Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving in Europe Using a UK Car - Which Countries can I go to?

Driving in Europe Using a UK Car - Which Countries can I go to?

Old Feb 18th 2011, 3:37 am
Just Joined

kelv3833 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in Europe Using a UK Car - Which Countries can I go to?

Hi all,

First post here. I am planning to travel to the UK, buy a car and travel through Europe for several months then head back to the UK. Does anyone have a link, list or map of countries I can legally drive a UK registered car in? I have an international driving permit and was thinking of including Turkey and Croatia/Bosnia in my travels as well.

Also, do you know any good insurance companies that would cover all these countries?

Let me know your thoughts or if there is anything else I should be considering.

Many thanks,
Kelvin
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:03 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving in Europe Using a UK Car - Which Countries can I go to?

Originally Posted by kelv3833
Hi all,

First post here. I am planning to travel to the UK, buy a car and travel through Europe for several months then head back to the UK. Does anyone have a link, list or map of countries I can legally drive a UK registered car in? I have an international driving permit and was thinking of including Turkey and Croatia/Bosnia in my travels as well.

Also, do you know any good insurance companies that would cover all these countries?

Let me know your thoughts or if there is anything else I should be considering.

Many thanks,
Kelvin
Welcome to the Forum, You will need a UK address to register the car to. Travelling in Europe is not an issue but you would need to check specifically with the insurance company you use to insure the car has to how long the car is covered and what type of cover you have outside of the UK.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Europe Using a UK Car - Which Countries can I go to?

Its usually 90 days cover abroad if you insure in the UK. However from personal experience I can tell you that it will be very difficult to register a car in your name in the UK if you are not a UK resident. You may well manage it, but you will need a UK address as Ka Ora said.

I am a UK passport holder living in Spain and when I enquired about registering a car in the UK (at my UK address) I was told it was not possible. I was also told by the insurance company that they would not insure me if I was not a UK resident.