Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Buying Doxycycline In Thailand???

Buying Doxycycline In Thailand???

Old Sep 17th 2003, 11:10 am
Just Joined

philoconnor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying Doxycycline In Thailand???

I've just seen the price for 100 tablets of Doxycycline and nearly fell of my chair - £50.

I'm going away for a year with my girlfriend to Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam and have been advised I will need to take this anitmalarial drug constantly in Vietnam, and most of the time in Thailand. This will cost about £350 for the pair of us for the year!!

Does anybody know if you can buy this drug or similar ones on arival in Bangkok??

Cheers

Phil
Old Sep 19th 2003, 9:47 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default doxycycline

are you sure doxycline is is used for anti maleria ? seek some medical advice.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:39 am
Just Joined

traveller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default malaria

hi phil oconnor, i am about to go on a rtw and have been enquiring about malaria prevention. in thailand u only need to take pretentative measures near the border areas of cambodia and mynamar and on ko chang. i have heard that u can purchase them in bangkok but should buy them from a reputable pharmacist ie. Boots as there are counterfeit drugs going about.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

pitty is an unknown quantity at this point

yafm - doxy is an antibiotic and is effective as an anti-malarial drug. its also handy if your wounds go a bit manky.

when my g/f and i left uk for a 7 month jaunt in SEAsia we also spent about 200quid buying pills. But after a month we didnt take them any more. we went to thailand, malaysia and sumatera indonesia. vietnam would be a place where i would take them and , yes, the border areas - but if you are lazing on a beach somewhere (dont know about koh Chang) then i wouldnt imagine a very high risk. check with the other travellers when yure there.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

joely is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Think carefuly about this

Maybe you should think about this a bit more before shelling out all that cash. I say; don't bother with the malaria tablets. There's lots of well documented research on the negative side-affects of anti-malarial tablets and I really do think you'd be better off just taking good care not to be bitten. The kind of mozzies that carry malaria are only biting from dusk to dawn so spend some of the cash that would have gone on the expensive pills and invest in a good quality mosquito net, some mosquito repellent and cover up at dusk and dawn. If you’re careful and do all the things mentioned above you’ll seriously limit the number of times you get bitten (Even if the little B*****S do get you a few times it would be highly unlikely that you’d contract the big M) and you won’t have to worry about, or suffer, some of the many side affects. For some scary stories about the negative side affects of anti-malarials type “side affects anti-malaria tablets� into google. Me, I just got very sick and haven’t taken them again for the last ten years I’ve spent in Asia. That said you, of course, have to weigh up the pros and cons for yourself and make the informed decision but in my humble opinion and that of many others anti malarials are more trouble than they are worth. Just don't get bit! (by the way i'm sure if you decide to but them in Bangkok you;l be able to find them, there are plenty of well stocked pharmacies in the city and prices are much cheaper than UK/US