Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Malaysia - where to buy.

Malaysia - where to buy.

Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

daveA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Malaysia - where to buy.

Just approaching 50. Interested in retiring to Malaysia, or at least spend a few months there each year.
Looking at visiting this December to look for a property. However, I’ve no idea where to look. Would like bungalow on a plot of land. But looking at the prices, they seem out of my price range (500,000 myr). Any suggestions?
Big thanks in advance Dave
Old Aug 6th 2005, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

VanTheMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Malaysia - where to buy.

G'day,

It really depends on the location. What is your current budget and where do you intend to settle in? Prices for property around Kuala Lumpur and the CBD are definitely higher compared to other places. Alternatively, i believed you can get a bungalow on a plot of land for aorund MYR300K in the country side.

Rgds,
Van

Originally Posted by daveA
Just approaching 50. Interested in retiring to Malaysia, or at least spend a few months there each year.
Looking at visiting this December to look for a property. However, I’ve no idea where to look. Would like bungalow on a plot of land. But looking at the prices, they seem out of my price range (500,000 myr). Any suggestions?
Big thanks in advance Dave
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:31 am
Just Joined

daveA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VanTheMan
G'day,

It really depends on the location. What is your current budget and where do you intend to settle in? Prices for property around Kuala Lumpur and the CBD are definitely higher compared to other places. Alternatively, i believed you can get a bungalow on a plot of land for aorund MYR300K in the country side.

Rgds,
Van
My budget is MYR500,000. I guess my biggest problem will be changing lifestyle from ‘tourist’ to living there permanently / semi-permanently. However I do need access to shops, restaurants, etc. so access to a major town/city is important. On the other hand I would like access to a beach. Living right next to the beach seems great but realistically, I guess I will soon get tired of it.
Have property prices increased recently? I looked on real estate web sites and they seem expensive MYR1M+. Where will I find an agent that covers the country side?
My monthly income will be MYR10,000 – MYR20,000 per month is this sufficient for a reasonable lifestyle?
Regards Dave
Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

VanTheMan is an unknown quantity at this point

MYR500,000 is sufficient to get you a very good and big semi detachable terrace house in the Klang Valley It's very convenient where all the shops, restaurants, pubs, hotels are located near to each another. Public transport is not bad either. You can simply go down to the city within 30 mins with MRT, LRT or commuters besides busses and taxis. This depends on the traffic situation also. You wouldn't wanna drive to the city during 5 to 7pm where everyone is going back from the office.

Most of the beaches are located out from the city. You can try Port Dickson or Malacca. The property there are cheaper compared to Klang Valley.
Property prices in Klang Valley/KL increases from time to time. From what I observed, most of the people in KL stayed in Condominiums/Flats which costs them around MYR300K to 400K a unit. Some semi detachable terrace also costs almost MYR1M.

With MYR10 to MYR20K monthly income, you can have a good and reasonable life in Malaysia. But it all depends on where you're staying. Do let me know the specific location that you're interested in. I might be able to give you some information or opinion regarding the area.

Regards,
Van

Originally Posted by daveA
My budget is MYR500,000. I guess my biggest problem will be changing lifestyle from ‘tourist’ to living there permanently / semi-permanently. However I do need access to shops, restaurants, etc. so access to a major town/city is important. On the other hand I would like access to a beach. Living right next to the beach seems great but realistically, I guess I will soon get tired of it.
Have property prices increased recently? I looked on real estate web sites and they seem expensive MYR1M+. Where will I find an agent that covers the country side?
My monthly income will be MYR10,000 – MYR20,000 per month is this sufficient for a reasonable lifestyle?
Regards Dave