Reload this Page >

ARRCO and refund of pension contributions

ARRCO and refund of pension contributions

Old May 1st 2018, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Azuregold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARRCO and refund of pension contributions

Good evening all,

I really hope someone can help me with this - I am getting nowhere with ARRCO, the complementary pension provider. I paid compulsory contributions while I was salarié for 6-7 months. I am presuming that because I paid in for such a short time, I wouldn't be entitled to receive any pension at all; so I would be entitled to a refund of the contributions. I have been to ARRCO direct (by email) and initially they did come back to me (in early February). I replied the next day and since then have chased them twice and nothing. My French is not strong enough to phone them and try to sort it out. A colleague who has a French friend and spoke to her for me said I should post copies of everything to ARRCO's head office (all pay slips, social security number letter from CPAM, proof of identity, all the emails etc) by recorded delivery and mention a tribunal if they don't respond! Would this be a sensible idea? Has anyone else had this problem or know anything I can do? (I'm no longer living in France.) I really want to get this money back, as I wasn't earning very much and it was quite a sizeable chunk over the time period.

Thanks in advance for any advice :-)
Old May 1st 2018, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARRCO and refund of pension contributions

You say you are "presuming" you would be entitled to a refund, have you not actually checked this out? If not, I would find out for definite before you start threatening them with tribunals and all the rest.

One thing I've learned while living here - never assume anything. Read it in black and white from an official source and double check that what you're reading is up to date, before starting a crusade. Otherwise you can waste a lot of time and energy and stress, and end up with egg on your face.
Old May 1st 2018, 9:03 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Azuregold
Good evening all,

I really hope someone can help me with this - I am getting nowhere with ARRCO, the complementary pension provider. I paid compulsory contributions while I was salarié for 6-7 months. I am presuming that because I paid in for such a short time, I wouldn't be entitled to receive any pension at all; so I would be entitled to a refund of the contributions. I have been to ARRCO direct (by email) and initially they did come back to me (in early February). I replied the next day and since then have chased them twice and nothing. My French is not strong enough to phone them and try to sort it out. A colleague who has a French friend and spoke to her for me said I should post copies of everything to ARRCO's head office (all pay slips, social security number letter from CPAM, proof of identity, all the emails etc) by recorded delivery and mention a tribunal if they don't respond! Would this be a sensible idea? Has anyone else had this problem or know anything I can do? (I'm no longer living in France.) I really want to get this money back, as I wasn't earning very much and it was quite a sizeable chunk over the time period.

Thanks in advance for any advice :-)
Hi, those 6-7 months' ARRCO contributions will be added to your Social Security contributions for your eventual Pension. You could always write them both a registered letter requesting reimbursement. As advised by ET, make doubly sure of their obligations before you make threats.
I mentioned in your other thread that I regretted not having claimed my Pension from Switzerland for the 6 months that I worked there, thinking it wasn't worth the bother. All Pensions, however small, add up....
Old May 1st 2018, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
You say you are "presuming" you would be entitled to a refund, have you not actually checked this out? If not, I would find out for definite before you start threatening them with tribunals and all the rest.

One thing I've learned while living here - never assume anything. Read it in black and white from an official source and double check that what you're reading is up to date, before starting a crusade. Otherwise you can waste a lot of time and energy and stress, and end up with egg on your face.
Thank you for your reply. Part of the issue I am having is trying to find an absolute definitive answer (which doesn't change) to the issue of reimbursements. I was referred to this specific department/offshoot of Arrco by the general enquiry/ customer service; the address of which I found on the Agirc-Arrco website. They were helpful and seemed to think it was worth my time pursuing it. But 'seemed to think' isn't really sufficient.

I am well aware that making threats isn't a good idea unless I am certain I am correct. It was simply what this person suggested. Really it needs a phone call to the specific department within the specific department, but I don't have the sufficient language skills to do it. Perhaps I will just leave it go.
Old May 1st 2018, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, those 6-7 months' ARRCO contributions will be added to your Social Security contributions for your eventual Pension. You could always write them both a registered letter requesting reimbursement. As advised by ET, make doubly sure of their obligations before you make threats.
I mentioned in your other thread that I regretted not having claimed my Pension from Switzerland for the 6 months that I worked there, thinking it wasn't worth the bother. All Pensions, however small, add up....
Thanks for your reply. All small amounts do indeed add up, esp from Switzerland! But for me I don't want the bother of this years from now; I'd like to just close the door on the whole thing really. Thanks again.
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Azuregold
Thanks for your reply. All small amounts do indeed add up, esp from Switzerland! But for me I don't want the bother of this years from now; I'd like to just close the door on the whole thing really. Thanks again.
Well, here's one official site

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F33464

which indicates that you must wait for retirement age before applying for reimbursement.
In fact I've never heard of any type of French Pension Fund in the private sector reimbursing before retirement age. But write your letter of enquiry (remember by registered mail) and let us know what they say. It will be interesting for any one leaving France and wondering what to do about their côtisations.
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

French OH has never heard of such reimbursements from ARRCO (or CNAV) and doubts very much that you'll get much joy with your application. Your average private sector salariés wait until they reach Pension age for reimbursement...
But there may be exceptions for foreigners leaving France never to return, and you can only find out by writing snailmail or asking on the spot. I haven't got our addresses to hand, but believe that the CNAV at least is départemental and ARRCO is in Paris. (Don't confuse with the CPAM which is the health insurance part of Social Security and there's no question of reimbursement there).
Old May 30th 2018, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say 'thank you' to everyone who responded to me - all your replies were very helpful and I think, unfortunately, I am not entitled to a reimbursement but clarification is still ongoing. Thanks again for taking the time to help and for the links. Have a nice day!
Old May 31st 2018, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

My understanding of this system is that your contributions will buy points towards a retirement income, with each point being worth a certain monthly amount using a magic formula. They send out statements every 5 years starting at 45 years old to tell you how many points you have and what they are worth. I don't know if it is possible to cash out as you would with a private employer's pension in the UK if you have less than 2 years contributions but if not then you need to make sure they have your up to date contact details so you can receive the payments, no matter how small, when you reach the right age. I was surprised in a good way at how much my few years contributions are amounting to when I eventually retire.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this :-)