Reload this Page >

Where can I live in the EU?

Where can I live in the EU?

Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:03 pm
jumamoja

jumamoja is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where can I live in the EU?

I have a dual UK/Australian passport.

I have liquidity and could readily afford to buy somewhere to live for around GBP62000 cash (I absolutely don't want to borrow or mortgage).

I'm in the UK at the moment , my family and myself are extremely mobile and looking for somewhere to settle.

I am extremely adaptable (I've even lived in the Ukraine for three years!!!!) I have a Ukrainian Russian speaking wife who is a Russian medical doctor and two boys 8y.o. and 13y.o.

Would like a house with three bedrooms minimum preferably minimum garden (I HATE gardening:curse:!!!) & near the sea, where I can live comfortably on a UK War Pension with a weekly income of GBP270, give the boys a good education, afford decent medical cover.

I would like to find somewhere where my wife will find it easier to adapt, especially in respect to western culture and western ways of thinking

My only absolute "NO NO" is unhealthy countries with hot humid summers and long winters.

Where in the newly expanded European Union could I start to look? How should I start to look?

All ideas and advice welcomed!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:38 pm
jumamoja

jumamoja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where can I live in the EU?

Nobody has replied to my post!!!!

Does this mean that there is nowhere in the European Union where I could buy somewhere to live with the money I have available and survive on my meagre income?????:embaressed_smile:

PLEASE!! Any sensible suggestions welcomed!!! Such as there may be a half-way decent place in which I could afford to rent, if not buy decent accomodation?

Even a country out side the EU (Turkey? Montenego?) would do as long it has a reasonably sound ecoonomy, no idiotic currency restrictions and no crazy visa requirements.

The fact is that cost of living in the UK is horrendous and English culture seems to be incomprehensible to my East European (Ukrainian) wife's way of thinking. Any one who has lived in Eastern Europe would understand how moving to the West can be major culture shock (no matter what we Westerners may like to think, life in the West is no picnic).

I really want to give my wife and her kids a chance gently to adapt to western culture so they are absolutelly ready move Down Under when we are ready to apply for and are finally granted an Australian residency visa and !
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:02 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumamoja
Nobody has replied to my post!!!!

Does this mean that there is nowhere in the European Union where I could buy somewhere to live with the money I have available and survive on my meagre income?????:embaressed_smile:

PLEASE!! Any sensible suggestions welcomed!!! Such as there may be a half-way decent place in which I could afford to rent, if not buy decent accomodation?

Even a country out side the EU (Turkey? Montenego?) would do as long it has a reasonably sound ecoonomy, no idiotic currency restrictions and no crazy visa requirements.

The fact is that cost of living in the UK is horrendous and English culture seems to be incomprehensible to my East European (Ukrainian) wife's way of thinking. Any one who has lived in Eastern Europe would understand how moving to the West can be major culture shock (no matter what we Westerners may like to think, life in the West is no picnic).

I really want to give my wife and her kids a chance gently to adapt to western culture so they are absolutelly ready move Down Under when we are ready to apply for and are finally granted an Australian residency visa and !
Maybe you would be better staying in the UK and applying from there, surely it would mean less paperwork.
You may get more help on OZ immigration forum, I don`t think many people in Europe will have experience of what you intend to do, hence the lack of replies.
Good luck for your future.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

It might be easier to rule a list of countries out and then concentrate on the ones that are left.

Your weekly income is fine, I would say. Assuming your wife is going to be looking for work eventually?

Ireland - Out
Netherlands - Out
Germany - Out
Denmark - Out
Sweden - Out
Italy - Out
Portugal - Out
France - Possible, you may struggle for the 65k price tag on a house.
Spain - Possible, maybe check Galicia, Asturias and other northern regions.
Romania - Good bet, not sure about health care and education though.
Bulgaria - Also good, again not sure on Education and Healthcare

Of course, there are more EU countries. But most lose out due to your weather requirements.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

To add to SoJohn's good advice ,
a few really , really good places to live in , but which , sadly for you and many others , are also a " No-No" :
- Austria
- Belgium
- Luxembourg
- Denmark
- Slovenia ...
and a Very Interesting one ,
to many Brits and to your Ukraianian spouse :
Croatia
( not in EU , as of yet , which actually helps , believe me ! )
Cheers !
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:02 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
It might be easier to rule a list of countries out and then concentrate on the ones that are left.

Your weekly income is fine, I would say. Assuming your wife is going to be looking for work eventually?

Ireland - Out
Netherlands - Out
Germany - Out
Denmark - Out
Sweden - Out
Italy - Out
Portugal - Out
France - Possible, you may struggle for the 65k price tag on a house.
Spain - Possible, maybe check Galicia, Asturias and other northern regions.
Romania - Good bet, not sure about health care and education though.
Bulgaria - Also good, again not sure on Education and Healthcare

Of course, there are more EU countries. But most lose out due to your weather requirements.
Portugal is reported to have the higest life expectancy (amoungst the Portuguese) in the EU. The northern part of the country is less expensive than the Algarve and although the winters can be cold and wet - they're not a patch on those in the UK.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Portugal is reported to have the higest life expectancy (amoungst the Portuguese) in the EU. The northern part of the country is less expensive than the Algarve and although the winters can be cold and wet - they're not a patch on those in the UK.
The health and education systems aren't nearly as good as Spain though.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SoJohn
The health and education systems aren't nearly as good as Spain though.
Interesting !
Just how good would you think the health services in Spain to be ?
In comparison : Not to our own , shameful , NHS , but to say :
France/Benelux/Germany/Skandinavia/Swizerland/Austria ?????
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray51
Interesting !
Just how good would you think the health services in Spain to be ?
In comparison : Not to our own , shameful , NHS , but to say :
France/Benelux/Germany/Skandinavia/Swizerland/Austria ?????
I don't know. Many people say it's better than our NHS. Scandinavia is famous for their hospitals. I also heard rumours of the NHS subcontracting stuff out to France, so can't be bad either.

My German friend says the healthcare in Germany is good, but he lives in Brazil, so quite what he is comparing it to, I'm not sure.

No idea on Austria or Switzerland.

I only knew about Portugal because my Spanish landlady was explaining the reason for many wealthy Portuguese moving to Galicia. She was very insistent.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 9:00 am
Just Joined

AnatolianHomes will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Where can I live in the EU?

Hi,

I live in Didim (Turkey) and here is very advantegous in most aspects warm climate,cheap cost of living many current settled down foreigners.

With a google search you may find so many info,maybe it helps for your opinion.

Godd luck
Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

idilis is an unknown quantity at this point

Well seeing as your wife is from Eastern Europe, I would suggest Romania. I have lived in UK all my life and am so relieved that after visiting Romania many times over the last 3 years, that they entered EU that I could live here. OK I am not near a beach but there are other compensations. I moved to Cluj-Napoca in northern Transylvania, with clean air as it is a mountainous area, friendly people,international airport and affordable properties. If there is anything you want to know then if I don't know the answer, then I will find out for you. As a point of interest, here your UK pound is worth around three pounds or more.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Pavlos is an unknown quantity at this point

You could try Greece. There are Ukrainians and Russians here as well as English, German , Scandinavians, Italians etc.

The national health system is on par with the NHS and you would be able to find a property for £62k if you look hard enough and are patient. (probably not 3 bedrooms though) Winters are short. Summer Humidity is low.

Its not so "westernised" so maybe a good stepping stone for you before OZ

Wherever you go I am not sure how you will school an 8 and 13 year old with the different languages, as your pension won't cover private schooling.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:53 am
Just Joined

samzi is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not Bosnia? In a few years will be in EU as well .

Prices for properties in Bosnia are much cheaper then in EU and new EU members states.

There are no restrictions to buy private property in Bosnia and live there.

Language , Russian, is simmular to Bosnia and will not be a problem to learn it and for your wife and kinds (later) find a job . Especial Medical Job.

Bosnia is Multicultural state . Culture and people communications are same as for example in Italy ...

Close to ( and own a part ) Adriatic sea. Have as well Mountines( Olimpic games in 1984) lakes...

Even now Bosnia is oon 43 place in turistic destinations on the World scala. Simple is beatifull Land and cheap .
In few years will be much much higher prices for properties.

Check on search engines about.

If you have some specific questions just let me know.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Libby Fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnatolianHomes
Hi,

I live in Didim (Turkey) and here is very advantegous in most aspects warm climate,cheap cost of living many current settled down foreigners.

With a google search you may find so many info,maybe it helps for your opinion.

Godd luck
AnatolianHomes
We've just returned from Kusadasi in Turkey and loved it so much that we're seriously considering moving there. What is the health care like is it good?

Are there any restrictions to owning property and is it easy to get residency?
Sorry about all the questions.
Libby
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Would anyone care to re-visit the title of this thread ?
Bosnia , Turkey , wherever else , in Balkans or Asia -
since when are any of those in the European Union ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.