Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Setting up small bsiness in Switzerland

Setting up small bsiness in Switzerland

Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:01 am
Just Joined

miasnow is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Setting up small bsiness in Switzerland

I am a bit stuck (in fact very stuck). I came here a few years ago because of my partner at the time (Swiss). I was working for a UK company as a web designer and artist so was able to work virtually. So I moved in with my partner here in Switzerland and continued to work for the UK company (paid in the UK, paying UK tax & National Insurance).

However my partner and I have split and it has caused all sorts of problems!! I was very down and lost my job in the UK. I moved out of my partners house and took on an apartment on an annual contract here in Switzerland.

My partner and I are getting on fine now and he has offered me some work, but I really don't want to make any commitments as we have a rocky relationship. However I am happy to work as a consultant to his business because I know it so well (website and admin).

The problem is I am in no mans land. I am an unemployed UK citizen who has rented a house all year round in Switzerland. I spend pretty much 7 months a year here, 3 months in the UK and the other two in other countries.

I am scared to ask anyone where I live for advise just in case I am doing something that isn't allowed and it causes me problems. The truth is I have no idea!! I ant to find out so I can make sure everything is above board. So I have a few questions that would help me understand more:

- Can I set up a small business for myslef in Switzerland as a web designer and contract myself out as a consultant to my ex partners Swiss business?
- If so, how do I do this/What do I need?
- Am I allowed to have a house here all year round when I'm not a Swiss citizen?
Am I allowed to spend 7 months a year here, rent all year round and work for a UK company and remain a UK citizen paying UK taxes and insurances, but also work for a Swiss company on a consultancy basis? (For example, set up my business in the UK but live 7 months in Switzerland and contract myslef out to my partners business or other businesses who need web work?

I am so confused and I really appreciate any help I can get or any advise on who I can ask. It's causing me a great deal of stress!!!

Many thanks, Mia
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:34 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up small bsiness in Switzerland

Hi Mia,

Welcome to BE. We've moved your thread from the Welcome Inn to the Europe forum for you and hopefully someone who lives in that neck of the woods will be able to give you a few pointers. Unfortunately I am in the US so can't help you, but I just wanted to pop by and say hi,

Sue
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

miasnow is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Sue. I'm new to this and have now realised after studying the site a bit more how it works!! Thanks again. Really appreciate it!! Mia
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, you might get a response if you say which Canton you are living in. For example, in another life, I used to work in Zürich, and Kanton Zürich didn't appreciate foreigners (at the time). French-speaking Cantons may be more liberal.
Sorry I can't help, but good luck!