Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

should i move to London?????

should i move to London?????

Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

fayee28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should i move to London?????

im a 26 year old female, living in south africa but would love to move to the UK. I feel that im stuck in a dead end job and need some change in my life.

i have a degree in Marketing, don't know if that will help in finding a job. i have a british passport so atleast i dnt have to worry about getting a visa.

can anyone give me some advice on the best thing to do, is moving to the uk a good idea? i don't have much saved up either
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Zenettii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: should i move to London?????

The realistic grounding
Although there are plenty of jobs out there in London, there is lots of competition for them. I work in the recruitment industry and get an idea on how many people apply for jobs. Also with banks like HSBC which are making people redundant all over the show (Hemel call centre has 400 people, and it closes down in 2013 for example) you'll be up against alot of people in consultancy and marketing industry.
You'll be lucky to find a tiny apartment to rent at less than £1000 p/m in the London/greater London area, plus add a travel cost of £1000 or more for getting to work.

The fun

If you like noise, the party life style and getting out and about, then London can be a lot of fun. There is always something to do, although most of it costs money. London is generally a filled with young "hip" people who feel life is all about being loud and social.

You

London is not English, it's one of, if not the most multicultural city in the world and the most english thing about it, is the buses being painted red and taxi's being painted black. If you like quiet time, nature, English life style, London isn't for you. It' dangerous because the police are a joke here, however as you'll be a "minor race" you'll have more laws potecting you then the local british do, as the countries government consider the foreign imports to be more improtant than retaining their locals.

Personally I'd say go somewhere nice a place that respects it's own local traditions and doesn't sell it's self to other countries so much.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fayee28
im a 26 year old female, living in south africa but would love to move to the UK. I feel that im stuck in a dead end job and need some change in my life.

i have a degree in Marketing, don't know if that will help in finding a job. i have a british passport so atleast i dnt have to worry about getting a visa.

can anyone give me some advice on the best thing to do, is moving to the uk a good idea? i don't have much saved up either
Why dont you Google for SA expats in the UK and ask their advice.
Forums like Africa UK but I am sure that you will find others.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zenettii
The realistic grounding
Although there are plenty of jobs out there in London, there is lots of competition for them. I work in the recruitment industry and get an idea on how many people apply for jobs. Also with banks like HSBC which are making people redundant all over the show (Hemel call centre has 400 people, and it closes down in 2013 for example) you'll be up against alot of people in consultancy and marketing industry.
[But there are still a lot of jobs for the right person]
You'll be lucky to find a tiny apartment to rent at less than £1000 p/m in the London/greater London area,
[Many people flat-share possibly with fellow-countrymen]
plus add a travel cost of £1000 or more for getting to work.
[A one hour commute is about £200 per month]

The fun

If you like noise, the party life style and getting out and about, then London can be a lot of fun. There is always something to do, although most of it costs money. London is generally a filled with young "hip" people who feel life is all about being loud and social.
[Lots of excessive drunkeness in Central London - especially at weekends.]

You

London is not English, it's one of, if not the most multicultural city in the world and the most english thing about it, is the buses being painted red and taxi's being painted black. If you like quiet time, nature, English life style, London isn't for you. It' dangerous because the police are a joke here,
[You should experience police in other countries that are a military force and they don't take prisoners]
however as you'll be a "minor race" you'll have more laws potecting you then the local british do, as the countries government consider the foreign imports to be more improtant than retaining their locals.

Personally I'd say go somewhere nice a place that respects it's own local traditions and doesn't sell it's self to other countries so much.
Did you meet your Bulgarian girlfriend in London? Was she a foreign import? I hope you get your move to Bulgaria soon
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:35 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fayee28

Why shouldnt you move to London, its one of the most cosmopolitan citys, plenty to do, plenty to see, maybe even get some work from time to time.

do it now whilst you have the chance, after 2 kids and a broken marriage is too late and it will never happen.

good luck, let us know how you get on.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 12:43 pm
UK Expat Turkey

ozsubasi is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born in London, and like so many other major cities around the world it is huge and you can't generalize one area of it as being typical of the whole.
It is fair to say that is cosmopolitan and that is is expensive, but this varies from one area to another.
My personal knowledge of South Africa is limited to what I hear from two separate friends who live there, but I am pretty sure from what they tell me that the property costs (whether buying or renting) are vastly higher in London.
I don't live there now, I moved to a different part of the UK around 25 years ago because I couldn't afford to live there and since then have moved to another country altogether.
For a young person I guess it can be an exciting place to be, but as has already been pointed out you need to be able to afford it and life can be pretty miserable if you can't keep up.
If you have a well paid job to go to and somewhere to live when you get there I would say go for it, but if not be very cautious indeed. The side of living in London without means or support isn't a happy one.

Last edited by ozsubasi; Aug 6th 2012 at 12:45 pm.