visiting Malaysia...

Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:44 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default visiting Malaysia...

Hi all,

We`ll be spending a couple of weeks in Malaysia on our way to Perth. 7 nights in Langkawi and 5 nights in KL.

We`d like to know what baby-friendly stuff there is for us to do (she`ll be 12-months old) in Malaysia. We have a baby carrier for her. Can we take her into restaurants?

My wife would also like to know about buying clothes there, as she is nearly 6 foot tall. She`s normally a UK size 12 but she`ll be 6-months pregnant when we are there. She`d like to get some pregnancy clothes and also some for when she`s back to normal. In the UK when we go to some clothes shops (like `Atlantic`) where the clothes come from Asia she finds that the size 12`s are more like size 10`s or less. So can she get clothes that will fit her in KL? Any suggestions on the best places to go to get them?

For myself, I`d like to know what price computer bits and pieces are, like tft monitors, cpu`s etc. and where to get them.

Basically any interesting info about Langkawi and KL would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice
Default Re: visiting Malaysia...

Originally Posted by Stormz
Hi all,

We`ll be spending a couple of weeks in Malaysia on our way to Perth. 7 nights in Langkawi and 5 nights in KL.

We`d like to know what baby-friendly stuff there is for us to do (she`ll be 12-months old) in Malaysia. We have a baby carrier for her. Can we take her into restaurants?

My wife would also like to know about buying clothes there, as she is nearly 6 foot tall. She`s normally a UK size 12 but she`ll be 6-months pregnant when we are there. She`d like to get some pregnancy clothes and also some for when she`s back to normal. In the UK when we go to some clothes shops (like `Atlantic`) where the clothes come from Asia she finds that the size 12`s are more like size 10`s or less. So can she get clothes that will fit her in KL? Any suggestions on the best places to go to get them?

For myself, I`d like to know what price computer bits and pieces are, like tft monitors, cpu`s etc. and where to get them.

Cheers.
Langkawai is quiet, lots of beaches. To me 7 nights is a long time to be there unless you love the beaches. Take a boat ride round the island.

I suggest you take a fast ferry from Langkawai to Penang and tour that island as well. Visit Penang hill, the chinese temple near it and the Burmese and thai temples along Burma road. Visit beach area in Batu Ferrengi, and its night market.

Read the other threads on Malaysia on this forum - there's a list of websites you may want to visit.

It would be best if your wife buys her clothes in UK rather than going from shop to shop looking for the right size.

Most shopping malls in KL will have shops selling computer parts. The Mid Valley Megamall for example has a large section of its floor space occupied by such shops.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:55 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Cheers for the reply (this forum is ALOT quieter than the Aus one).

What precautions should we take against malaria/dengue fever etc... especially for our little girl.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice

What precautions should we take against malaria/dengue fever etc... especially for our little girl.

Us locals don't take any precautions, seriously. Mosquitoes usually breed in still waters and are often in areas where there is a lot of undergrowth. Night time is their favourite blood sucking time. If you live in air conditioned hotels, you needn't worry about them.

There may be some insect repellents that you can use. Avoid jungle trecking if this worries you.

You've asked if tiny tots are allowed in restaruants - yes, they are allowed,and in some places they provide high chairs for them.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

The place for computer stuff in KL is Imbi Plaza which has 3 floors of nothing but solid computer hardware and software. Used to be able to get 'copy' versions of anything at all - but I haven't been there for a few years. Hardware very cheap, but be prepared to haggle to get the best price.

Ir you are just visiting Langkawi, Penang and KL, there is no need for anti-malarials - malaria is totally eradicated in these areas. There is absolutely nothing you can do about dengue fever, but you'd be really unlucky to catch it. If you start to experience high temps or fever, get to a doctor straight away and they'll suss out whether it's dengue (unlikely) or just a cold/flu. All over KL you'll find 24hr Policlinics - you just walk in, pay your money and see a doctor - no need to register.

Agree 7 days in Langkawi is a long time. If you visit Kuah town, go for some seafood at the hawker stalls on the seafront. They catch it fresh and cook it as you order. The cheapest and best crab, lobster, fish, you've ever seen all delicious.

In KL:
go up the KL Tower

visit Petaling Street at night (the chinese market) and buy your fake Rolexes

do a trip out to Kuala Selangor at night (hotel will arrange this for you, or a local tourist/travel agency) and do the river trip to see the fireflies - hardly anyone seems to know about this and it is really good

Batu Caves is good - feed the monkeys and climb the hundreds of steps up to the temple in the cave (your pregnant wife may prefer to wander around the caves at the bottom with their hindu mythology statues and paintings)

Do day trip to Malacca and get a guided tour.

If you are in KL for a Saturday evening, pay a visit to Bangsar (big expat area) - ask the taxi driver to drop you by McDonalds in Jalan Maarof - walk past the front of McDonalds and turn left down any street and walk down to the night market (Pasar Malam) that is only there on Saturday evenings. Be brave and eat at the open air stalls. There is also a really good, semi-open air chinese retaurant there - can't remember the name, but it's on a corner opposite the lane where the open-air stalls are. It's really good.

Have a stroll down Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman (Jalan TAR) and have lunch at the Coliseum Cafe. It's a colonial hangover in food, decor and ambience, serving things like pea or tomato soup, fish and chips, steaks, all with huge 'door-steps' of bread. The waiters are all old chinese guys who look like they've been there for a hundred years, have never washed their uniforms and are rude to just about everyone. Great experience.

And of course there are some huge, glittering shopping malls. The one at KLCC, under the twin towers is a must if you are into shopping. The one for designer stuff that you can't afford is Star Hill centre at Bukit Bintang (which means Star Hill in Malay).

Blimey - that should be enough for 5 days, shouldn't it?

Have agood time.

Phil

Last edited by PhilShila; Mar 18th 2005 at 11:46 am.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Sandraone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Have you decided on where to stay in Langkawi yet? I heard that the Andaman Resort is very family friendly. It has a nice clean shallow bay where you can introduce your daughter to sea salt water. As for what to do and where to go shopping, I also recommend KLCC (twin towers) where you can take her to the park in the evening, she can run around on the grass and its clean and relatively safe. Your wife can shop in Modern mom, a local deisgn boutique especially for moms on the 3rd or 4th floor of the mall. One end of the mall has all the mom and baby stuff so it should keep them looking around for a while. As for computer stuff, best buys are at Low Yat plaza behind sungie wang in Jalan Bukit Bintang. Have a safe vacation and yes, do bring or buy some mosie repellent (can get them at the pharmacies here) for your daughter in case you decide to walk around a lot. malaria isn't a huge issue, but dengue is and very unpleasant for your little girl. GE mall down Jalan Ampang is also family friendly especially on weekends, there's a good spa you and your wife can check out called energy, and a gymboree next door for your girl to play in and do some excercise under watchful supervision of their staff.

Hope you have a great time in KL and langkawi!Sandra
StemLife

Hi all,

Cheers.
Old May 7th 2005, 5:20 pm
Superfreak!!

Thanks for your reply`s guys

We booked via Malaysian Airlines and will be staying at the Tanjung Sanctuary in Langkawi, and the Crown Princess Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

What I`d really like to know now is what price you can get the Sony PSP for in KL
Old May 7th 2005, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Bengyboo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply`s guys

We booked via Malaysian Airlines and will be staying at the Tanjung Sanctuary in Langkawi, and the Crown Princess Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

What I`d really like to know now is what price you can get the Sony PSP for in KL
Hi Stormz,
Langkawi....great, our favorite Malaysia place. Andaman resort is good for a days visit I think you can get a day pass, it has a slide into the pool to keep the kids amused for hours and it is reasonably close to the place you are staying. We hired a car to get to and from Kuah town, big shopping centre there with all sorts of bargains.

People are very friendly all over and are very welcoming if you stop at a side of road stall, we got some laundry done in a laundrette (house with washing machine) just as you turn into the Andaman road. Full wash 90p!! Much rather spend there than at hotel.

Thai Barn (I think) restaurant is fun as it is in the mangrove swamp, accessed by a wooden walkway through the swamp.

Cable car definitely worth 1/2 a day it goes very very high.

I would suggest hiring a car to get around, good roads, great fun.

Good luck.