Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter cities in the world

Winter cities in the world

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Borje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to all
Default Winter cities in the world

In this thread i would like people from winter cities around the world to post pictures and write articles about things that goes one in winter cities. I live in Kiruna the North most town in Sweden. Name of our town in native language is Giron and in Finnish Kiiruna. In our Municipal we have 24000 inhabitants. Global position 67° 51′ 0″ N, 20° 13′ 0″ E.

Most people in the world do not like winter and cold climate. In my opinion the winter gives opportunities to do fantastic things. Here are some picture from today.

Kiruna 22 January . Snowmobiling in the mountains.

Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:09 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter cities in the world

A lot of our Spanish guest thing that this part of Spain is cold and are constantly asking why do I live is such a cold climate.
May be I should print this off and show them that it it not cold hear at all.
Thanks for posting some lovely photos.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Lovely pics......reminds me of winterpeg.....
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Borje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to allBorje S is a name known to all

This weekend our town is going to have a snow festival. To celebrate the winter and the opportunity’s it gives. It’s a happy occasion with a lot of people visiting the festival. I think it’s nice with the atmosphere of feast.

http://kirunalapland.se/en/Home/

Last edited by Borje S; Jan 27th 2011 at 6:29 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.google.se/images?hl=sv&rl...w=1345&bih=469
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

200 km south of my town there is a winter market this weekend in a village called Jokkmokk. The oldest market place in my region. 300 years old

http://www.turism.jokkmokk.se/en/act....aspx?p=438046

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsl-O...eature=related

http://www.360cities.net/virtual-tou...nd?view=simple
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.nsd.se/bildspel/standalon...=640&width=632
Old Feb 10th 2011, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Default Arctic ballon adventure

http://www.hot-air-balloon-adventure...1_dt_mitAn.pdf

Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Luvverly piccies , mates !
If U happen to like ths kinda stuff , don't Ever , Never contemplate coming into our uggliest Bruxelles , La Capitale of gone-mad EUrope ! ;
just this a.m. sometime after 08.00 , took me well-over an hour and a half , in my lovely , impeccable silver auto 230 SLK Merc , to accomplish some 20-odd km of inner-city-roads , messy unattended dug-up road-works and never-ending congestion/s , from Uccle/Ixelles to places called Meiser , Reyers , Josaphat ...infested with some of the world's ugggliest architect-connived abortions , in gloomy Moscovite beton , blue/grey glass , aluminium , all stylelless , unpleasant , unesthetic-all and totally revolting , to one's eye and mind ! ...what all , combined with the heaviest of bumper-to-bumper , ruuuude trafffic , thousands of dilly , lost foreigners unable to manage big-city traffic , where to go & where/when to get off , i.e. outta your face & off your windscreen-like , crazy life-gambling motocyclists , brain-absent "green" but yet non-sensical arrogant , dangerous life-threatening bycylists , to too-many funniest of busses and some uggliest , filthyiest huugest trucks ever seen , trucks with plates from Greece , Moldavia , Ukraine , Byelorussia , Lithuania , Serbia , Turkey , Bosnia , and whereeverelse you don't find those smugglers ,
hey , if that's the "new" EU , who wants or needs any more of utter shiiiite like that ?
I'm 60+ and won't expect to be kicking 'round here for very much longer , but : woe & behold the younger ones and their offspring , what with all the super high-costs , insane-st CoL and taxation and what else the EU prepares to still impose to it's silly , unsuspecting , mislead sheep ...yeah , I Could go on like this , for many an extra hour , but : some get the gist already , I hope ?
Good Luck , Bon Courage ,
R.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

I think i got your point . My city does not offer the traffic problem that you described and not so many trailers. But some ugly architecture can be found for sure. I have been on holidays in south Europa with car and I don’t miss the traffic jams that I experienced down there. I think that there are winter cities any way with traffic problems and grey ugly buildings. Ill guess that Novosibirsk are gray and maybe Edmonton Calgary does have some traffic problems.
Big citys offers many god as well as bad things and what you described is on the poor side. On the other hand I had a very very ruff winter with extreme temperatures that a traffic jam would feel reliving for a change. Instead of minus 25c.

Last edited by Borje S; Feb 11th 2011 at 11:26 am.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

But the best of our 8 seasons is soon to come. Here is a taste

Spring winter
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Wow, your pics are beautiful....sweden is such a beautiful country.....
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Winter city is the word. Ávrege temp for today minus 37,5 c

http://www.temperatur.nu/kurravaara.html
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.airbusmilitary.com/PressR...in-Sweden.aspx