Reload this Page >

Access to healthcare in France? Worried about a mole

Access to healthcare in France? Worried about a mole

Old Aug 16th 2015, 9:48 am
Just Joined

jeadeuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Access to healthcare in France? Worried about a mole

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Your first post sounded as if you had moved here. You should have made it clear that you're only a temporary visitor.
As a temporary visitor you're covered by your EHIC, that's what it's for.
Technically you shouldn't have been working, as there are tax and social security implications to that, but if you don't tell the authorities they're not likely to ever find out.
If you do decide to move to France permanently in the future, do your research properly. Becoming resident in France is a lot different from taking a long holiday, it means that you have to comply with French and EU tax and social security law and it's serious grown-up stuff. Yes there would be an extra cost for your employer, it would make you unaffordable as an employee. The information is all available on the internet if you google. If you don't feel ready to get to grips with it, which it sounds as if you're not, you should delay the move until you are because it's a big step. Keep it simple, stay UK resident, come to France for long holidays, DON'T tell people you live here no matter how tempting it is to pretend you do, and if you must work while you're 'on holiday' here, keep your fingers crossed that nobody twigs.
Social security regulations for EU workers are there to protect the social security system of each state from abuse but they're also there to protect the worker and ensure they have healthcare where and when they need it. If you choose to flout the regulations and pay into the wrong social security system because it's cheaper, you will come unstuck, what else can you expect? Don't take the risk. People who grow up in the UK often think that because they don't pay for healthcare, it is 'free' and will always be free everywhere, and they tend not to take seriously the need to be responsible for their own healthcare. The moment you stop being UK resident, it may come as a shock to realise that healthcare is not 'free' everywhere.

EDIT - just seen DMU's post - the OP hasn't indicated that there is any solid reason for her to be seconded to France. The criteria for getting a workers S1 are quite strict, each application is considered individually and there needs to be a professional reason that makes the situation exceptional, otherwise if it's simply a case of moving abroad, the normal EU rules will apply. I suspect that 'She fancies living in France to be with her bf' won't be accepted as a professional reason. But you can always try.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what exactly the EHIC covers?

It's unlikely I will be here permanently, we both plan to move back to London after his studies have finished - but if plans changed I'd have to get a new job (although I need to improve my French!). I think if my employer had to pay charges it would make me unemployable.

From here, I will have to think about the best step to take.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old Aug 16th 2015, 10:08 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeadeuk
We went to an out-of-hours GP and he said it wasn't an emergency, so I will get them checked by a UK doctor and have them removed for peace of mind.
That's extraordinary, a GP available on Assumption Day! I don't know where you live, but in my neck of the woods, there's no "Médecin de Garde" on Sundays or Public Holidays and you must ring the "15" or turn up at the nearest Urgences if it's urgent. As a matter of interest, did he charge extra? (normally 23€ for a consultation).
Old Aug 16th 2015, 11:57 am
Just Joined

jeadeuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
That's extraordinary, a GP available on Assumption Day! I don't know where you live, but in my neck of the woods, there's no "Médecin de Garde" on Sundays or Public Holidays and you must ring the "15" or turn up at the nearest Urgences if it's urgent. As a matter of interest, did he charge extra? (normally 23€ for a consultation).
I'm in the south and he didn't charge extra. It was weird because the doctor only started consultations at 5pm. It was a 2 hour wait but I eventually managed to see him!
Old Aug 16th 2015, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Paying taxes is the cost of living in a civilised society. You cannot just opt out because you fell like it !