Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

The Disney Shark fin soup controvery

The Disney Shark fin soup controvery

Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Disney Shark fin soup controvery

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4076408.stm

Disneyland Hong Kong has responded to criticism from environmentalists of its plans to serve shark's fin soup at a new theme park opening later this year.

Disney said it would hand out leaflets to people booking banquets, explaining the cruelty of shark fishing.
Crap compromise, or humanitarian action?

JTL
Old Jun 13th 2005, 4:36 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Disney Shark fin soup controvery

Typical selfish Hong Kong attitude.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:19 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

eating sharks fin soup very famous in the chinese community. When you can afford to buy the soup it shows that you are prosperous and very wealthy

But still i feel it is like hypocrite (spelling), either you sell it or you don't.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Typical selfish Hong Kong attitude.

Careful now!!

This is Disney Corporation making the decision not Hong Kong.

JTL
Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:00 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Careful now!!

This is Disney Corporation making the decision not Hong Kong.

JTL
The Disney corporation is kow-towing to their main market which is the mainlanders. I suspect they had pangolin, civet cats and dog meat on the menu at one stage but voted against them!
I don't think that the Disneyland here is going to have too much in common with those in the rest of the world. They had a soft opening yesterday and half the rides didn't work!
My wife wrote to Disney to express her disgust at the serving of Shark's Fin soup and their reply was very wet- I'll post it when she sends it to me.
They know Shark's Fin is contraversial and there're a load of things they could serve instead. Imagine what would happen if Disneyland Paris put horsemeat steaks on their menu.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=JackTheLad]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4076408.stm

Poor, poor, sharks, vicious things, we could do with a few less and allow the ordinary fish population to grow a bit larger.
If we see the sharks swimming with their fin above the water surely it isn't needed very much.......how about removing it from the fish and letting it go back to the seas,..all under anaesthetic of course.

It amazes me to see the tons of shellfish that is caught every day round Hongkong, but looking at the huge population of the country crowded into a tiny space near the water front it is easy to understand why the shellfish abound.......probably the ground rumbles in the city when everyone flushes the loo at 7am in the morning.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:30 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I do enjoy a bowl of sharks fin soup it's just delicious.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:13 am
Remember

Here's the reply from Disneyland:

We thank you for your email and sharing your
> concerns with us.
>
> During the past weeks, we have also heard the
> opinions and comments made
> by the conservation community and various different
> groups. We have
> given careful consideration to this matter.
>
> Hong Kong Disneyland takes environmental stewardship
> very seriously. We
> are also equally sensitive to local cultures.
>
> As the dish is considered an integral part of a
> Chinese wedding banquet,
> it is customary for Chinese restaurants and
> five-star hotels to serve
> shark's fin soup in Hong Kong. Since Hong Kong
> Disneyland is located in
> Asia, we believe that we have the obligation to
> offer choices to all of
> our guests.
>
> With this in mind, we feel that it is very important
> to balance between
> environmental concerns and respect for the local
> culture, so therefore
> we are taking the following proactive measures:
>
> -Hong Kong Disneyland is committed to source from
> reliable and
> responsible suppliers that adhere to International
> Treaties such as, the
> Official Journal of the European Union Council
> Regulation, the US Shark
> Finning Prohibition Act and the Convention on
> International Trade in
> Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
>
> -We will work with our Guests to ensure that they
> are aware of many
> other menu alternatives that could be incorporated
> into their banquets.
> The dish will only be served to guests at private
> functions upon their
> special request.
>
> -We also believe that it is important to provide
> potential guests with
> an informed choice. We are working with a local
> environmental group to
> present informative material to all guests
> requesting shark?s fin soup
> so they can make an informed decision and are aware
> of related
> environmental concerns.
>
>
> On behalf of Hong Kong Disneyland, I would like to
> thank you once again
> for sharing your concerns with us.
>
>
> Yours Sincerely,
>
> Guest Communications
> Hong Kong Disneyland
Old Jun 27th 2005, 6:19 am
Remember

In case you haven't heard, Disney has droppped Shark's Fin soup from their menu, though they didn't cite public pressure from schools boycotting Disney and its products and and animal rights and conservation groups as the reason- instead they claimed that the reason was that they couldn't find a sustainable source of the product.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In case you haven't heard, Disney has droppped Shark's Fin soup from their menu, though they didn't cite public pressure from schools boycotting Disney and its products and and animal rights and conservation groups as the reason- instead they claimed that the reason was that they couldn't find a sustainable source of the product.
The story I read from a HK Chinese newspaper is that Disney couldn't find a supplier that could guarantee "eco-friendly" supply of shark's fin. I'm not pro or against Disney on the shark's fin soup, but am amused by the way they are reacting. I'm not big fan of shark's fin soup but don't mind it if I'm offered a good bowl of it.

Mrs JTL
P.S. This does not represent the view of the rest of the JTL household.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The press seem to really have it in for Disneyland Hong Kong.

Dogs' fate gnaws at HK Disneyland
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4717347.stm

Since May, Disney has called in local officials to round up and destroy at least 40 dogs, the South China Morning Post newspaper reported.

Disney, whose cartoons often portray cute animal characters, said the packs of dogs posed a threat to its staff.
JTL
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

The Disney corporation is kow-towing to their main market which is the mainlanders. I suspect they had pangolin, civet cats and dog meat on the menu at one stage but voted against them!
I don't think that the Disneyland here is going to have too much in common with those in the rest of the world. They had a soft opening yesterday and half the rides didn't work!
My wife wrote to Disney to express her disgust at the serving of Shark's Fin soup and their reply was very wet- I'll post it when she sends it to me.
They know Shark's Fin is contraversial and there're a load of things they could serve instead. Imagine what would happen if Disneyland Paris put horsemeat steaks on their menu.

Isn't most "steak" you eat in France horse?
I really object going into a French Restaurant to be shown a notice saying"we only serve French Beef" .
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:05 am
Remember

I'm not French and no, most steaks in france are not horse, and do you complain when you go into a restaurant and see NZ beef served?
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not French and no, most steaks in france are not horse, and do you complain when you go into a restaurant and see NZ beef served?
Taking ze pissoir.
I love French food/wine/country/architecture
Never had NZ beef. Is it as good as Scottish?
We go to France every June to eat ze frois Gras and ze patisserie, and incidentally to see 3 grandchildren and their Mum, have a glass or three of Pinaud de Charente,and drive around in a piddling little hired twingo.
Great life.
My name is nothing to do with N.Z. More to do with a general of yore.
Oh,and on the main subject ,whatever Disney say, shark Fin soup is a horror that should be banned worldwide. There is no excuse for the inevitable cruelty resulting from this "delicacy"

Last edited by John Speed; Nov 1st 2005 at 6:31 am.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:43 am
Remember

A Twingo! really?