironde is definitely the nicest so far. You forgot to mention the rolling hills and cliffs along the estuary, the stunning beaches, the surf, Ikea in Bordeaux......
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

kimboz1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Best place to live in France

HI
you need to google Collège Lycée Victor HUgo Colomiers; or English31 the site can be read in english;
to be in the section brittannique as yours would be costs 150 euros a term ; help is given to newcomers with french lessons

If you need more help/ info just ask: pm me

michele
Thanks but only just joined and can't pm you yet. Do you know where Gironde is? Was looking at Toulousse because heard the Midi Pyrenees lovely place to live - countryside but not sure on areas that are nice to live - we love the countryside and have horses here in NZ - but need to be able to commute to a good school.
Thanks for any help/advice you can give.
Cheers Kimberley
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

The gironde is north of bordeaux; quite popular but not my personal cup of tea; it depends what you are looking for really.

There are loads of stables around us; we live just north west of toulouse in a village right beside a huge forest that is very popular with riders, walkers and cyclists

In effect we are just on the very outer edge of the suburbs so have access to the college mentioned via a free bus, good local sports clubs, music schools etc; if you want more rural then I personally would go for Ariege SSE of Toulouse and running up to the Pyrennees; house proces are MUCH cheaper there and it is really very pretty; Ka Ora could tell you more about this region.

hope this helps; if you reply to this you should be able to PM people
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimboz1
Thanks but only just joined and can't pm you yet. Do you know where Gironde is? Was looking at Toulousse because heard the Midi Pyrenees lovely place to live - countryside but not sure on areas that are nice to live - we love the countryside and have horses here in NZ - but need to be able to commute to a good school.
Thanks for any help/advice you can give.
Cheers Kimberley
Hi!
You'd do well to invest in a map of France, to locate all of these places!

Seriously though, la Gironde is the Département 33, capital Bordeaux, in the South West.
If you want to be near the UK, why not consider Normandie, Bretagne or the Nord-Pas de Calais Regions? There are several BE members there, who will be able to give you more info.