Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

uk visitors visa for wife of eu national

uk visitors visa for wife of eu national

Old Jun 12th 2003, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

paulgilc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk visitors visa for wife of eu national

My wife is a dual national Irish and thai. Thailand does not allow dual nationals.
To leave the country you need a valid visitors visa for the UK. if you show your Irish passport they want to know why you do not have a visa for Thailand.

Even as a tourist there is a card in your passport with an entrance stamp so you cannot pose as a tourist. Even my daughter who is a british national will require a permanent entry visa for the UK in her thai passport when she is seven in order to leave the country.

1) Are british visitors visas free for wives of EU citizens? Up till now even though I am an Irish and british national i have been charged for visas when applying for visas for my wife. i have looked at official websites. They imply these visas should be free but it is hard to see which visas they are referring too.

2) My wife has become very recently an irish citizen. The replies i have had from the british embassy suggest almost no change in status. still she will have to pay for a visa and any longer term visa is at the discretion of the authorities.

this is costly. 40 pounds for a visa and if she is required to go to the embassy 50 pounds air fare from Chiang mai to Bang Kok. this a hefty surcharge on a visit to the UK.

any ideas or advice.

I find this website very difficult to get around as i am a new member. it keeps asking me to login and bluntly i am not sure what is happening. Please be patient if i do not seem to reply to your messages.

[email protected]
Old Jun 28th 2003, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Acrobat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa

If you visit http://www.britishemb.or.th/ then you will find all the details you need... basically your wife must complete either form IM2A (tourist) or IM2B (settlement) and pay the local fee, often an interview is required for either application, the fact you are married does not grant any automatic right of visiting the UK, good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
im2a.pdf (33.0 KB, 2474 views)