To go or not to Go??

Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:14 am
Just Joined

gonggong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To go or not to Go??

Hi all,

My company is handling this great project in Batam Island - Indonesia. That would mean pay increment, allowances.. etc etc for me. But i am wondering should i go or not?? Never heard of Batam Island, is it a great spot??

Anyone, please help!!

thanks,
despair!
Old Jul 17th 2004, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: To go or not to Go??

Originally posted by gonggong
Hi all,

My company is handling this great project in Batam Island - Indonesia. That would mean pay increment, allowances.. etc etc for me. But i am wondering should i go or not?? Never heard of Batam Island, is it a great spot??

Anyone, please help!!

thanks,
despair!
I don't know about Batam Island, but going to Indonesia as an Expat on Expat terms for a while is not a bad idea.

Very much depends upon your personal circumstances, are you married? Any kids? etc, etc.

How long is the contract for anyway?

It could be the best thing that ever happened in your career.

Cheers.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I've only just seen your post. Have you visited Batam yet? I have with my children (we used to live in Singapore. )Its basic, its developing with the help of a lot of finance from Singapore. It's very pretty, jungle, sea, beaches, a few hotels.
I knew people who went to work there and they returned to Singapore to shop each week in the "cold storage " supermarket?. Its only an hour or less on the ferry. There are shops there and even a McDonalds! We had a lovely chilli crab lunch at a basic fish food restaurant near the beach.
You need to sort out a good package of allowances. Are you single or married? A good housing allowance, a car, a club membership perhaps somewhere you can make friends, flights back to uk. Oh yes and we took anti malarial tablets because there had been a few cases of malaria. Just be prepared to use insect spray! Do PM me if you want to ask any more Questions.
Good luck
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 11:51 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To go or not to Go??

Originally posted by gonggong
Hi all,

Anyone, please help!!

thanks,
despair!
Hiya...

I am Indonesian, from central java. Been to Batam for few times. Will you go to Batam with your family? To be honest not much things to offers for families life in Batam. But you can travel to Singapore once a week for your weekend gate away.

Just point to note: Once you get your working permit you will have to pay 'fiscal tax' everytime you leave the country. It will be about 1.000.000 rupiahs by air and 500.000 by sea. You will have to take that into account. Will cost you a fortune if you pay for 5 person (2 adult and 3 kids), will cost you 5.000.000 rupiahs by air and 2.500.000 rupiahs by sea.

Hope this help.