Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Baccalauriat Education

Baccalauriat Education

Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Kate in Landes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baccalauriat Education

Our 17 year old son has been doing his first year (1L) at Lycee since last September. However he is struggling with the literature as we have just found out that the french children have a 3 year period of preparing them for the way in which this is taught. He is quite fluent in his French as we spent 7 years in the Charente before leaving to live in Spain for 3 years.
When we went to register him back into the French Education system last year our local Lycee said he should do this course as they do not do a Baccalauriat based on I.T. which is what he would have preferred. I believe they do engineering also but that is the only options we were told they do. He is doing brilliantly at Maths and okay in all other subjects.
Does anyone out there know where we can get unbiased information as I have a sneaky suspicion that the Lycee he attends were possibly oversubscribed in other courses.
Hope someone out there can Help
Kate
Old Feb 12th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baccalauriat Education

Originally Posted by Kate in Landes
Our 17 year old son has been doing his first year (1L) at Lycee since last September. However he is struggling with the literature as we have just found out that the french children have a 3 year period of preparing them for the way in which this is taught. He is quite fluent in his French as we spent 7 years in the Charente before leaving to live in Spain for 3 years.
When we went to register him back into the French Education system last year our local Lycee said he should do this course as they do not do a Baccalauriat based on I.T. which is what he would have preferred. I believe they do engineering also but that is the only options we were told they do. He is doing brilliantly at Maths and okay in all other subjects.
Does anyone out there know where we can get unbiased information as I have a sneaky suspicion that the Lycee he attends were possibly oversubscribed in other courses.
Hope someone out there can Help
Kate
Hi Kate
our eldest did her french bac with the international option.
Basically there are 3 options the kids can choose from for the french bac
the general, professional or technologique. I think you are probably correct in thinking they were full on the tech course,which sounds as if it would be the best one for your son. Is there another school in the area he could swop to? Rebecca was 16 when she started school in France, and didn't speak french. The school suggested she went back a year, which she reluctantly did. We suggested she look at it as a gap year before finishing school, rather than after! She didn't regret it, and admits now she wouldn't have passed (with mention bien) if she hadn't.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Kate in Landes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Val. Can you tell me what the course content is for a tech Bac.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate in Landes
Thanks Val. Can you tell me what the course content is for a tech Bac.
Hi there
Scientific (S): Emphasizing mathematics and sciences with extra specializations in mathematics, physics, chemestry, biology, natural sciences, and technology.

Also, have a look at this website, it might be of use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baccalaur%C3%A9at
Val

Last edited by jdr; Feb 12th 2007 at 9:14 pm. Reason: sorting link out