Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

On to russia.....

On to russia.....

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default On to russia.....

We are in the very very early stages of planning an early spring trip to russia.

Anyone been there lately with ideas, suggestions........
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:27 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: On to russia.....

Hiya,

I'll ask my friend who spent some years in Russia, and still goes there frequently for some suggestions for you.

Simon
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SirTainly View Post
Hiya,

I'll ask my friend who spent some years in Russia, and still goes there frequently for some suggestions for you.

Simon
Oh simon, that would be great. Thank you!

PM me sometime and let me know how you are doing.....
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:20 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Ok here's what was suggested:

"Moscow and St Petersburg are both musts and need a good week between them to do both justice. Further afield, I would really recommend Volgograd (if you're into military stuff) and I liked Ekaterinburg also. (Veliki) Novgorod (NB not Nizhni-Novgorod where they make the GAZ cars (btw it means Gosudarstveniy Avtomobilniy Zavod - State Car Factory)) is worth a day trip and I've heard Siberia, especially Lake Baikal, is great though have never been over that way myself due to either weather, SARS or time."

also

"Trains are cheap and include a bed, but can take 24 hours or more, to get there."

Hope this helps

Simon
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"Moscow and St Petersburg are both musts and need a good week between them to do both justice. Further afield, I would really recommend Volgograd (if you're into military stuff) and I liked Ekaterinburg also. (Veliki) Novgorod (NB not Nizhni-Novgorod where they make the GAZ cars (btw it means Gosudarstveniy Avtomobilniy Zavod - State Car Factory)) is worth a day trip and I've heard Siberia, especially Lake Baikal, is great though have never been over that way myself due to either weather, SARS or time."

also

"Trains are cheap and include a bed, but can take 24 hours or more, to get there."

Hope this helps

Simon
Thank you so much for all your help sweetie.....please thank your friend for me as well.

Now about that pm......
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

also

Hope this helps

Simon
GAZ cars (btw it means Gosudarstveniy Avtomobilniy Zavod - State Car Factory))
Mean Gorkovsky Avtomobilniy Zavod. Soviet name of Nizhni Novgorod was Gorky.
Here make best fuel in Russia.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
GAZ cars (btw it means Gosudarstveniy Avtomobilniy Zavod - State Car Factory))
Mean Gorkovsky Avtomobilniy Zavod. Soviet name of Nizhni Novgorod was Gorky.
Here make best fuel in Russia.
Are you from russia or living there now? Can you explain to me please why your f**king bloody god damn govt makes it so bloody difficult to people to visit your country?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore View Post
Are you from russia or living there now? Can you explain to me please why your f**king bloody god damn govt makes it so bloody difficult to people to visit your country?
They copied the Yanks. ;-))
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
They copied the Yanks. ;-))
ah, that explains alot.....!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:07 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the very very early stages of planning an early spring trip to russia.

Anyone been there lately with ideas, suggestions........
we have an apartment in Moscow, close to Red Square - it's a brill location.

re shopping, be sure and visit GUM which is an architectural masterpiece in itself besides the shopping. also close to The Kremlin check out Okhotny Ryad Mall for even more shopping. I've not been in just over a year but hear it's going strong ~

http://www.bovislendlease.com/llweb/bll/main.nsf/images/pdf_russia_okhotny_ryad.pdf/$file/pdf_russia_okhotny_ryad.pdf!

St Petersburg is not to be missed - one of the most beautiful cities in the world! not sure when you are planning to visit but the White Nights period in St Petersburg is the end of June, beginning of July when the area becomes a very 'special place'...daylight all day long hence the name and well worth seeing!

have fun, it's a fantastic part of the world and not to be missed!

BTW Moscow>St Pete's about 5 hrs by train, 1 1/2 plane.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

I don`t no what you mean. But i nead at least 30 days to get visa, 600 euro salary (In russia average is 400 euro) and and still no garanties to visit UK.
What problem you can tell me?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

ah, that explains alot.....!
Surely Rusia understands like Eastern Rome and USA like Western Rome. USA and Russia very similar.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TruBrit View Post

re shopping, be sure and visit GUM which is an architectural masterpiece in itself besides the shopping. also close to The Kremlin check out Okhotny Ryad Mall for even more shopping. I've not been in just over a year but hear it's going strong ~

http://www.bovislendlease.com/llweb/bll/main.nsf/images/pdf_russia_okhotny_ryad.pdf/$file/pdf_russia_okhotny_ryad.pdf!

St Petersburg is not to be missed - one of the most beautiful cities in the world! not sure when you are planning to visit but the White Nights period in St Petersburg is the end of June, beginning of July when the area becomes a very 'special place'...daylight all day long hence the name and well worth seeing!

As a Russian I dislike this places. But foreigners likes them. I don`t no why.
Moscow too dirty. St Petersburg too old.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
I don`t no what you mean. But i nead at least 30 days to get visa, 600 euro salary (In russia average is 400 euro) and and still no garanties to visit UK.
What problem you can tell me?
My concern and frustration isnt with whether I will be granted a visa or not to visit russia, I cant imagine they wouldnt grant one to a canadian.

My frustration is the bloody redtape and expense to obtain a visa and to visit your country. Expenses over and above accommodation, food, incidentials etc. For example:

cost of visa for canadian - $60.00 approximately - over and above the cost of the three photos you must include, proof of payment for accommodation for each place you're staying; and proof of funds.
cost of letter of invitation from accommodation - 30 euros
cost of getting registered with police - 20 euros - this must be done as per the itinerary that we have to include with our visa application. Whether we stay for just a day in one place or stay overnite, we have to register with the police.
migration card - cost unknown - must be filled out and carried with you at all times, along with your passport, visa, etc.
unless we have our passport we are not allowed to leave the hotel or homestay.

now this bloody ridiculous redtape isnt going to stop us from visiting and enjoying your beautiful country, but if russia wants tourists to visit for economic reasons, it might be a good idea to make it easier for them to visit.

Rant is over. I thank you.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TruBrit View Post

You are such a sweetheart. I will pm you with details. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Despite all the redtape we are excited about visiting russia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.