Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where in Europe for a 1 or 2 year adventure? (with two young children!)

Where in Europe for a 1 or 2 year adventure? (with two young children!)

Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Merrytraveller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in Europe for a 1 or 2 year adventure? (with two young children!)

After many years living in Australia we need a good dose of Europe but do not want to return to the UK, (we will return to Australia in a few years).
We don't have much by way of savings so will need to earn enough to live off for the entire time, (but are happy to leave with just our health and a second language). I can't see a way either of us could continue in a career job so we're exploring temporary alternatives that would enable us to work in a country where we are not fluent in the local language (e.g. teaching English or managing a B&B targeting English tourists).
We have two little boys (aged 1 and 3 years old).

Considering:
Spain - We met and married here, we LOVE the lifestyle/how child friendly it is and both have an intermediate grasp of the language, however I don't know if this is feasible due to the high unemployment level.
Germany, France or Italy - Would love to learn & share with my children any of the languages of these beautiful countries. But don't know much about what it would be like to live in them.
Netherlands - Beautiful country and it's possible we could get career work as English is widely spoken. Not sure what it's like to live here with children & don't know that Dutch is the most useful second language.

Would appreciate advice on:
- Good place to live with young children
- Where it would be easy to fit in and make friends (either local or expat, I don't care, just like lots of people around me!)
- Any links that may be useful in finding B&B/Ski lodge/etc to manage (the websites I've found just want to sell them)
- Other tips on finding work
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:30 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Europe for a 1 or 2 year adventure? (with two young children!)

Hi, you might get more response if you post in each individual country!
(I personally wouldn't recommend coming to France if you'll need to work.)
Good luck, wherever!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:35 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Europe for a 1 or 2 year adventure? (with two young children!)

Same with Spain the heights unemployment in the EU and the year end figures were the worst in the EU too. Germany has the best with NL the second best.
But where ever you go you will find that a navite speaker of the home language will always that edge over you when getting that job.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Merrytraveller is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for your responses. I think we will need to work out how we can earn money before we go any further!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:09 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merrytraveller
Thank you both for your responses. I think we will need to work out how we can earn money before we go any further!
Welcome to the Forum, You could time it with the Fruit picking seasons in the UK Hop Picking in Kent Apple Picking on the Welsh English Border and Raspberry picking near Glasgow. It's an industry that by nature uses a lot of casual easy going labour. Dont know about the rest of Europe but im pretty sure there is fruit picking in most countries