Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

On to russia.....

On to russia.....

Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all
Default Re: On to russia.....

Originally Posted by willmore
My concern and frustration isnt with whether I will be granted a visa or not to visit russia, I cant imagine they wouldnt grant one to a canadian.

My frustration is the bloody redtape and expense to obtain a visa and to visit your country. Expenses over and above accommodation, food, incidentials etc. For example:

cost of visa for canadian - $60.00 approximately - over and above the cost of the three photos you must include, proof of payment for accommodation for each place you're staying; and proof of funds.
cost of letter of invitation from accommodation - 30 euros
cost of getting registered with police - 20 euros - this must be done as per the itinerary that we have to include with our visa application. Whether we stay for just a day in one place or stay overnite, we have to register with the police.
migration card - cost unknown - must be filled out and carried with you at all times, along with your passport, visa, etc.
unless we have our passport we are not allowed to leave the hotel or homestay.

now this bloody ridiculous redtape isnt going to stop us from visiting and enjoying your beautiful country, but if russia wants tourists to visit for economic reasons, it might be a good idea to make it easier for them to visit.

Rant is over. I thank you.
You describe the transportation of the fuel. You may proud you are very important product.
Surely Russias tourism is from USSR times dedicated for man safety. And though now it is became just a paper that mean your life still cost something.
In Russia better not to show anything then to show one very danger thing.
That is differens from Turkey or Egypt or others countries of the third world.
I don`t think that any differences could took place.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Vladimir
You describe the transportation of the fuel. You may proud you are very important product.
Surely Russias tourism is from USSR times dedicated for man safety. And though now it is became just a paper that mean your life still cost something.
In Russia better not to show anything then to show one very danger thing.
That is differens from Turkey or Egypt or others countries of the third world.
I don`t think that any differences could took place.
Well I did a quick bit of research and found that there are a few countries with even more stringent regulations for a visa than russia, so there you go.

May have more questions as time gets closer, but despite all the BS redtape we are excited about visiting your little corner of the world.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

Well I did a quick bit of research and found that there are a few countries with even more stringent regulations for a visa than russia, so there you go.

May have more questions as time gets closer, but despite all the BS redtape we are excited about visiting your little corner of the world.
LITTLE????? corner of the world?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LITTLE????? corner of the world?
just a term of endearment...did you know that canada is the second largest country (land mass) after russia.....!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Yes i knew this. But Russia is a bit smaller then Canada and USA in sum.
I see only land per citizen to won for Canada.
And sorry for question is your route to Volga or to Siberia?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes i knew this. But Russia is a bit smaller then Canada and USA in sum.
I see only land per citizen to won for Canada.
And sorry for question is your route to Volga or to Siberia?
Hello again. Our very tentative travel plans are: Fly to Estonia (Tallin), on to Finland (Helsinki), take train to St. Petersburg (2-3 days), train to Novgorod (day trip), train to Moscow (2-3 days) then fly home to Canada.

We really wanted to take a trip to Baikal Lake and Yekaterinburg - but unfortunately the russia is expensive and we also were running out of time - so will save that for our next trip....if we're allowed back in!

Any comments or suggestions would be great!

Where do you live in Russia?

Last edited by willmore; Jul 22nd 2008 at 9:51 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hello again. Our very tentative travel plans are: Fly to Estonia (Tallin), on to Finland (Helsinki), take train to St. Petersburg (2-3 days), train to Novgorod (day trip), train to Moscow (2-3 days) then fly home to Canada.

We really wanted to take a trip to Baikal Lake and Yekaterinburg - but unfortunately the russia is expensive and we also were running out of time - so will save that for our next trip....if we're allowed back in!

Any comments or suggestions would be great!

Where do you live in Russia?
Near Niznhi Novgorod.

In Russia in Summer season all trains are overcrowded. Though from Moscow to St. Petersburg this could be not a such problem. I hope that you already have tickets to train.
Cheap (20$) trains from M-S run 7 hours. Expensive 50$ - 3-4 hours.
In St. P. near Hermitage fly helicopter around city. I aware the planes but this could be interesting for you.
The nature of all this cities isn`t breathtaking. Similiar with savanna in Africa.
From the bulding i can`t to comment.When i first time was there it was cool .Now it isn`t so cool. I don`t know what do you prefer. I am for example wanna see Imax theater in Moscow.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Near Niznhi Novgorod.

In Russia in Summer season all trains are overcrowded. Though from Moscow to St. Petersburg this could be not a such problem. I hope that you already have tickets to train.
Cheap (20$) trains from M-S run 7 hours. Expensive 50$ - 3-4 hours.
In St. P. near Hermitage fly helicopter around city. I aware the planes but this could be interesting for you.
The nature of all this cities isn`t breathtaking. Similiar with savanna in Africa.
From the bulding i can`t to comment.When i first time was there it was cool .Now it isn`t so cool. I don`t know what do you prefer. I am for example wanna see Imax theater in Moscow.
Hello again. We have checked out the cost of the train trip from SP t o moscow, but since we havent finalized our plans as yet, havent booked. We are going from late may to early june, so Im assuming that would still be low season.

You have to remember that canada is a very young country (babe in arms) compared to most european and asian countries. We just celebrated our 146 birthday. We dont have the incredible history that these countries have, and so are fascinated with visiting and seeing the architecture, the old churches, etc. Novogard for example is the most ancient city in the world, dating back to 859AD. We love seeing it first hand, and taking pics as memories.

Take care.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

mia-mia is an unknown quantity at this point

willmore,
here is some website that is worth reading:
http://www.expat.ru/
You might get some piece of advise there that Vladimir and I being Russians, might consider irrelevant or unimportant.
You plan does sound good:visiting two major capital cities and one historical centre in between.Yaroslavl is lovely too, not too far away from Moscow.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

In my HO,
Myshkin, a tiny town in Yaroslav district is worth seeing as well.
http://eng.mouseland.ru/mushkin.html
I personally was enchanted by it's "old Rissia" feel.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Near Niznhi Novgorod.
I'm from Arzamas. Were are you from, mate?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hello again. We have checked out the cost of the train trip from SP t o moscow, but since we havent finalized our plans as yet, havent booked. We are going from late may to early june, so Im assuming that would still be low season.

You have to remember that canada is a very young country (babe in arms) compared to most european and asian countries. We just celebrated our 146 birthday. We dont have the incredible history that these countries have, and so are fascinated with visiting and seeing the architecture, the old churches, etc. Novogard for example is the most ancient city in the world, dating back to 859AD. We love seeing it first hand, and taking pics as memories.

Take care.
Novgorod i think one of the most ancient city. I think it could be right to see Ladoga (or Old Ladoga as it now) the first capital of Russia 142 km to the east of St. Petersberg. As i read first building up to 703AD.
http://maps.google.ru/maps?f=q&hl=ru...8,4.790039&z=8

And i also think the other points of tour is close to the right for the first time.
In every city you could choose something close to the great ages of every city.
9-13 Novgorod
13-17 Moscow
18-19 St. Petersberg
20-21 Moscow.

Last edited by Vladimir; Jul 24th 2008 at 2:58 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mia-mia
I'm from Arzamas. Were are you from, mate?
Cheboksary
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks so much to both of you for all your help.

Hope you wont mind a few more questions as the time gets closer.