Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Should we go to Kuala Lumpur?

Should we go to Kuala Lumpur?

Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:10 am
buzzybee

Default Should we go to Kuala Lumpur?

My husband has been offered a project in Kuala Lumpur from Mid Jan to May 2004. We have a 3 yr old son. What is it like in terms of health and safety. Should we be concerned about pollution and the prevelance of Dengue fever? Are the nursery schools good? Any pointers on living there as an expat would be appreciated.

Old Nov 17th 2004, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice
Default Re: Should we go to Kuala Lumpur?

Originally Posted by buzzybee
My husband has been offered a project in Kuala Lumpur from Mid Jan to May 2004. We have a 3 yr old son. What is it like in terms of health and safety. Should we be concerned about pollution and the prevelance of Dengue fever? Are the nursery schools good? Any pointers on living there as an expat would be appreciated.

Living in KL should not be a problem, as there are lot of expats here. Condos in Bangsar, Mont Kiara and Ampang are popular with them, as shops, supermarkets, pubs, schools & banks are nearby. If you live in an aircond condo then it is extremely unlikely that any of you will catch dengue.

(The disease is spread by mosquitoes which breed where there is still water and lot of undergrowth).

KL has very good infrastructure - among the best in this part of the world, and you will find it a fairly modern city. As with many big cities, there is some pollution, but nothing to worry about. There are numerous private hospitals and clinics ( some are open for 24 hours ) here.

You'll need to check the web for international nursery schools. Local nursery schools are found in residental areas, but tend to follow the Malaysian syllabus.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:16 am
buzzybee

Cool Re: Should we go to Kuala Lumpur?

Thank you for putting my mind at rest. I think the project in Malaysia will be a welcome change for us.

Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Go for it... I lived there for 3.5 years and would be back there in a heartbeat.

You will have no problems with meeting up with the expat community. Malaysia is very multi cultural, there are people living there from all parts of the world.

There is a group called BWA - British Womens Association, When you get there, call the British Embassy and they will put you in contact with them.

As I am an Aussie, I joined MANZA - Malaysian New Zealand Association, you can also join them as they take all walks of life - unfortunately BWA will only take British Women and Parteners. Manza have a lot more social functions - BBQ's, monthly nights out etc..

Not to put BWA down - by no means, I mostly was with my British friends whilst living in Tamun Tun Dr Ismail (TTDI) and they were a great bunch, but it was a lot more social with MANZA (for hubby and family).

You have to take the plunge, it is a wonderful experience and I envy you.....wish I was in your shoes..I miss KL so much.

If you go, have a great time. But remember to contact the embassy as soon as you ge there - it makes such a difference to get to meet up with fellow expats.

Cheers

Last edited by suebo; Nov 19th 2004 at 11:54 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 1:35 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Should we go to Kuala Lumpur?

I have to agree with Suebo's post; you will have a fantastic time in KL. (I lived in neighbouring Singapore for a few years and was an office volunteer in ANZA, although I'm English. We used to receive the MANZA monthly newsletter). My sister-in-law lived in KL for a while (worked at the British High Commission) and really enjoyed it there. In the 'foreigners group' I'm in (I currently live in New Jersey, just outside NYC) another English expat moved here last year after spending a few years in KL....she misses it terribly....she may even have met Suebo on the expat circluit.. Catriona's lucky...her sister now lives in KL so she's going out for a visit in January.

Like Suebo, I'd go back to SE Asia in a heartbeat.

You might find the British Association activities to be a bit 'sedate' (I did so didn't bother joining and joined ANZA instead!). Here are the Malaysian and Singaporean websites so you can see the expat events which take place:

http://www.manza.org (you will be able to find out about playgroups and nurseries via manza)

http://www.anza.org.sg

You will have a blast! Good Luck!
Old Nov 21st 2004, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Correction to last post - for some reason I can not edit it....
MANZA - Malaysian Australian New Zealand Association.

Cheers