Reload this Page >

use of stolen credit cards at highway toll booth

use of stolen credit cards at highway toll booth

Old Sep 12th 2002, 1:06 pm
Devil

Default Re: use of stolen credit cards at highway toll booth

greg byshenk wrote:
    > AKS <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> thank you for your reply - you are the first person who explained it this way -
    >> and even though it makes sense, it is outrageous. Yes, I was refunded the charges,
    >> nowever it is an never ending process, because they are able to continue using
    >> these cards. By now, one of the cards accumulated over $4000.-. I am disputing 20
    >> to 30 charges every day and imagine that is just one of probably thousands of
    >> stolen credit cards. As you seem to know something about this issue, would you
    >> know who the responsible agencies in Europe are to report this to??
    > Report _what_ to?
    > It seems to me, as others have suggested, that the problem is with your credit card
    > company.
    > If the card was stolen, then it should have been cancelled and that account
    > _closed_, at which time you should receive a new card with a new account. And at
    > this point there should be no further charges possible, as the card is no longer a
    > valid credit card. Perhaps, it can be used in places where no validation is done,
    > but as the card is no longer valid there should be no way for additional charges to
    > be placed on your account.

And if the card company/bank continues dragging their legs, I would cancel it and
move my business to another one. You might start by letting them know in no
uncertain terms.

Old Sep 12th 2002, 2:19 pm
Geraint

sgwennodd "AKS" <[email protected]> yn neges news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Sjoerd: thank you for your reply - you are the first person who explained it
    > this way - and even though it makes sense, it is outrageous. Yes, I was refunded
    > the charges, nowever it is an never ending process, because they are able to
    > continue using these cards. By now, one of the cards accumulated over $4000.-. I am
    > disputing 20 to 30 charges every day and imagine that is just one of probably
    > thousands of stolen credit cards.
Cancel your card, and close the account. Easy.

> As you seem to know something about this issue, would you know who the responsible
    > agencies in Europe are to report this to??
The only ones responsible are the issuers of your credit card. Take your business
elsewhere.

<toriad>

hwyl! geraint.

Old Sep 12th 2002, 4:00 pm
Oopsdaisy2

>Subject: Re: use of stolen credit cards at highway toll booth From: [email protected]
    >(Hatunen) Date: 9/11/2002 5:37 PM

>On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:20:56 +0000, AKS <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Hi Sjoerd: thank you for your reply - you are the first person who explained it
    >>this way - and even though it makes sense, it is outrageous. Yes, I was refunded
    >>the charges, nowever it is an never ending process, because they are able to
    >>continue using these cards. By now, one of the cards accumulated over $4000.-. I
    >>am disputing 20 to 30 charges every day and imagine that is just one of probably
    >>thousands of stolen credit cards. As you seem to know something about this issue,
    >>would you know who the responsible agencies in Europe are to report this to??
    >>thank Anna
    >You need to refuse to pay these bogus charges. After my credit card was stolen in
    >Paris I called the credit card company and told them each time I received a
    >statement with more charges on it; the theft had already been reported to them and
    >none of the extra charges ever cost me a cent save a couple of postage stamps, and
    >since I never paid thes4 charges no reimbursement was necessary.

I guess I am wondering why the bank is even sending the statements to you. The card
was stolen, you reported, they cancelled it, you were issued a new card w/ new
number. All new charges to that account are clearly unauthorized. What does the
bank think it is accomplishing by even sending you a statement and making you reply?

Old Sep 12th 2002, 4:38 pm
Hatunen

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:44:08 -0700, "Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hatunen wrote:
    >> You need to refuse to pay these bogus charges. After my credit card was stolen in
    >> Paris I called the credit card company and told them each time I received a
    >> statement with more charges on it; the theft had already been reported to them and
    >> none of the extra charges ever cost me a cent save a couple of postage stamps, and
    >> since I never paid thes4 charges no reimbursement was necessary.
    >A good argument for "credit" vs "debit" card - the charges from a "debit" card hit
    >your bank account directly, and getting the money back can be a time-consuming
    >hassle. A "credit" card, on the other hand, gives you the option of paying at your
    >convenience, which means the card-issuer either bounces the disputed charge, or
    >swallows it!

But do not confuse "debit card" with "ATM card" ("cash card"). although the regular
ATM card is, technically a debit card, the term is commonly used to refer to those
card which can be used like ATM cards with a PIN, but bear a Visa or MasterCard logo.

The ATM card can ONLY be used with a PIN and is fairly safe.

The "debit card" can, like a credit card, be used in many situations where a PIN is
not required; I have so far refused all blandishments of "debit cards" from my
financial institutions.

************ DAVE HATUNEN ([email protected]) ***********
* Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * ******* My typos are
intentional copyright traps ******

Old Sep 12th 2002, 7:56 pm
Evelyn Vogt Gamble

Hatunen wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:44:08 -0700, "Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >A good argument for "credit" vs "debit" card - the charges from a "debit" card hit
    > >your bank account directly, and getting the money back can be a time-consuming
    > >hassle. A "credit" card, on the other hand, gives you the option of paying at
    > >your convenience, which means the card-issuer either bounces the disputed charge,
    > >or swallows it!
    > But do not confuse "debit card" with "ATM card" ("cash card").

I wasn't!

> The ATM card can ONLY be used with a PIN and is fairly safe.
    > The "debit card" can, like a credit card, be used in many situations where a PIN is
    > not required; I have so far refused all blandishments of "debit cards" from my
    > financial institutions.

My reasoning, exactly! They tell you how much more "convenient" it is (convenient
for whom?) but I've been around too long to be convinced. (I don't authorize utility
bills or insurance premiums to be automatically charged to my bank account, either -
if it costs a few cents more for them to process my paper check, so be it - at least
I'm in control of what gets paid, if I have any question about the amounts.)

Old Sep 13th 2002, 6:54 am
Mrtravel

Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" wrote:
    > A good argument for "credit" vs "debit" card - the charges from a "debit" card
    > hit your bank account directly, and getting the money back can be a
    > time-consuming hassle.

Either way, once you have reported the card stolen, you should have a new card and
account number, and see no old charges.

Old Sep 13th 2002, 7:06 am
Tim Challenger

>- if it costs a few cents more for them to process my paper check, so be it

You still have cheques ?

Old Sep 13th 2002, 7:39 am
Mrtravel

Tim Challenger wrote:
    > >- if it costs a few cents more for them to process my paper check, so be it
    > You still have cheques ?

Plus a check card, like the Visa Check Card is far more useful when as it is
acceptable at MILLIONS more places than a personal check.

Old Sep 13th 2002, 7:59 am
Tim Challenger

> > >- if it costs a few cents more for them to process my paper check, so be it
    > >
    > > You still have cheques ?
    > Plus a check card, like the Visa Check Card is far more useful when as it is
    > acceptable at MILLIONS more places than a personal check.

Personal Cheques? Cheque cards? beep, does not compute, does not compute, beep ;-)
Are there any countries in Europe (OK say the EU/EEA) except the UK that personal
cheques are still widely used if at all? I know the Eurocheque - the normal personal
cheque - is no linger used anywhere. Tim.

Old Sep 13th 2002, 8:55 am
Greg Byshenk

Tim Challenger <[email protected]> wrote:

> Personal Cheques? Cheque cards? beep, does not compute, does not compute, beep
    > ;-) Are there any countries in Europe (OK say the EU/EEA) except the UK that
    > personal cheques are still widely used if at all? I know the Eurocheque - the
    > normal personal cheque - is no linger used anywhere.

In almost two years in the Netherlands, I have yet to encounter an actual cheque.
But giros and betaalopdrachten (which serve a similar function) are common.

--
greg byshenk - [email protected] - Leiden, NL hate spam?
<http://www.cauce.org> <http://www.byshenk.net/ive.been.spammed.h-
tml>

Old Sep 13th 2002, 9:00 am
Tim Challenger

Default Use of Cheques in Europe (was: use of stolen credit cards at highway toll booth)

> > Personal Cheques? Cheque cards? beep, does not compute, does not
compute,
    > > beep ;-) Are there any countries in Europe (OK say the EU/EEA) except the UK
that
    > > personal cheques are still widely used if at all? I know the
Eurocheque -
    > > the normal personal cheque - is no linger used anywhere.
    > In almost two years in the Netherlands, I have yet to encounter an actual cheque.
    > But giros and betaalopdrachten (which serve a similar function) are common.

Yes, if that's the same as the "Ãœberweisungschein" in German - but they are really
used by the payee, rather than cheques which are "issued" from the side of the payer.
You don't go around with a bunch of them in your pocket an pay for things with them -
they're normally used for bank transfers. At least here they are.

Old Sep 13th 2002, 10:00 am
Osmo Ronkanen

"Evelyn Vogt Gamble (Divamanque)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> My reasoning, exactly! They tell you how much more "convenient" it is (convenient
    > for whom?) but I've been around too long to be convinced. (I don't authorize
    > utility bills or insurance premiums to be automatically charged to my bank account,
    > either - if it costs a few cents more for them to process my paper check, so be it
    > - at least I'm in control of what gets paid, if I have any question about the
    > amounts.)

In Finland the companies inform what they will charge in advance. You then have
option of cancelling it in advance. I also have not done that, I typically use the
net or phone to pay bills. Here cheques are not sured, fortunately.

Osmo

Old Sep 13th 2002, 1:20 pm
Taichen

Default Re: Use of Cheques in Europe (was: use of stolen credit cards at highway toll booth)

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:00:25 +0200, "Tim Challenger"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Personal Cheques? Cheque cards? beep, does not compute, does not
    >compute,
    >> > beep ;-) Are there any countries in Europe (OK say the EU/EEA) except the UK
    >that
    >> > personal cheques are still widely used if at all? I know the
    >Eurocheque -
    >> > the normal personal cheque - is no linger used anywhere.
    >> In almost two years in the Netherlands, I have yet to encounter an actual cheque.
    >> But giros and betaalopdrachten (which serve a similar function) are common.
    >Yes, if that's the same as the "Ãœberweisungschein" in German - but they are really
    >used by the payee, rather than cheques which are "issued" from the side of the
    >payer. You don't go around with a bunch of them in your pocket an pay for things
    >with them - they're normally used for bank transfers. At least here they are.
I think personal cheques are widely used in France. I'm not sure if you need a French
bank account, though.

In Spain they are very seldomly accepted.

Old Sep 13th 2002, 1:50 pm
Devil

Tim Challenger wrote:
    >>>>- if it costs a few cents more for them to process my paper check, so be it
    >>>You still have cheques ?
    >>Plus a check card, like the Visa Check Card is far more useful when as it is
    >>acceptable at MILLIONS more places than a personal check.
    > Personal Cheques? Cheque cards? beep, does not compute, does not compute, beep
    > ;-) Are there any countries in Europe (OK say the EU/EEA) except the UK that
    > personal cheques are still widely used if at all? I know the Eurocheque - the
    > normal personal cheque - is no linger used anywhere.

France?

Old Sep 13th 2002, 3:04 pm
Greg Byshenk

Default Re: Use of Cheques in Europe (was: use of stolen credit cards at highway toll booth)

Tim Challenger <[email protected]> wrote: [
[email protected] wrote: ]

> > In almost two years in the Netherlands, I have yet to encounter an actual cheque.
    > > But giros and betaalopdrachten (which serve a similar function) are common.

> Yes, if that's the same as the "Ãœberweisungschein" in German - but they are
    > really used by the payee, rather than cheques which are "issued" from the side
    > of the payer. You don't go around with a bunch of them in your pocket an pay
    > for things with them - they're normally used for bank transfers. At least here
    > they are.

Sounds very similar, if not exactly the same.

Betaalopdrachten are submitted by the payer to the payer's bank, and are used to
initiate a bank transfer to the payee.

--
greg byshenk - [email protected] - Leiden, NL hate spam?
<http://www.cauce.org> <http://www.byshenk.net/ive.been.spammed.h-
tml>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.