Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

1st AlloAllo! Is this ur France: Long summer/Nr Sea and Green Mountains/Accepting?

1st AlloAllo! Is this ur France: Long summer/Nr Sea and Green Mountains/Accepting?

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Re: 1st AlloAllo! Is this ur France: Long summer/Nr Sea and Green Mountains/Accepting

Originally Posted by markek
On financial side: we plan to buy outright, and to live mainly off rental income from our London home and another bought-to-let property (as described above). But clearly from the information shared there is a minefield of taxes / healthcare costs etc to overcome. I'll be seeking advice. For a broad picture of the French bureaucracy I'll browse here, but the intricacies of each individual case surely mean professional advice is a must I think.

Thank you Trufflette for insight on Nice; a very interesting alternative area for us to consider.
Good idea, first thing I did here was employ an English speaking accountant. Costs a fair bit but has been completely worth it. First thing she said was bank 40% for taxes and cotisations.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st AlloAllo! Is this ur France: Long summer/Nr Sea and Green Mountains/Accepting

Originally Posted by loy loy
First thing she said was bank 40% for taxes and cotisations.
50% more like it! Half my nominal salary contributed to the French Economy one way or another, and the scary part is that you must earn that sum, which must be paid whatever, before you can start earning for yourself.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:27 am
Just Joined

markek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Trufflette, will certainly be exploring that link

You're right, we're after a smaller place than Nice, but being in touch with a place of that size offers more variety to life, so a town of maybe between 5k and 100k as a base in the area would be of interest. Lots of reading to do! We are on the verge of booking a trip for Easter to around Perpignan; we'll go ahead with that but may well consider a visit your way too if possible.

Thx again.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I didn't, my heart sank to my boots when the results came out, in fact that was the first time for years that I really thought my French dream might be headed straight for the rocks. Flanby had said before the election that he didn't like the auto entrepreneur regime and he intended doing something about it. But it has turned out since that everything he said was just so much hot air and he never actually does anything apart from nudge taxes up, so I've started to breathe a bit more easily
Tweedpipe, please tell me you didn't vote for Flanby
But of course not! I like to think I've maintained at least an ounce (gramme?) of sense since residing here
As it turned out, the majority of French voters elected Flanby. Albeit with serious doubts, I naively hoped that the change would be positive - give the people a chance and change that that they apparently wanted and voted for.
Although admittedly a close follower of Sarky, I must be fair in saying imho he was, in many ways his own worst enemy. Firstly the 2007 Fouquets affair, then rapidly blotting his copy-book again as soon as he arrived at the Elysee by significantly increasing his salary. Had he done so by 15 or 20% it would still have been a 'no-no' viz-a-viz the public audience, but the 140 - 170% increase (the media seem to be divided on the actual amount) was another cause of public displeasure.
However I shudder to think where we would be today had the left-wing been in power at that time: thoughts of the Portugese, Spainish and Italian economies spring to mind.
We know at least that Flanby reduced his salary when he came to power, obviously to make a good initial impression. But why he didn't put in place obvious, sound policies is utterly baffling. One of the changes that was made as a corrective to the finance bill, immediately had leaders of industries, entrepreneurs and hoards of other French business people scrambling to leave the country. The last thing France needed!
Like you ET, my heart sank when the election results came out, and although my French dream has not actually turned into a nightmare, insomnia does take over when I think about the future, and reflect on the actual state of affairs, crime rate statistics, seemingly impossible situation for job-seekers, and cost of living increases etc, compared to a few years ago. Not to mention the weather!!
Anyone reading this, who may be planning a move from UK (or elsewhere) and thinking 'the grass is greener', you may be in for a rude awakening.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 3rd 2014 at 2:37 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 2:50 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
But of course not! I like to think I've maintained at least an ounce (gramme?) of sense since residing here
As it turned out, the majority of French voters elected Flanby. Albeit with serious doubts, I naively hoped that the change would be positive - give the people a chance and change that that they apparently wanted and voted for.
Although admittedly a close follower of Sarky, I must be fair in saying imho he was, in many ways his own worst enemy. Firstly the 2007 Fouquets affair, then rapidly blotting his copy-book again as soon as he arrived at the Elysee by significantly increasing his salary. Had he done so by 15 or 20% it would still have been a 'no-no' viz-a-viz the public audience, but the 140 - 170% increase (the media seem to be divided on the actual amount) was another cause of public displeasure.
However I shudder to think where we would be today had the left-wing been in power at that time: thoughts of the Portugese, Spainish and Italian economies spring to mind.
We know at least that Flanby reduced his salary when he came to power, obviously to make a good initial impression. But why he didn't put in place obvious, sound policies is utterly baffling. One of the changes that was made as a corrective to the finance bill, immediately had leaders of industries, entrepreneurs and hoards of other French business people scrambling to leave the country. The last thing France needed!
Like you ET, my heart sank when the election results came out, and although my French dream has not actually turned into a nightmare, insomnia does take over when I think about the future, and reflect on the actual state of affairs, crime rate statistics, seemingly impossible situation for job-seekers, and cost of living increases etc, compared to a few years ago. Not to mention the weather!!
Anyone reading this, who may be planning a move from UK (or elsewhere) and thinking 'the grass is greener', you may be in for a rude awakening.
+1
As my OH says, "Pauvre France...."
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:27 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I didn't thinks Brits were allowed to vote for the French president
Although more French voted for Flanby than Sarko I haven't met a single one of them yet
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Although more French voted for Flanby than Sarko I haven't met a single one of them yet

If a Brit took French citizenship, then they could vote, couldn't they? (Dunno really but was assuming.)
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 5:30 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

If a Brit took French citizenship, then they could vote, couldn't they? (Dunno really but was assuming.)
But do we really want to make such a sacrifice and save France......again !?!?!?
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 5:37 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They're the disillusioned ones, to be found in the demonstrations!
Sorry, we're getting off-topic....
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

The dream is over for me! France worse than Ireland.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't thinks Brits were allowed to vote for the French president
- I'm pretty sure Brits's can't - unless they have dual nationality.

- Your 2nd comment is a particularly interesting one, and calls for reflection.
One French couple we are very good friends with and meet with often, would frequently drop comments on how 'their' party could do no wrong, and throw in the odd disrespectful comment about the 'right'.
Having for years made a point of never discussing politics (or religion) with friends, we would always nod, smile, and keep our thoughts to ourselves.
Interestingly enough we've noted - not without amusement - that these particular friends have not raised further comments on their party for at least a year now. Now I wonder why......? Would the French not call this 'd'avoir honte?'

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 3rd 2014 at 7:06 pm.