Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does one go about importing a car?

How does one go about importing a car?

Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:53 am
Just Joined

1luvdolph1ns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How does one go about importing a car?

Hello everyone, I am new and still green around the gills compared with all you living in Spain.

I need to know what is the best way (if poss) to import (ship) a car from America into Spain? Or it best to go via the UK and register it there first before shipping it or driving into Spain? It's a left hooker 4x4 truck
We are going to live in Spain, near Javea and obviously need transport. If we cannot import our car - what is the chance of getting a car on HP in Spain as a newbie? :scared:

Would so appreciate some help on this - have been in the US temp on biz and going to UK before we go to Spain. Wanna see family.

Thanks again..
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:36 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How does one go about importing a car?

Originally Posted by 1luvdolph1ns
Hello everyone, I am new and still green around the gills compared with all you living in Spain.

I need to know what is the best way (if poss) to import (ship) a car from America into Spain? Or it best to go via the UK and register it there first before shipping it or driving into Spain? It's a left hooker 4x4 truck
We are going to live in Spain, near Javea and obviously need transport. If we cannot import our car - what is the chance of getting a car on HP in Spain as a newbie? :scared:

Would so appreciate some help on this - have been in the US temp on biz and going to UK before we go to Spain. Wanna see family.

Thanks again..
This is going to be short and sweet, if the figures still match up in your budget then let me know and i will give a more detailed response.

Because your vehicle is from outside of the EU it will need some very expensive and lengthy tests done on it. If you had them done in the UK it would cost roughly €3,700 and a further €2,000 (approx) for shipment

It would make no sence to export it to the UK first as it would have to cost more as you would have to convert it to RHD spec (right hooker) which means normaly lights/fog lights. Which is obviously extra cost, you can do it cheaply by adding reflective strips and rewiring the rear fog light to be ont he other side. But really seems pointless, you would be better to export it to Spain directly. But with the language barrier (if you do not speak very good Spanish) it would be a nightmare to do (it's even a nightmare to do in the uk if you speak english )

You would be better off buying in the EU, possibly Germany and exporting it to Spain (cheaper normaly in Germany)

If you buy from outside of Spain, before handing any money over ask them to order a C.O.C for you.. This is a Certificate Of Conformity which basicaly says it is legal to drive in any EU country. (Just incase you buy outside of Spain or Plan on living anywhere else in the EU in the future) by having this you bypass all the test needed and when registering a car it would only cost a couple of hundred euros

Last edited by zel; Feb 7th 2005 at 11:40 am.