Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Learning dis./Autism. Do you live in the Far East & know anyone with support needs?

Learning dis./Autism. Do you live in the Far East & know anyone with support needs?

Old Dec 16th 2012, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

StephenKelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning dis./Autism. Do you live in the Far East & know anyone with support needs?

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am looking at the possibility of moving to the Far East and am trying to gauge if there is any call for my profession. It appears (from my time spent in Vietnam/Cambodia - and friends living in Thailand) that there is a lack of support for people with learning disabilities and/or autism. While I acknowledge there could well be significant cultural differences which make the call for my type of work less-so than here in the UK, I also suspect there could be ex-pat people living in these areas who don't have access to the same kind of support with have here in the UK.

I'm keen to know about what kind of support (if any) is available? Or are you someone who has, or cares for someone who has support needs?

I realise this could be information you don't want to discuss in an open forum so I'm happy to receive private messages.

Many many thanks for your help, this information could help me decide on a significantly different direction for the rest of my life!!

Stephen
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning dis./Autism. Do you live in the Far East & know anyone with support need

Originally Posted by StephenKelly
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am looking at the possibility of moving to the Far East and am trying to gauge if there is any call for my profession. It appears (from my time spent in Vietnam/Cambodia - and friends living in Thailand) that there is a lack of support for people with learning disabilities and/or autism. While I acknowledge there could well be significant cultural differences which make the call for my type of work less-so than here in the UK, I also suspect there could be ex-pat people living in these areas who don't have access to the same kind of support with have here in the UK.

I'm keen to know about what kind of support (if any) is available? Or are you someone who has, or cares for someone who has support needs?

I realise this could be information you don't want to discuss in an open forum so I'm happy to receive private messages.

Many many thanks for your help, this information could help me decide on a significantly different direction for the rest of my life!!

Stephen
Hard to answer without knowing what in the UK to compare with.

But from what I have seen nothing is provided in SE Asia?

We have self funded our daughters Aides and her team since the age of 3.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

StephenKelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Learning dis./Autism. Do you live in the Far East & know anyone with support need

That's a very good point RedDragon, sorry, I've kind of assumed everyone will know how good (most of the time) UK services can be.

May I ask where you're based? I'm also curious to know what kind of support you've found for your daughter? Sorry, so many questions which are essentially none of my business! Hope you don't mind me prying.

My best to you and your family,

Stephen