Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where can I live in the EU?

Where can I live in the EU?

Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where can I live in the EU?

Originally Posted by Ray51
Would anyone care to re-visit the title of this thread ?
Bosnia , Turkey , wherever else , in Balkans or Asia -
since when are any of those in the European Union ?
You are technically right, although you could have said it in a much nicer way
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

samzi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray51
Would anyone care to re-visit the title of this thread ?
Bosnia , Turkey , wherever else , in Balkans or Asia -
since when are any of those in the European Union ?
Dear Rey51

1.If you do not want here to be about Balkans atleast you should know that Romania is in EU , Greece as well and Bulgaria too!!! Or make you own Thema with EU States with your own states but some Balkan states are in EU , you like it or not...

2.check what starter person "jumamoja"has written in his second treat:
Nobody has replied to my post!!!!

"Does this mean that there is nowhere in the European Union where I could buy somewhere to live with the money I have available and survive on my meagre income?????

PLEASE!! Any sensible suggestions welcomed!!! Such as there may be a half-way decent place in which I could afford to rent, if not buy decent accomodation?

Even a country out side the EU (Turkey? Montenego?) would do as long it has a reasonably sound ecoonomy, no idiotic currency restrictions and no crazy visa requirements."

Kind regards
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samzi
Dear Rey51

1.If you do not want here to be about Balkans atleast you should know that Romania is in EU , Greece as well and Bulgaria too!!! Or make you own Thema with EU States with your own states but some Balkan states are in EU , you like it or not...

2.check what starter person "jumamoja"has written in his second treat:

"Does this mean that there is nowhere in the European Union where I could buy somewhere to live with the money I have available and survive on my meagre income?????

PLEASE!! Any sensible suggestions welcomed!!! Such as there may be a half-way decent place in which I could afford to rent, if not buy decent accomodation?

Even a country out side the EU (Turkey? Montenego?) would do as long it has a reasonably sound ecoonomy, no idiotic currency restrictions and no crazy visa requirements."

Kind regards
Ray 51 was right about the title "Where can I live in the EU?"
The OP then changed his mind later when he had no replies.
As he is on route to OZ it would probably be better to apply from UK anyway.

By the way samzi, do you work for the Boznia tourist board ? because all your post are promoting there.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

No offence was meant ; since I am very interested in the subject myself
( see my earlier posts therein and elsewhere on these forae ) I made a hasty point of correction , i.e. before we get further enthusiastic plugs in favour of e.g. some Albania , Serbia , Kosovo , Vojvodina , Montenegro etc ( all distinctly non-EU , for now , some of them : not even officially recognised as countries , in spite of much strife and wrangling about it ) .
Politics is not my forte ;
the list of current EU member-states is easy to obtain ;
to the very best of my knowledge , the only additional aspirant , which might yet be admitted before 2011 ( or indeed : might not ! , until further developments and another compromise between the powers that decide ) would be Croatia .
( N.B. IMHO : not so easy , nor cheap to live there , either ! )
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Ray 51 was right about the title "Where can I live in the EU?"
The OP then changed his mind later when he had no replies.
As he is on route to OZ it would probably be better to apply from UK anyway.

By the way samzi, do you work for the Boznia tourist board ? because all your post are promoting there.
Yes ,the list of current EU member-states is easy to obtain and there are beside other ,Romania , Bulgaria ,Slovenia (ex-Yugoslavia Federal republic) and Greece as well.

About not recognized States of Ex-Yu is only Kosovo.

Indeed Croatia property is expencive but only at sea-coast( and that dependes where as well?) but compare to Spain is cheaper and offer as much as Spain.
I do know that for years a lot of Germans buying houses in Turkey for example and living expences are cheap.

Second issue is that property in this ex-YU states( cause not member of EU now but will be in next few years) are cheap, compare to some EU states where people relocate regulary.

Even Switzerland is not member of EU but people from EU can relocate easy just as in EU member states.
It is not so important if some State is not member of EU then all countries will be in some time in EU from European States or as Switzerland is not, but they pay to new member states just as UK , Germany ...or people from EU can work in Switzerland as in any Member EU state. Switzerland is Technicly not EU but in reality is in EU for me .

Important is regarding technicaly issues : does (out of EU states) allowe to forigners from EU to buy homes or give living license...can they work and so on...

Compare this example:
I have 200 000 Euros and am interested in relocation.
Property price in old EU member states is 200 000 Euros but for simmular property in some simmular state ( new or not yet EU state) have offer 100 000 Euros for simmular home.
If I buy there will have 100 000 Euros more and could live 10 years from that money regulary better then in old EU member States.
Property in new / not yet EU member states ,will rise and in 10 years from now is possible that my home is worth that 200 000 euros or maybe more.Dependes where I Invest...

For bunch of people is money issue very important ,not all have money for Villa direct on sea-coast in old EU member states.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jumamoja

Does this mean that there is nowhere in the European Union where I could buy somewhere to live with the money I have available and survive on my meagre income?????:embaressed_smile:

Even a country out side the EU (Turkey? Montenego?) would do as long it has a reasonably sound ecoonomy, no idiotic currency restrictions and no crazy visa requirements.

The fact is that cost of living in the UK is horrendous and English culture seems to be incomprehensible to my East European (Ukrainian) wife's way of thinking. Any one who has lived in Eastern Europe would understand how moving to the West can be major culture shock (no matter what we Westerners may like to think, life in the West is no picnic).

I really want to give my wife and her kids a chance gently to adapt to western culture so they are absolutelly ready move Down Under when we are ready to apply for and are finally granted an Australian residency visa and !
YOUR QUESTION:
NOT HARD CLIMA, OWN GBP 270 PER WEEK, MONEY HOR HOUSE GBP 67000,WIFE IS RUSSIAN , SCHOOL FOR KIDS.WESTERN CULTURE.

ANSWER IS : SARAJEVO, BOSNIA.

WHY? CLIMA IS GOOD. YOUR MONEY ARE ENOUGH FOR PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR KIDS AND MONEY TO BUY GOOD HOUSE THERE. LANGUAGE IS SIMMULAR TO RUSSIAN. THEE IS BUNCH OF FORIGNERS IN SARAJEVO ...B.K AS WELL.

BRITISH AIRWAYS FLY DIRECT TO SARAJEVO . CHECK AT FIRST.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes ,the list of current EU member-states is easy to obtain and there are beside other ,Romania , Bulgaria ,Slovenia (ex-Yugoslavia Federal republic) and Greece as well.

About not recognized States of Ex-Yu is only Kosovo.

Indeed Croatia property is expencive but only at sea-coast( and that dependes where as well?) but compare to Spain is cheaper and offer as much as Spain.
I do know that for years a lot of Germans buying houses in Turkey for example and living expences are cheap.

Second issue is that property in this ex-YU states( cause not member of EU now but will be in next few years) are cheap, compare to some EU states where people relocate regulary.

Even Switzerland is not member of EU but people from EU can relocate easy just as in EU member states.
It is not so important if some State is not member of EU then all countries will be in some time in EU from European States or as Switzerland is not, but they pay to new member states just as UK , Germany ...or people from EU can work in Switzerland as in any Member EU state. Switzerland is Technicly not EU but in reality is in EU for me .

Important is regarding technicaly issues : does (out of EU states) allowe to forigners from EU to buy homes or give living license...can they work and so on...

Compare this example:
I have 200 000 Euros and am interested in relocation.
Property price in old EU member states is 200 000 Euros but for simmular property in some simmular state ( new or not yet EU state) have offer 100 000 Euros for simmular home.
If I buy there will have 100 000 Euros more and could live 10 years from that money regulary better then in old EU member States.
Property in new / not yet EU member states ,will rise and in 10 years from now is possible that my home is worth that 200 000 euros or maybe more.Dependes where I Invest...

For bunch of people is money issue very important ,not all have money for Villa direct on sea-coast in old EU member states.
Does all that answer my question ???????
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

YOUR QUESTION:
NOT HARD CLIMA, OWN GBP 270 PER WEEK, MONEY HOR HOUSE GBP 67000,WIFE IS RUSSIAN , SCHOOL FOR KIDS.WESTERN CULTURE.

ANSWER IS : SARAJEVO, BOSNIA.

WHY? CLIMA IS GOOD. YOUR MONEY ARE ENOUGH FOR PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR KIDS AND MONEY TO BUY GOOD HOUSE THERE. LANGUAGE IS SIMMULAR TO RUSSIAN. THEE IS BUNCH OF FORIGNERS IN SARAJEVO ...B.K AS WELL.

BRITISH AIRWAYS FLY DIRECT TO SARAJEVO . CHECK AT FIRST.
Hehehe , so : another BritExpats thread pretty-much hi-jacked , then ?
( "With learned friends like these , who needs enemies..."etc )
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Does all that answer my question ???????
Maybe u r not interesting in true answers. This all does answers on questions from Jumamoja ,2 treat and all other interested in relocation with not so high expencive living cost and property.
Regards

Where I work is private! But I can tell u that I work for an Swiss Consulting firm from Lugano.Not touristic.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:33 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Albania might not be a bad choice. Especially as most of Albania seems to currently live on my doorstep ! Images of rolling tumbleweed comes to mind!!