Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to Malaysia

Emigrating to Malaysia

Old May 20th 2005, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

choonghengchu has a spectacular aura aboutchoonghengchu has a spectacular aura aboutchoonghengchu has a spectacular aura about
Default Emigrating to Malaysia

I am a Malaysian and until 15 years ago live at home. Moved to London, 15 years ago and now working in the city in Financial Services. I would like to relocate back to KL with my family. I have a little girl of 6 years old and my husband who is a British citizen. In terms of culture change, it would be ok, as we visit M'sia annually and have a few friends from university days, family ties, etc.

In terms of immigration wise, what will my husband and daughter have to do? Can I get them to apply for PR over here in London? Or do I have to do that once we have relocated back home. Does that mean that they will have to leave the country every 2 months and come back in via S'pore? Jobs wise - any restrictions? HELP!
Old May 21st 2005, 9:56 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to Malaysia

Originally Posted by choonghengchu
I am a Malaysian and until 15 years ago live at home. Moved to London, 15 years ago and now working in the city in Financial Services. I would like to relocate back to KL with my family. I have a little girl of 6 years old and my husband who is a British citizen. In terms of culture change, it would be ok, as we visit M'sia annually and have a few friends from university days, family ties, etc.

In terms of immigration wise, what will my husband and daughter have to do? Can I get them to apply for PR over here in London? Or do I have to do that once we have relocated back home. Does that mean that they will have to leave the country every 2 months and come back in via S'pore? Jobs wise - any restrictions? HELP!
Is your daughter a Malaysian citizen? I presume she's not.

Take a look at this page:
http://www.imi.gov.my/ENG/Perkhidmat...oIstimewa3.asp

Peter
Old May 21st 2005, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

choonghengchu has a spectacular aura aboutchoonghengchu has a spectacular aura aboutchoonghengchu has a spectacular aura about

She is not, I'm afraid

Originally Posted by ptlabs
Is your daughter a Malaysian citizen? I presume she's not.

Take a look at this page:
http://www.imi.gov.my/ENG/Perkhidmat...oIstimewa3.asp

Peter
Old May 21st 2005, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bengyboo is an unknown quantity at this point

She is not, I'm afraid
What about "Malaysia my second home" scheme?? I think that is renewed every 5 years??
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:07 am
Just Joined

I was wondering about that as well as the PR issue. Since I'm a M'sian isn't that easier for the the rest of my family; my daughter and husband. The Malaysia my second home - I think do not allow my husband to work in M'sia.

Originally Posted by Bengyboo
What about "Malaysia my second home" scheme?? I think that is renewed every 5 years??
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bengyboo is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering about that as well as the PR issue. Since I'm a M'sian isn't that easier for the the rest of my family; my daughter and husband. The Malaysia my second home - I think do not allow my husband to work in M'sia.
Taken from www.mm2h.com, looks like working will be difficult on 2nd home visa (see final paragraph), maybe they agree to certain employment??

Eligibility.
The programme is open to all foreign citizens except those from Israel, Montenegro and Yugoslavia). Approved applicants can stay in Malaysia on a long stay Social Visit Pass with a multiple entry visa valid for five years. The visa is renewable. This program is open to all foreigners of all ages. They are allowed to bring along their dependants and one maid. Overseas income is free of tax and applicants can bring all their household effects and one car duty free into Malaysia. Alternatively new visa holders may acquire a car in Malaysia free of any duty. However advance approval is required to import or buy a car duty free.

Finance/Income
Applicants above 50 years must meet one of the following conditions. Applicants below 50 years of age must meet both. In the case of a married couple only one needs to be above 50 years of age to qualify.
1) A Fixed Deposit (in a local Malaysian bank) of RM 150,000.00 if married or RM100,000 if single. The funds have to be left in the bank during the period the visa is valid.
2) A fixed monthly income over RM10,000 a month or RM7000 if single. This could be a pension, dividends or other regular income. Documentary evidence will be require as proof of the income.

Sponsor
The requirement for a sponsor can be waived if enough proof can be provided to show that applicant is genuine, and there is no falsification of applicant’s background, financial status and lifestyle. Alternatively applicants can acquire the services of companies that have been selected as sponsors by the Malaysian Immigration Department.

Insurance Coverage / Medical Report
Applicants must possess a valid medical insurance policy from any insurance company that is valid in Malaysia together with a medical report from any recognised Medical Institution. The medical can be conducted in Malaysia. The requirement for medical insurance can be waived if the person is unable to get coverage because of their age or they have been denied coverage by the insurance company.

Education
Applicants are allowed to bring along their dependants (children) either not schooling or are schooling in primary, secondary or in any Institution of higher Learning. However, dependants who are schooling are required to apply for a Student Pass to continue their education in schools or Institutions of Higher Learning recognised by the government.

Taxes
Successful applicants are bound by the policies, systems and regulations of taxes of this country however their overseas income will not be taxed in Malaysia.

Security Vetting
Approvals are given subject to security vetting clearance conducted by the Royal Malaysian Police.

Restrictions
Successful applicants are STRICTLY forbidden from the following:

Being employed anywhere in Malaysia unless approved by the government.
Participating in activities that can be considered as sensitive to the local people like political or missionary activities.
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice

For wifes of Malaysian citizens, they will need to live in Malaysia for 5 years before they are eligible to apply for PR. How long it takes to finally get the PR after applying is another matter - a few have got it within 2 to 3 years while many have been waiting for more than 10 years. For husbands of Malaysian citizens, I believe the process will take even longer. In short, I do not think it is possible to apply for PR while in London.

You will need to go to the Malaysian embassy and apply for a social visit pass first for your husband and child. They may give a one month visa which can be renewed in KL. In the case of foreign wifes I believe they give either a 3 month visa or 6 month visa till they complete 1 year stay in Malaysia, afterwhich they issue 1 year visas, which needs to be renewed prior to expiry. You do not need to leave the country to renew the visas. If your husband and child enter Malaysia on tourist visas ( instead of social visit visas) then all of you need to leave Malaysia to apply for the social visit visas)
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:51 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shriver9
You will need to go to the Malaysian embassy and apply for a social visit pass first for your husband and child. They may give a one month visa which can be renewed in KL. In the case of foreign wifes I believe they give either a 3 month visa or 6 month visa till they complete 1 year stay in Malaysia, afterwhich they issue 1 year visas, which needs to be renewed prior to expiry. You do not need to leave the country to renew the visas. If your husband and child enter Malaysia on tourist visas ( instead of social visit visas) then all of you need to leave Malaysia to apply for the social visit visas)
choonghengchu's husband and daughter should not need to apply for a social visit pass beforehand, as British citizens (I'm assuming they both are) will be given social visit passes upon arrival in Malaysia. What they'll need to apply for is long-term social visit passes, which allow for multiple entries for several months. I do not believe a foreign spouse of a Malaysian citizen can apply for Malaysian permanent resident status abroad.

The problem with Malaysian immigration is that you can get different stories from different offices, depending on who you ask and where you're asking at.

Peter
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:56 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Malaysia doesn't have a functional international family reunion immigration policy. Most Malaysian citizens with foreign partners end up in that partner's countries Just look at how many Malaysian citizens living in Singapore with Singaporean partners.

And, as I've just remarked to a friend while observing the Naomi Leong saga unfold in Australia, Malaysian citizenship/immigration laws are not gender neutral.

Peter
Old May 24th 2005, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice

choonghengchu's husband and daughter should not need to apply for a social visit pass beforehand, as British citizens (I'm assuming they both are) will be given social visit passes upon arrival in Malaysia. What they'll need to apply for is long-term social visit passes, which allow for multiple entries for several months. I do not believe a foreign spouse of a Malaysian citizen can apply for Malaysian permanent resident status abroad.

The problem with Malaysian immigration is that you can get different stories from different offices, depending on who you ask and where you're asking at.

Peter
Its best that she visits the embassy to clarify things. Lets not confuse tourist visa with social visa applicable to spouses of Malaysian citizens.
Old May 24th 2005, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

Don't have a full answer, but I do know for sure that foreign husbans of Malaysian women are allowed to work in Malaysia. I think the husband has to enter as a visitor and then apply once there to stay and work.

Try calling the Malaysian High Comm in London. Surprisingly, for Malaysian civil servants, they are actually very helpful !!

Phil
Old May 26th 2005, 2:57 am
Grateful

yinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Re: Emigrating to Malaysia

And, as I've just remarked to a friend while observing the Naomi Leong saga unfold in Australia, Malaysian citizenship/immigration laws are not gender neutral.

Peter
I am so ashamed of this person (Naomi's mom) as a Malaysian
Old May 26th 2005, 6:25 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally Posted by yinwong
I am so ashamed of this person (Naomi's mom) as a Malaysian
Virginia (Naomi's mother) did whatever she felt she needed to do, and I can't comment as to whether it was the right thing to do or not.

But, Naomi's case proves that one shouldn't take citizenship for granted, as ignorance isn't always bliss in this case.

Peter
Old May 26th 2005, 7:16 am
Just Joined

I have asked the M'sian High Commission in London. I need to get my marriage in UK re-registered as M'sian govt do not recognise British ones. Thanks for all your help. You are all right, even with helpful civil servants, depending on who picks up the phone, I get a different answer. Basically, both my husband and daughter are British and they will both have to apply for social visit passes immediately upon arrival in KL. My daughter apparently will get her PR with immediate effect but my husband will have to have a continous stay in the country for 5 years before getting a PR. In the meantime, there's no restriction on employment, etc.

So, thank you all for all your help. By the way, anyone knows anybody that can get me a job in M'sia as either Head of Compliance or Head of Money Laundering Reporting Officer in a bank in KL?

Virginia (Naomi's mother) did whatever she felt she needed to do, and I can't comment as to whether it was the right thing to do or not.

But, Naomi's case proves that one shouldn't take citizenship for granted, as ignorance isn't always bliss in this case.

Peter
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Emigrating to Malaysia

This may be of interest, from today's 'Star' newspaper:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...887&sec=nation