Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anybody kind enough to help me today with a small and easy translation?

Anybody kind enough to help me today with a small and easy translation?

Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:29 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anybody kind enough to help me today with a small and easy translation?

Hi people in France,

The parent/teachers comittee at my kids' elementary school has asked me if I'd write out a few of the school regulations in English.
Ideally they'd like to have them in French as well. Since I stopped working with French people I have lost a lot of my French - especially written French, and I know that a fluent person could get this job done in five minutes.

There are 8 rules and most of the sentences are simple and a lot of them are in the imperative, eg: School lessons begin at 8am. Please be punctual.

If anybody has 10 minutes to spare to help me with this I'd be very grateful.

Thank you.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody kind enough to help me today with a small and easy translation?

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi people in France,

The parent/teachers comittee at my kids' elementary school has asked me if I'd write out a few of the school regulations in English.
Ideally they'd like to have them in French as well. Since I stopped working with French people I have lost a lot of my French - especially written French, and I know that a fluent person could get this job done in five minutes.

There are 8 rules and most of the sentences are simple and a lot of them are in the imperative, eg: School lessons begin at 8am. Please be punctual.

Thank you.
Hi,
Just found your post.
Send your English version in a pm, or on the forum, as you like. I can spare 10 mins.!
Ciao!
P.S. Preferably before 13h30 as I'll be out this afternoon...

Last edited by dmu; Nov 19th 2009 at 10:32 am.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:44 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody kind enough to help me today with a small and easy translation?

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi,
Just found your post.
Send your English version in a pm, or on the forum, as you like. I can spare 10 mins.!
Ciao!
P.S. Preferably before 13h30 as I'll be out this afternoon...
Have sent by PM and thank you very very much.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:45 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Have sent by PM and thank you very very much.
PM just sent and, you're welcome!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:09 pm

That was brilliant and you're an absolute gem.

It should help to keep me in the teachers' good books for a while they think I can be a bit loud sometimes
I'm not, I'm just not scared of them like so many Italian mummies are.

Thank you so much.

If there is ever anything I can help you with from Italy please just ask.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:03 pm

P.S. I've left some money behind the bar at Le Peu Perdu so you can have a drink on me. Don't let Cleri, Andrea or any of the other drinkers get it
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:50 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

P.S. I've left some money behind the bar at Le Peu Perdu so you can have a drink on me. Don't let Cleri, Andrea or any of the other drinkers get it
I knocked it back in a hurry, but needn't have got into such a panic, no one turned up!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi people in France,

Thank you.
Do you need any help in Chamicuro - reported to be one of the world's rarest languages*
If any of these words (horse, chicken, duck, monkey, dog, cat, cow) ever appear on your school regulations, I should be able to help out.

*They reckon only 8 people can speak this - and me of course.......
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Do you need any help in Chamicuro - reported to be one of the world's rarest languages*
If any of these words (horse, chicken, duck, monkey, dog, cat, cow) ever appear on your school regulations, I should be able to help out.

*They reckon only 8 people can speak this - and me of course.......
I'll give you a bell if any of these words come up in that language.

Monkey - horse and cow might but that would be how the teachers get described sometimes
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

mopedlil is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tryed google translate its very good it saves me knocking on my neighbours door every 2 minutes.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Babelfish is very good for translating. I use it on occasion at work...
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:18 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ummmm, I beg to differ. There's nothing like a good, old-fashioned Dictionary which gives translations in CONTEXT.
The OP doesn't need to defend her request for a human translation, but I do. You can't know that this translation was in fact 18 lines long, with quite specific school vocabulary, which I am familiar with.
My French OH checked my grammar and style - something that Babelfish or the like could never do....
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:37 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Ummmm, I beg to differ. There's nothing like a good, old-fashioned Dictionary which gives translations in CONTEXT.
The OP doesn't need to defend her request for a human translation, but I do. You can't know that this translation was in fact 18 lines long, with quite specific school vocabulary, which I am familiar with.
My French OH checked my grammar and style - something that Babelfish or the like could never do....
I have to agree with you, If you rely on the online translation systems you can end up making some pretty arse about face statements in writing gives the French a laugh I guess. Online systems are too Literal with the translation and provide little intelligence in finding the contextual values of each word within a sentence.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I'm not saying babelfish is perfect but it helps!
I actually grew up in France and all my qualifications are French so I don't really need it...
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:02 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

http://translation2.paralink.com/

I found this great!