Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stupid question about sun lotion!

Stupid question about sun lotion!

Old Nov 29th 2004, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

C-Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Stupid question about sun lotion!

Hi,

What with all this terrible stuff we keep being warned about re. the dangers of being in the sun, what do all you lovely peeps already living in a sunny climate do about - er - sun tan lotion? I have never heard the subject mentioned by people who live in the sun which is why I'm curious -
do you 'splash it all over' liberally as we are always being told to do, use it every now and again, or not at all after a while? Does skin actually get aclimatised over time so it doesn't have to be used quite so often?
We are going over to Spain (from the UK) next year and I could see bankruptcy looming if we each had to buy a bottle of the stuff every day our once we got over there. Not to mention having to apply it every hour or so for the rest of our lives!! Neither do I want to go around in a big hat and long sleeves as an alternative.

I actually find sunbathing in itself really boring and don't like to sit there roasting just for the sake of it, but I do plan to be walking around a lot outside and enjoy the weather nevertheless - (I am normally pale skinned but do get a slight tan eventually.)

Any thoughts/advice on this seemingly trivial, but I think actually quite important subject?
Cheers
C-Cat
Old Nov 29th 2004, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stupid question about sun lotion!

Hi C-Cat

My brother is a dermatologist so I know he would certainly have a few things to say about this!

When we used to come to Spain on holiday we always craved the sun. Since we've been living here it's been a different story. In the heat of the summer you just try and find shade everywhere and anywhere because it's just too hot, and it it does start to bother you.

We ALWAYS take a beach umbrella to the beach and spend most of the time underneath it. And yes, you should still use sun protection screen because without it you could burn in 10 minutes in the heat of summer just on your way to buy an ice cream!

So I'm afraid so, you should definitely invest in lots of cream, it's crazy not to as the sun is just too strong.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi c-cat
Since we have been here we have not bought a bottle at all, unlike the reply above we do not care re lying on the beach far too uncomfortable, now to go diving that is another matter, but then would not need cream for that either. we do not tend to sit in the sun, always under cover in the courtyard or if out I wear a hat, have got less sun than when I was in UK. Not quite sure how but no red skins etc, now when visitors come that is another story, they just want to soak the sun so yes they do bring the stuff.
I have yet to see any locals buy sun cream in fact I have not seen it here only when we get to tourist places.
Bye for now
Regards once more
Pat
Old Nov 29th 2004, 3:56 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi c-cat
Since we have been here we have not bought a bottle at all, unlike the reply above we do not care re lying on the beach far too uncomfortable, now to go diving that is another matter, but then would not need cream for that either. we do not tend to sit in the sun, always under cover in the courtyard or if out I wear a hat, have got less sun than when I was in UK. Not quite sure how but no red skins etc, now when visitors come that is another story, they just want to soak the sun so yes they do bring the stuff.
I have yet to see any locals buy sun cream in fact I have not seen it here only when we get to tourist places.
Bye for now
Regards once more
Pat
I tend to agree with this - we have no coastline but a long very hot summer like the south of France or Italy. I don't use sun tan lotion but we are always pretty careful about the kids and slip slop slap with them. I seek out the shade in the hottest part of the day, I have slung up a couple of hammocks between a big pear tree and a couple of chestnut trees in the garden and that is our shady spot. But otherwise I do lie in the sun to read the Economist or a good book, I just make sure not to burn. That usually means I can be in the sun for 4-5 hours once I've got a bit of a tan after winter.

I guess I have a healthy looking tan most of the time anyway.

It was another story in New Zealand (we are thinking about living there) - I burned in about 15 mins so suncream was essential. In Europe the rays are not so bad.

Looking forward to next summer as we just bought the plot next door which has a plunge pool!
Old Nov 29th 2004, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

However, from a skin cancer point of view I still think it is crazy not use sun protection.

In Australia (where skin cancer has always been a big problem) if you don't use cream it is really frowned upon.

In all cases, prevention is better than cure.

I speak from experience as there is skin cancer in my family due to years of going about in the sun with no protection against the rays.

So should you use cream? Of course you should.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I only used it once and got burned.
I have never used it since.
As mentioned before its mostly only tourists who use it.
If you do use it, it only delays the burn and gives a false sense of security.
Just use your head and stay sunbathing for only short spells, says he who works outside in shorts for most of the time. Drink plenty off water.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:19 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jaldridge
However, from a skin cancer point of view I still think it is crazy not use sun protection.

In Australia (where skin cancer has always been a big problem) if you don't use cream it is really frowned upon.

In all cases, prevention is better than cure.

I speak from experience as there is skin cancer in my family due to years of going about in the sun with no protection against the rays.

So should you use cream? Of course you should.
Doesn't it depend a bit on how much harm the sun is going to do you? It does depend a lot on geography.

The sun is particularly aggressive & harmful in Aus/ NZ because of the hole in the ozone layer and low level of pollution in the air. Even on a cloudy day in NZ we would burn after 25 mins without protection. Pretty much the same in Aus when I was scuba diving on the GBR.

But in Europe: yes, of course avoid burning but a bit of sun is positively good for you.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:09 pm
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Stupid question about sun lotion!

Originally Posted by C-Cat
Hi,

What with all this terrible stuff we keep being warned about re. the dangers of being in the sun, what do all you lovely peeps already living in a sunny climate do about - er - sun tan lotion? I have never heard the subject mentioned by people who live in the sun which is why I'm curious -
do you 'splash it all over' liberally as we are always being told to do, use it every now and again, or not at all after a while? Does skin actually get aclimatised over time so it doesn't have to be used quite so often?
We are going over to Spain (from the UK) next year and I could see bankruptcy looming if we each had to buy a bottle of the stuff every day our once we got over there. Not to mention having to apply it every hour or so for the rest of our lives!! Neither do I want to go around in a big hat and long sleeves as an alternative.

I actually find sunbathing in itself really boring and don't like to sit there roasting just for the sake of it, but I do plan to be walking around a lot outside and enjoy the weather nevertheless - (I am normally pale skinned but do get a slight tan eventually.)

Any thoughts/advice on this seemingly trivial, but I think actually quite important subject?
Cheers
C-Cat
Why don't you use one of the transdermal lotions like P20. Put in ot once a day and there you go!
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

C-Cat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies (and hello again Pat!)
It's interesting to get so many varied views - I guess it all depends on the type of skin you have, and whether you tend to burn.

I was just curious, as I can't imagine that everyone who lives in a sunny climate either stays indoors or buys all that lotion - at say £5 a bottle, even using half bottle a day works out to about £70 per month for one person!

Ags - what's a 'transdermal lotion' (P20)? I've never heard of this - any brand names?

Cheers
C-Cat
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Dreamaway is an unknown quantity at this point

I took part in a Sun Protection Health Promotion project quite a few years ago, around the time when evidence was emerging re-skin CA causes.
At that time I distinctly recall an issue about sun lotion factors relating to cost and advertising scams.
The evidence we had at that time was that there was NO higher safety factor than 15. The only difference was the cost.
The slogan as I recall was;
Between 11 and 3 stay under a tree.