British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Access to healthcare in France? Worried about a mole (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/access-healthcare-france-worried-about-mole-863463/)

jeadeuk Aug 14th 2015 11:54 pm

Access to healthcare in France? Worried about a mole

Ok so I'm living in France for several months with my French partner. I'm from the UK and have a free European Health Insurance Card and NHS.

The problem is, I'm not declared as living in France because I work for a UK company (from home) so my boss doesn't want me to get into tax issues.

Do I have the right to any healthcare here? I'm guessing I can't get a Carte Vitale without my name on a residence, so are there any other options?

The main reason I'm asking is because recently a mole on my skin has become crusty and changed colour and I'm really worried. If I have to pay a fee to get it cut off, I will depending on how much if I can afford it. (otherwise sadly I'll have to go back to England)

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

dmu Aug 15th 2015 12:01 am

Re: Access to healthcare in France? Worried about a mole

Originally Posted by jeadeuk (Post 11724421)
Ok so I'm living in France for several months with my French partner. I'm from the UK and have a free European Health Insurance Card and NHS.

The problem is, I'm not declared as living in France because I work for a UK company (from home) so my boss doesn't want me to get into tax issues.

Do I have the right to any healthcare here? I'm guessing I can't get a Carte Vitale without my name on a residence, so are there any other options?

The main reason I'm asking is because recently a mole on my skin has become crusty and changed colour and I'm really worried. If I have to pay a fee to get it cut off, I will depending on how much if I can afford it. (otherwise sadly I'll have to go back to England)

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Aside the question of whether or not you're entitled to healthcare coverage here, the first thing to do is consult a Dermatologue (cost: 28€). If something needs to be done, ask how much it will cost before he acts. I've had a few "blemishes" burnt off and it cost no more than the consultation, but a cut will cost more, but less than the fare to the UK!

grannybunz Aug 15th 2015 12:01 am

Welcome and sorry if this sounds tough but:

1) Get yourself to a doctor asap using your EHIC

2) If you have to go back to the UK then do so to get treatment

3) Don't work for anyone who won't recognise that you must be registered as working in France if that is what you are doing. It can only end in tears.

Good luck

dmu Aug 15th 2015 1:40 am

Originally Posted by grannybunz (Post 11724428)
Welcome and sorry if this sounds tough but:

1) Get yourself to a doctor asap using your EHIC

2) If you have to go back to the UK then do so to get treatment

3) Don't work for anyone who won't recognise that you must be registered as working in France if that is what you are doing. It can only end in tears.

Good luck

1) Would the OP be reimbursed with an EHIC? In any case, she would have to pay the 28€ up front, and the Doc issues the Feuille de Soins for reimbursement.
2) If it's more serious, then she must decide where to be treated.
3) From other threads on the Forum, I believe there's an S1 form for employees working for a UK company and living in France?
+
If the OP is living (and working?) chez her Partner, he should arrange for her to be officially domiciled there. Without proof of domicile, how can she have an "identity" in France for everyday life? and someone working from home must have written permission from the owner/landlord. As the partner is French, he should know all this.....

grannybunz Aug 15th 2015 1:58 am

She would be re-imbursed- eventually in the UK. If I was as concerned as she obviously is then I think €28.00 is little enought to pay. Melanoma is not something to take a chance over and, heaven forbid it is, then the faster it is dealt with the better.

Of course her partner may know how to regularize the situation and hopefully does but as everyone knows trying to get away with working for a UK company while living here is another possible pitfall.

"My boss doesn't want me to get into tax issues" is a bit of a give away is it not?

dmu Aug 15th 2015 5:36 am

Originally Posted by grannybunz (Post 11724494)
If I was as concerned as she obviously is then I think €28.00 is little enought to pay.

Of course her partner may know how to regularize the situation and hopefully does but as everyone knows trying to get away with working for a UK company while living here is another possible pitfall.

Agree, even without reimbursement, 28€ for the first consultation is little to pay.

For the partner's involvement, I wasn't thinking about the problems with the employer being a UK company, but rathermore along the lines of providing an official "domicile" for her and particularly ensuring that he as owner, or his landlord, gives written permission for her to work at home. She won't live under the radar for long and the Authorities (the URSSAF among others), will eventually (in the English sense) find out.

But first, a RV ASAP with her nearest Dermato, hoping that he/she isn't on holiday....

scot47 Aug 15th 2015 5:47 am

An employer who has no interest in the employee's welfare. Alarm bells start ringing here !

cyrian Aug 15th 2015 6:46 am

I suspect that the OP discussed with/informed her employer that she was moving to France and wanted to continue in her job. The employer may not have wanted to get involved with cross-border employment and hence his response.
As far as he is concerned, he is completely within the law.
However, the OP is not.
The OP should consult a Dermatologue and either get the issue fixed there and then or get an estimate for the treatment.
Remember to factor in the return costs to the UK when deciding whether to pay in France or return to the UK

EuroTrash Aug 15th 2015 7:33 am

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 11724638)
The employer may not have wanted to get involved with cross-border employment and hence his response.

The employer is not within the law at all. French law and EU law both say that any company that employs an employee living in France has to pay cotisations to URSSAF, because anybody who lives and works in France, no matter where their employer is based, must contribute to the French social security system. So either he should declare the OP to URSSAF and pay cotisations, or if he's not prepared to do that he shouldn't employ a person who lives in France.
The OP can't have it both ways. She (I'm guessing a she?) has consciously made the decision to break the rules, so she can't expect to have the rights and privileges she would be entitled to if she had decided to play by the rules.
Her options are, either pay for her own healthcare (still not legal), or fraudulently use her EHIC (to which she's not entitled because she neither lives nor works in the UK), or riskiest of all fraudulently claim healthcare as an ayant droit by pretending she's not working, and good luck if/when URSSAF pick up on it.
Sorry if that sounds harsh but there are too many Brits here who want the healthcare but don't want to pay their dues. IMHO, of course.

EDIT: Thinking about it, trying to get cover as your partner's ayant droit would open a can of worms in any case because URSSAF would almost certainly ask for a certificate from the UK confirming that you're no longer entitled to NHS care, and the date on which you stopped being eligible. So EHIC seems to be the only route. But really, sneaking round France keeping under the radar and looking over your shoulder because you want to pretend you still live in the UK so you can keep the safety blanket of the NHS, is no way to start a new life, is it?

jeadeuk Aug 15th 2015 8:06 am

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 11724648)
The employer is not within the law at all. French law and EU law both say that any company that employs an employee living in France has to pay cotisations to URSSAF, because anybody who lives and works in France, no matter where their employer is based, must contribute to the French social security system. So either he should declare the OP to URSSAF and pay cotisations, or if he's not prepared to do that he shouldn't employ a person who lives in France.
The OP can't have it both ways. She (I'm guessing a she?) has consciously made the decision to break the rules, so she can't expect to have the rights and privileges she would be entitled to if she had decided to play by the rules.
Her options are, either pay for her own healthcare (still not legal), or fraudulently use her EHIC (to which she's not entitled because she neither lives nor works in the UK), or riskiest of all fraudulently claim healthcare as an ayant droit by pretending she's not working, and good luck if/when URSSAF pick up on it.
Sorry if that sounds harsh but there are too many Brits here who want the healthcare but don't want to pay their dues. IMHO, of course.

EDIT: Thinking about it, trying to get cover as your partner's ayant droit would open a can of worms in any case because URSSAF would almost certainly ask for a certificate from the UK confirming that you're no longer entitled to NHS care, and the date on which you stopped being eligible. So EHIC seems to be the only route. But really, sneaking round France keeping under the radar and looking over your shoulder because you want to pretend you still live in the UK so you can keep the safety blanket of the NHS, is no way to start a new life, is it?

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 11724638)
I suspect that the OP discussed with/informed her employer that she was moving to France and wanted to continue in her job. The employer may not have wanted to get involved with cross-border employment and hence his response.
However, the OP is not.
The OP should consult a Dermatologue and either get the issue fixed there and then or get an estimate for the treatment.
Remember to factor in the return costs to the UK when deciding whether to pay in France or return to the UK

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11724600)
An employer who has no interest in the employee's welfare. Alarm bells start ringing here !

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 11724593)
Agree, even without reimbursement, 28€ for the first consultation is little to pay.

For the partner's involvement, I wasn't thinking about the problems with the employer being a UK company, but rathermore along the lines of providing an official "domicile" for her and particularly ensuring that he as owner, or his landlord, gives written permission for her to work at home. She won't live under the radar for long and the Authorities (the URSSAF among others), will eventually (in the English sense) find out.

But first, a RV ASAP with her nearest Dermato, hoping that he/she isn't on holiday....

Originally Posted by grannybunz (Post 11724494)
She would be re-imbursed- eventually in the UK. If I was as concerned as she obviously is then I think €28.00 is little enought to pay. Melanoma is not something to take a chance over and, heaven forbid it is, then the faster it is dealt with the better.

"My boss doesn't want me to get into tax issues" is a bit of a give away is it not?

Thanks for the replies. Thankfully, it seems the mole is nothing serious, and I'm going to book an appointment in the UK to have it removed anyway.

I would be happy to declare I live here - would make my life much easier! But the company is only a small start-up, I think they're just worried about having extra costs so they want to avoid it, but I could talk to them more about it.

I didn't think it would be a big problem since I'm here for just a few months, but I'd rather not be breaking the law of course. My boyfriend doesn't know anything about it, he's a student (we are 22 years old).

In that case, does anyone know exactly what I and my boss would need to do? Would I still pay taxes in UK and France too, and would there be extra costs for my boss? I'd even be happy to subsidise it. I just wanted to spend some time with my partner rather than working alone in the UK, although maybe it's what will have to happen in the end.

Thanks for the help!

dmu Aug 15th 2015 9:07 am

Originally Posted by jeadeuk (Post 11724666)
Thanks for the replies. Thankfully, it seems the mole is nothing serious, and I'm going to book an appointment in the UK to have it removed anyway

I'm glad to hear this, but am intrigued to know how you found out within a few hours, and on a Jour Férié, to boot!

dmu Aug 15th 2015 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by jeadeuk (Post 11724666)

I didn't think it would be a big problem since I'm here for just a few months, but I'd rather not be breaking the law of course. My boyfriend doesn't know anything about it, he's a student (we are 22 years old).

In that case, does anyone know exactly what I and my boss would need to do? Would I still pay taxes in UK and France too, and would there be extra costs for my boss? I'd even be happy to subsidise it. I just wanted to spend some time with my partner rather than working alone in the UK, although maybe it's what will have to happen in the end.

I read your first post too quickly and thought that you "have been living" in France for several months, not "are living". I also imagined, but then I presume too much, that you were both older, so it's unlikely that your bf will know the rules. If you continue to work at his domicile, he must obtain permission for you, which the landlord might not grant as the lease won't be a commercial one (are you in fact mentioned by name in the lease?).
As to working for several months (very vague and could continue into years), couldn't your boss declare that you're temporarily working in France, and obtain the S1 form for you? Those more in the know will explain about this and the tax question (you wouldn't have to pay taxes in both countries), but they're probably still away on holiday.

EuroTrash Aug 15th 2015 6:03 pm

Your first post sounded as if you had moved here. You should have made it clear that you're only a temporary visitor.
As a temporary visitor you're covered by your EHIC, that's what it's for.
Technically you shouldn't have been working, as there are tax and social security implications to that, but if you don't tell the authorities they're not likely to ever find out.
If you do decide to move to France permanently in the future, do your research properly. Becoming resident in France is a lot different from taking a long holiday, it means that you have to comply with French and EU tax and social security law and it's serious grown-up stuff. Yes there would be an extra cost for your employer, it would make you unaffordable as an employee. The information is all available on the internet if you google. If you don't feel ready to get to grips with it, which it sounds as if you're not, you should delay the move until you are because it's a big step. Keep it simple, stay UK resident, come to France for long holidays, DON'T tell people you live here no matter how tempting it is to pretend you do, and if you must work while you're 'on holiday' here, keep your fingers crossed that nobody twigs.
Social security regulations for EU workers are there to protect the social security system of each state from abuse but they're also there to protect the worker and ensure they have healthcare where and when they need it. If you choose to flout the regulations and pay into the wrong social security system because it's cheaper, you will come unstuck, what else can you expect? Don't take the risk. People who grow up in the UK often think that because they don't pay for healthcare, it is 'free' and will always be free everywhere, and they tend not to take seriously the need to be responsible for their own healthcare. The moment you stop being UK resident, it may come as a shock to realise that healthcare is not 'free' everywhere.

EDIT - just seen DMU's post - the OP hasn't indicated that there is any solid reason for her to be seconded to France. The criteria for getting a workers S1 are quite strict, each application is considered individually and there needs to be a professional reason that makes the situation exceptional, otherwise if it's simply a case of moving abroad, the normal EU rules will apply. I suspect that 'She fancies living in France to be with her bf' won't be accepted as a professional reason. But you can always try.

cyrian Aug 15th 2015 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 11724648)
The employer is not within the law at all. French law and EU law both say that any company that employs an employee living in France has to pay cotisations to URSSAF, because anybody who lives and works in France, no matter where their employer is based, must contribute to the French social security system.

What I said was "As far as he is concerned, he is completely within the law".
Running a business is a complex matter in trying to comply with all the rules and regulations that exist. I refused some requests by my employees because it involved an additional layer of regulations and I didn't have the time to learn these rules.
For the employee, it was very simple - just ask if it is possible.
For the employer, it is much more complicated - you need to ensure that you are compliant.
In my experience, it was sometimes simpler just to refuse.

jeadeuk Aug 15th 2015 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 11724694)
I'm glad to hear this, but am intrigued to know how you found out within a few hours, and on a Jour Férié, to boot!

We went to an out-of-hours GP and he said it wasn't an emergency, so I will get them checked by a UK doctor and have them removed for peace of mind.