British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   use of stolen credit cards at highway toll booth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/use-stolen-credit-cards-highway-toll-booth-111260/)

AKS Sep 11th 2002 1:27 pm

use of stolen credit cards at highway toll booth

Have you ever heard of this?? and if so can anyone tell me what to do??

My credit cards were stolen in Barcelona this spring. I cancelled them immediately with my CC company. Nevertheless charges from various toll booths all over Spain and France started coming in two months later (on all of my CCs). My bank couldn't help - VISA couldnt' help. Everybody referred me to someone else. I even searched the net for the responsible agencies of highway toll booths and send them emails.

1) how can it even be that authorization is being forced through on cancelled CC??

and 2) who is the right agency to write to, to stop these charges??

Please, if anybody ever had the same problem and knows what to do please let me know!!

Anna

Devil Sep 11th 2002 3:57 pm

Re: use of stolen credit cards at highway toll booth

AKS wrote:
    > Have you ever heard of this?? and if so can anyone tell me what to do??
    > My credit cards were stolen in Barcelona this spring. I cancelled them immediately
    > with my CC company. Nevertheless charges from various toll booths all over Spain
    > and France started coming in two months later (on all of my CCs). My bank couldn't
    > help - VISA couldnt' help. Everybody referred me to someone else. I even searched
    > the net for the responsible agencies of highway toll booths and send them emails.
    > 1) how can it even be that authorization is being forced through on cancelled CC??
    > and 2) who is the right agency to write to, to stop these charges??
    > Please, if anybody ever had the same problem and knows what to do please let
    > me know!!

Seems to me your bank/credit card company is at fault here.

I can't imagine a north american credit card not canceling the charge.

Wessie Sep 11th 2002 4:23 pm

devil <[email protected]> wrote in
news:6KJf9.14017$Qx1.656050
@news1.telusplanet.net:

>> Please, if anybody ever had the same problem and knows what to do please let
    >> me know!!
    > Seems to me your bank/credit card company is at fault here.
    > I can't imagine a north american credit card not canceling the charge.

A UK bank would cancel the charge too - the T&C's state that the customer is not
responsible for any transactions after the time reported stolen.

If the bank allows the toll company to charge the card without a security check then
the bank is liable. If the toll company is supposed to check the card validity then
the toll company would be liable. The bank should sort this.

--
[email protected]

BMW R1150GS Previous bikes CBR6FX, TDM850, VFR750FR & FJ, NX650, GS125ES

Ryan B Sep 11th 2002 4:50 pm

"AKS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My credit cards were stolen in Barcelona this spring. I cancelled them immediately
    > with my CC company. Nevertheless charges from various toll booths all over Spain
    > and France started coming in two months later (on all of my CCs). My bank couldn't
    > help - VISA couldnt' help. Everybody referred me to someone else. I even searched
    > the net for the responsible agencies of highway toll booths and send them emails.
    > 1) how can it even be that authorization is being forced through on cancelled CC??
    > me know!!
    > Anna
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

My Visa credit card number was recently stolen and fraudulent charges were made on my
account by manually entering the account number and expiration date. Here is what
you must do:

Call the credit card issuer (Bank)

Ask for the Consumer Fraud Department

Explain what happened including your card being stolen and what fraudulent charges
were made. You will need a complete list of all the fraudulent charges. All
fraudulent charges should be removed from your account within 48 hours. Explain to
them that you notified the bank and had your account cancelled on what date.

The bank will send you an "Affidavit Of Credit Card Fraud"

You will need to list all fraudulent charges on the affidavit.

You must sign the affidavit declaring the information is all true and correct.

You will be issued a new account and card. (should have happened by now)

You do not have to communicate with all the vendors where fraudulent charges were
made. Deal only with card issuer.

Be certain your card has been cancelled.

My card issuer was Bank America and they were great. No hassle at all. I had all
fraudulent charges removed within 24 hours of my phone conversation and a new credit
card and account within a week. In fact it was the bank that first discovered the
fraudulent use of my card and not me. Charges were made in Hong Kong where I had
never made charges before.

Good luck.

Not The Karl Orff Sep 11th 2002 5:20 pm

In article <[email protected]>, AKS
<[email protected]> wrote:

Which bank was it? I lost a Visa card issued by a U.K. bank (was formerly a buildng
society) in a SW France toll machine. Cancelled the card within 2 hours of losing it
but I got toll charges in France and Spain for months after.

Grey Sep 11th 2002 5:33 pm

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:27:09 +0000, AKS <[email protected]> wrote:

>Have you ever heard of this?? and if so can anyone tell me what to do??
    >My credit cards were stolen in Barcelona this spring. I cancelled them immediately
    >with my CC company. Nevertheless charges from various toll booths all over Spain and
    >France started coming in two months later (on all of my CCs). My bank couldn't help
    >- VISA couldnt' help. Everybody referred me to someone else. I even searched the net
    >for the responsible agencies of highway toll booths and send them emails.
    >1) how can it even be that authorization is being forced through on cancelled CC??

Whoa! There's no way you should be responsible for charges on a cancelled card made
after the cancellation date.
---------------------------
A truly cool book: The World Is Already Yours Conscious living in the real
world www.alreadyyours.com (sample
chapter, etc...)

Sjoerd Sep 11th 2002 8:33 pm

"AKS" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    > me know!!

It is well known in Europe that toll booths at highways don't check if your card is
valid or not. It would take too long if every card had to be verified. So the credit
card companies have agreed that they'll run a risk here and apparently it is cheaper
to repay the cardholders whose cards were stolen and used after they were reported
lost, than to built a quicker and reliable system. No way you can be responsible for
these charges: your bank or the one who issued the card to you should reimburse you
immediately.

Sjoerd

AKS Sep 11th 2002 9:20 pm

Hi Sjoerd:
thank you for your reply - you are the first person who explained it this way - and even though it makes sense, it is outrageous. Yes, I was refunded the charges, nowever it is an never ending process, because they are able to continue using these cards. By now, one of the cards accumulated over $4000.-. I am disputing 20 to 30 charges every day and imagine that is just one of probably thousands of stolen credit cards.
As you seem to know something about this issue, would you know who the responsible agencies in Europe are to report this to??
thank Anna

Originally posted by Sjoerd:
"AKS" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    > me know!!

It is well known in Europe that toll booths at highways don't check if your card is
valid or not. It would take too long if every card had to be verified. So the credit
card companies have agreed that they'll run a risk here and apparently it is cheaper
to repay the cardholders whose cards were stolen and used after they were reported
lost, than to built a quicker and reliable system. No way you can be responsible for
these charges: your bank or the one who issued the card to you should reimburse you
immediately.

Sjoerd

Hatunen Sep 11th 2002 10:27 pm

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:33:02 +0200, "Sjoerd"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It is well known in Europe that toll booths at highways don't check if your card is
    >valid or not. It would take too long if every card had to be verified. So the credit
    >card companies have agreed that they'll run a risk here and apparently it is cheaper
    >to repay the cardholders whose cards were stolen and used after they were reported
    >lost, than to built a quicker and reliable system. No way you can be responsible for
    >these charges: your bank or the one who issued the card to you should reimburse you
    >immediately.

In fact, there should be no reimbursement necessary. The charges shouldn't have been
paid in the first place.

************ DAVE HATUNEN ([email protected]) ***********
* Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * ******* My typos are
intentional copyright traps ******

Hatunen Sep 11th 2002 10:37 pm

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:20:56 +0000, AKS <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi Sjoerd: thank you for your reply - you are the first person who explained it this
    >way - and even though it makes sense, it is outrageous. Yes, I was refunded the
    >charges, nowever it is an never ending process, because they are able to continue
    >using these cards. By now, one of the cards accumulated over $4000.-. I am disputing
    >20 to 30 charges every day and imagine that is just one of probably thousands of
    >stolen credit cards. As you seem to know something about this issue, would you know
    >who the responsible agencies in Europe are to report this to?? thank Anna

You need to refuse to pay these bogus charges. After my credit card was stolen in
Paris I called the credit card company and told them each time I received a statement
with more charges on it; the theft had already been reported to them and none of the
extra charges ever cost me a cent save a couple of postage stamps, and since I never
paid thes4 charges no reimbursement was necessary.

************ DAVE HATUNEN ([email protected]) ***********
* Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * ******* My typos are
intentional copyright traps ******

Wessie Sep 11th 2002 11:25 pm

AKS <[email protected]> wrote in
news:412622.1031779256 @britishexpats.com:

> As you seem to know something about this issue, would you know who the responsible
    > agencies in Europe are to report this to?? thank Anna

your credit card company should issue you with a new account number and cease sending
bills to you for the old number for transactions after the theft date you notified

this is what Goldfish (UK division of HFC Bank) did in my case

--
[email protected]

BMW R1150GS Previous bikes CBR6FX, TDM850, VFR750FR & FJ, NX650, GS125ES

Evelyn Vogt Gamble Sep 12th 2002 4:35 am

devil wrote:

> Seems to me your bank/credit card company is at fault here.
    > I can't imagine a north american credit card not canceling the charge.

Cancelling it on your bill, and bouncing it back to whoever accepted it! A credit
card company can refuse to honor fraudulent charge slips - the merchant, etc. who
accepted the card is the loser, but that's life. (Same thing happens when they
accept a personal check that bounces.)

Evelyn Vogt Gamble Sep 12th 2002 4:44 am

Hatunen wrote:
    > You need to refuse to pay these bogus charges. After my credit card was stolen in
    > Paris I called the credit card company and told them each time I received a
    > statement with more charges on it; the theft had already been reported to them and
    > none of the extra charges ever cost me a cent save a couple of postage stamps, and
    > since I never paid thes4 charges no reimbursement was necessary.

A good argument for "credit" vs "debit" card - the charges from a "debit" card hit
your bank account directly, and getting the money back can be a time-consuming
hassle. A "credit" card, on the other hand, gives you the option of paying at your
convenience, which means the card-issuer either bounces the disputed charge, or
swallows it!

Greg Byshenk Sep 12th 2002 9:43 am

AKS <[email protected]> wrote:

> thank you for your reply - you are the first person who explained it this way -
    > and even though it makes sense, it is outrageous. Yes, I was refunded the charges,
    > nowever it is an never ending process, because they are able to continue using
    > these cards. By now, one of the cards accumulated over $4000.-. I am disputing 20
    > to 30 charges every day and imagine that is just one of probably thousands of
    > stolen credit cards. As you seem to know something about this issue, would you
    > know who the responsible agencies in Europe are to report this to??

Report _what_ to?

It seems to me, as others have suggested, that the problem is with your credit
card company.

If the card was stolen, then it should have been cancelled and that account
_closed_, at which time you should receive a new card with a new account. And at
this point there should be no further charges possible, as the card is no longer a
valid credit card. Perhaps, it can be used in places where no validation is done,
but as the card is no longer valid there should be no way for additional charges to
be placed on your account.

--
greg byshenk - [email protected] - Leiden, NL hate spam?
<http://www.cauce.org> <http://www.byshenk.net/ive.been.spammed.h-
tml>

Jim Ley Sep 12th 2002 10:39 am

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:20:56 +0000, AKS <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi Sjoerd: thank you for your reply - you are the first person who explained it this
    >way - and even though it makes sense, it is outrageous. Yes, I was refunded the
    >charges, nowever it is an never ending process, because they are able to continue
    >using these cards. By now, one of the cards accumulated over $4000.-. I am disputing
    >20 to 30 charges every day and imagine that is just one of probably thousands of
    >stolen credit cards. As you seem to know something about this issue, would you know
    >who the responsible agencies in Europe are to report this to??

Forget it, tell the bank to stop sticking them on the bill, if they don't walk, you
don't have to stay with the same bank...

Jim.