Reload this Page >

Delay in buying house - power of attorney

Delay in buying house - power of attorney

Old Jun 14th 2018, 10:38 am
Just Joined

PG76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Delay in buying house - power of attorney

Hi all
I'm looking for some advice please. I had an offer accepted for a house on 1st March and I am still no further forward - no compromis as yet. This is due to one of the owners having dementia and the family have to have power of attorney to sell on his behalf. The last info from the estate agent was that they are still waiting for an appointment with the judge to get this. Has anyone else been through this and did it take as long or is this the norm?
Another house we viewed at the same time has gone from sous compromis to vendu - adding to my frustration.
The property is near Bellac, Haute Vienne if it makes any difference.
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Pam
Old Jun 14th 2018, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delay in buying house - power of attorney

I've just put this question to my wife who went through this procedure for her mother, albeit not specifically for a house sale. Time taken was 3.5 months, but this will invariably depend on location and size of the commune.
I note that the population of your department is approx 380k, a similar number to our location, so in theory the time scale should be similar.
I should add that from the 2nd month my wife was pursuing this regularly with the juge des tutelles, telephone calls, emails etc which may have added to the final decision date.
HERE is a link as an overview of the role of a guardianship judge in France. Just for info, any family member(s) taking on this task have to be prepared for a lot of ongong dialogue and paperwork over the course of the guardianship. It's not for the faint-hearted and as I've witnessed myself, one has to be very commited to the task. If no family member wishes to take up the challege (or deemed incapable of doing so by the judge), a private organisation will be allocated for tutelle tasks, and as these are run strictly as businesses, from what I've read some leave a great deal to be desired - and can be costly.
I became quite interested in the procedure a few years ago having watched a fascinating French tv series, 'Le Tuteur'' with Roland Magdane - one of my more favourite actors/humorist. These are available on YTube for anyone interested. Well worth a watch to become aware of many of the difficulties encountered.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jun 14th 2018 at 1:20 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

PG76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I've just put this question to my wife who went through this procedure for her mother, albeit not specifically for a house sale. Time taken was 3.5 months, but this will invariably depend on location and size of the commune.
I note that the population of your department is approx 380k, a similar number to our location, so in theory the time scale should be similar.
I should add that from the 2nd month my wife was pursuing this regularly with the juge des tutelles, telephone calls, emails etc which may have added to the final decision date.
Thanks for the advice, I think yet another email to the estate agent is to be sent. Perhaps it is, as in England, where the only way thing seem to move forward is if you bombard them with emails/phone calls etc.
Patience unfortunately is not one of my virtues.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 6:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PG76
Thanks for the advice, I think yet another email to the estate agent is to be sent. Perhaps it is, as in England, where the only way thing seem to move forward is if you bombard them with emails/phone calls etc.
Patience unfortunately is not one of my virtues.
Oh dear, unless you're fluent in French (like Mme TP above), you aren't likely to have any impact on a Judge. You must let French Justice take its usual course and be patient!