British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Best place to live in France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/best-place-live-france-593494/)

parkh Feb 23rd 2009 4:34 pm

Best place to live in France

Hi

I have just joined the forum.

I am thinking of spending a year in France with family...kids 9 and 13. We havent really decided where...

I know its a very personal thing...but I was wondering whether anyone had any thoughts experience tips on questions to ask/considerations before making a final decision.

We are thinking about a small town near an interesting city. Possibilities include near Dijon, or Montpelier or Avignon or Toulouse area. Will be going Sept-June ish--probably not July/August/hottest months.

Looking for authentic French experience...but also want to make it easy for the kids...not to get too isolated/estranged at the beginning...Good school would be a be big factor in our choice. Also like to be able to continue martial arts for kids...Judo and Aikido.

Anyway, just wanted to see whether anyone had any thoughts/reflections/comments.

Thanks a million.

Byrne

dennerlymum Feb 23rd 2009 5:12 pm

Re: Best place to live in France

TOULOUSE
If it is just for a year then the schools there will support your children but allow them a french experience:

for primary Paul Bert, Colommiers - looks a lot like Colditz but has a CLIN - class for easing entry into france - french lessons etc, a branch of ENGLISH 31, to continue english at the level of uk (ish)

for secondary the section britannique c/o English 31 COLLEGE ET LYCEE VICTOR HUGO Colommiers; your 13yr old will get support in french and continue english and history and art in english
Both English 31 sections cost a minimal amount per year .
Failing that if you possess a small fortune in income there is a intenational school near the college

In Pibrac nearby there is an excellent Judo group offering classes twice a week

To live there is a huge range of places within range of the schools, both in the countryside and not;

My daughter is at the COLLEGE and loves it, having left the uk about 18months ago

If you decide toulouse is for you and want more info just PM me

michele

If you w

parkh Feb 23rd 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks for that...Definitely sounds interesting. Slightly worried about it getting too hot May/June. WIll PM you after my next post (need 3 posts to PM apparently.
FB

dennerlymum Feb 23rd 2009 5:35 pm

May June can be hot but not always - july tends to be the hottest month
michele:)

Le Chant Feb 24th 2009 6:43 pm

Loire - gorgeous!

dennerlymum Feb 24th 2009 6:45 pm

NOOOON - C'est Toulouse!!!!:p

Le Chant Feb 24th 2009 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by dennerlymum (Post 7318978)
NOOOON - C'est Toulouse!!!!:p

C'est trop chaud en été! :blink:

dennerlymum Feb 24th 2009 6:50 pm

....ok, peut etre:)

dennerlymum Feb 24th 2009 6:51 pm

...mais la Loire est trop froide.... tous le temps:p

Le Chant Feb 24th 2009 6:57 pm

:sneaky:

C'est pas vrai! La Loire est le jardin de france!

(We'll get snipped for speaking foreign in a 'mo, you watch....)

dennerlymum Feb 24th 2009 6:59 pm

lol:rofl:
didnt realise it was contre les lois de parler en francais

Scots in Treignac Feb 24th 2009 7:20 pm

put it down to a shortage of mods.

treskillard Feb 24th 2009 10:11 pm

Thread Closed. If you think you can come on here and type utter mumbo jumbo and get away with it you've got another thing coming.

can i be a mod now?

Ka Ora! Feb 25th 2009 8:12 am

France is Mod less until some one outstanding shows their face. Im bored with hitting the report post button, It's giving me repetitive strain injuries. <SNIP><SNIP><SNIP><SNIP><SNIP><SNIP> Censored for reasons of insanity by the mice in the server.

As for the original topic Ariege is the best place to live, Don't live in Toulouse it a Mad House avoid anywhere with 31 plated drivers as the moment they get in a car common sense is left in the garage. :lol: If you want peace tranquility no particular aim to get anything done then Ariege is the place to be, If you want to feel like part of a swarm of bees in a melting honey pot then Toulouse is the place to be.

Originally Posted by treskillard (Post 7319586)
Thread Closed. If you think you can come on here and type utter mumbo jumbo and get away with it you've got another thing coming.
can i be a mod now?

By all means, Why don't we get vivian from the Young Ones in to do the cleaning.

dennerlymum Feb 25th 2009 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Ka Ora! (Post 7320850)
If you want no particular aim to get anything done then Ariege is the place to be, If you want to feel like part of a swarm of bees in a melting honey pot then Toulouse is the place to be.

Yes... I had heard that Ariege was cram full of aging hippy types who make their own sausages and cant cope with a normal pace of life:rofl:

Toulouse is hardly busy by english standards and anyway I live surrounded by forest and in the country; today birds are flying all around my wood, the buzzard is calling and the single car a day just went past; a half way house maybe:D