Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where should I go ?

Where should I go ?

Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

stokieah is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where should I go ?

Hi, I would be grateful if anyone could offer me any advice about whereabouts within the EU is a good option to emmigrate to ? I realise that this is down to personnal choice, but I do have certain criteria that might help. I would like somewhere that has half descent weather, cheap property prices and very little red tape to cut through before being able to reside there. I am leaving the RAF after 22 years service in 9 years time (2012). I know it is early to think so far ahead, but the more advice I get and plans I make, the better it will work out - I hope !!
I will leave my job like I said at the age of 39 and will have a forces pension of around £300 per month from that day. I will also have around £50,000 in savings by then, but I have no property at the moment - Any advice anyone?
By the way, our only child will hopefully have flown the nest by then (18 yrs old) so it should just be me and my wife.
I would be really grateful if people could offer a bit of info on the various places that we could consider. Outside of the EU I have heard that South Africa is wonderful for cheap luxury property and fantastic climate !! Thankyou very Much
stokieah

Last edited by stokieah; Jun 5th 2003 at 7:56 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute
Default options

Hi
May be worth considering turkey, prices are cheap and they are trying to join the EEC at the moment.
This will help with rights & buying property & ease of pension payment.
cheers
jerry
Old Jun 19th 2003, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

stokieah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: options

Thanks Jerry,
I will certainly keep that in mind. Thanks once again for taking the time to respond to my plee.
Old Jun 21st 2003, 5:59 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default South Africa as an option

Hi there,

Not to go into a whole story we currently living in SA & are looking to get out. Here is a portion of a posting we placed on this forum. Below.

There are somewhat concerning issues here that have escalated, what we would say alarming. The crime here is the biggest issue and by that we are not talking about stealing etc., it's the violent crimes that are mostly targeted at the white folk. We are carefully watching what is happening in Zim and the attitude of our (SA) gov towards old Bob up there.

SA is motivation this whole NEPAD thing, a one country Africa and SA is currently holding 13 M illegal immigrants which is the biggest cause of the serious crimes and NOTHING is being done about it and it seems SA wishes to open up the doors to the rest of Africa.

Our 5 cents worth, this is a country which is AWESOME, but with a very uncertain future. As a white male in this country my opportunities are on the decrease daily. Check out the Black Empowerment issues and gender preferencing recruitment issues in SA at present. Even if you are considering starting your own company (which my wife & I have done) the black / white issues are making it very hard to get a sustainable income for white males.

COPY of previous posting:

A new user here. I am a Scot and currently live in Johannesburg in South Africa (23 years now), with my South African wife. We are very concerned regarding the future of South Africa and feel that the current racial climate towards white folk here is increasing to a dramatic scale. With the recent birth of our first child it has changed our perspective to the local situation and are therefore we are looking at our options in other countries.

Hope this offers some input.
Regards

Campbell.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 10:29 am
Just Joined

nno-going-back is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where should I go ?

Perhaps it's worth asking why you want to go rather than where you should go. Political and economic situations could change dramatically over 9 years. I can remember when SA really was one of the places to go economically for a working Brit. Where you go, if you go, might well be influenced by what you hope to do when you get there more than how green the grass looks today. You may find www.no-going-back.co.uk a helpful resource.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

South Africa seems to be a bad decision - see other posts on this subject.

What about rural Spain???

what`s wrong with Norfolk (apart from the weather!!!)
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Woodstock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I suggest you take a few holidays and have a look around first to see the layout of the place, people etc., We moved to the Canary Islands 8 years ago, but we had been visiting them for 10 years or so previous to this, so we knew it was the place we wanted to emigrate to. Every country's culture etc., is very different and you need to decide what is acceptable to you and what is not before you move. It is a big decision to make so make sure you make the right one! Having said that, we definitely made the right decision for us! Happy hunting!.
Originally posted by stokieah
Hi, I would be grateful if anyone could offer me any advice about whereabouts within the EU is a good option to emmigrate to ? I realise that this is down to personnal choice, but I do have certain criteria that might help. I would like somewhere that has half descent weather, cheap property prices and very little red tape to cut through before being able to reside there. I am leaving the RAF after 22 years service in 9 years time (2012). I know it is early to think so far ahead, but the more advice I get and plans I make, the better it will work out - I hope !!
I will leave my job like I said at the age of 39 and will have a forces pension of around £300 per month from that day. I will also have around £50,000 in savings by then, but I have no property at the moment - Any advice anyone?
By the way, our only child will hopefully have flown the nest by then (18 yrs old) so it should just be me and my wife.
I would be really grateful if people could offer a bit of info on the various places that we could consider. Outside of the EU I have heard that South Africa is wonderful for cheap luxury property and fantastic climate !! Thankyou very Much
stokieah