Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Advice on living in France

Advice on living in France

Old Jan 4th 2015, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

VictoriaLouise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on living in France

A bit of back story - Myself and my partner, David, both 25, spent some time saving, and travelled around Europe for 6 months last year, including a lot of stops in many French provinces. One of a particular highlight for us was Annecy. We fell in love with the area, the people, the way of life. We only stayed two weeks (longer than our planned 3 days) but it was enough to know there was something special about it - we even checked out apartment rentals and jobs, just to see what life was like.

Since returning to the UK, Annecy stayed with us and over the last 3 months we have been talking non stop about how amazing it would be to live and work in Annecy for a year or two. Neither of us feel as though we want to settle yet and feel that it may be a great opportunity and challenge for us both. We'd be happy to work almost anywhere, David has plenty of experience in the Bicycle industry and has worked on many ski seasons throughout Europe, and I have experience in sales, and in administrative posts to a high level. But either of us would be happy even working in a bakery, or even for an English company. But before we dive in to anything, we would really like some advice on how to plan for such an adventure.

We have many questions, from where to look for jobs, how much money we realistically need to save up, the process of renting an apartment, healthcare, vehicle regulations (eg can we import an english car? Do we need a french car? Etc).

We have both started french courses, as even if we dont end up going, its always great to speak another language.

We'd really just love some advice from those who know and/or who have made the move. We want to be prepared as much as possible for what we could expect and what preparations we may need to make. Any useful websites or information would also be gratefully recieved - we've been trawling the internet but it is awash with so many fragmented bits of information its so hard to actually know where to start.

We completely appreciate we know very little at this moment in time, and that perhaps our ideas may not be feasible and may need a complete overhaul, but this is why we're posting! So just any advice, tips and info would be so great!

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 5th 2015, 8:11 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on living in France

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I know what you mean about Annecy, it's a wonderful place and the ski areas are so close by. I have spent summers and winters in Annecy and nearby La Clusaz and even thought of moving, buying a chalet hotel and running a restaurant.

If you look through the threads on this forum you'll find many hopeful questions such as yours and many discouraging answers (some are mine).

It's not to say it's impossible to make it in France but in these austere times it would be pretty difficult unless you have a much sought-after skill, fluent French and fairly deeply pockets to finance your first year.

Anyhow look through the old threads first and if you're not completely put off then ask away - between us all we have most of the answers.

Cheers IVV
Old Jan 5th 2015, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on living in France

At your ages I see no reason not to give it a shot. You're clearly accustomed to a mobile lifestyle, you're talking about a couple of years not 'forever', and if you've been lucky enough to find a place that attracts you both, planning to go back there seems the obvious thing to do.

You may find it harder than you expect to rent a place long term, because French tenants are ridiculously well protected by law so landlords have to be very cautious about who they let in, in case they can't get them out again. That may mean going outside the mainstream rental agencies and it is a hurdle to be gotten over, but it is possible,

The way I would approach it would be to get jobs lined up for a season, which it sounds as if you wouldn't have too much difficulty in sorting out, and then once you're here, look for something longer term. It's all going to depend on how determined you are and how good you are at blagging work etc, but from your post you sound outgoing, can-do people.

The only caveat I would add is, make sure that you're not going to risk messing up any long term plans you might have in the UK - don't burn all your bridges. But since you say you're not ready to settle yet, that doesn't seem like an issue, and if you do spend a few years in Annecy and then decide to settle back in the UK, well it will look good on a CV and won't do your prospects any harm at all.

I imagine you know the UK holiday companies that operate in that region, and when to apply - basically you can start apply for the summer season round about the previous November, and for the winter season round about August.

Bon courage et bonne chance