Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Road to a Grecian turn?

Road to a Grecian turn?

Old May 17th 2015, 8:39 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road to a Grecian turn?

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I wonder why whoever it was who brought your attention to this didn't give the full version?

The government is indeed scrapping the evaluation scheme put in place by the previous administration on the grounds that is both unfair and open to abuse.

It will shortly be implementing a new programme which will be fairer and more geared to promotion on merit.

Furthermore it will be taking steps to weed out staff whose positions were obtained through false declarations of experience or qualifications.

A good example of better practice, I'd say, and one which you'd hope any responsible government would employ.
If it turns out that way for sure Eric but I have my doubts it will turn out that way given the track record of the Government in question....
Old May 18th 2015, 12:07 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Varoufakis has stated that there is a split in the Holy Trinity which is holding up a deal to save Greece.
Attached Thumbnails Road to a Grecian turn?-greece-sign.png.jpg  
Old May 19th 2015, 10:28 am
Just Joined

efarsarakis is an unknown quantity at this point

Any thoughts on how your views have changed since Feb? I'd say less optimism for change, more chance of more of the same...
Old May 19th 2015, 10:37 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by efarsarakis
Any thoughts on how your views have changed since Feb? I'd say less optimism for change, more chance of more of the same...
I think you are right it will be onward with "extend and pretend".

I think creating the fake figures showing a first quarter surplus must be very disappointing for those who thought Syriza offered real change rather than just returning to the dishonest accouinting and overspending that got Greece into this mess in the first place.

Still there appears to be a growing appetite amongst the creditors for more extend and pretend so a classic EU fudge looks a bit more likely to me, particularly if Varoufakeit can keep his big trap shut and not provoke a Grexident.

Old May 20th 2015, 6:24 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still optimistic for change.

A deal will be agreed soon which will at least give some temporary respite to the government without its having had to back down on the most controversial of the demanded "reforms" or to work to an impossible primary surplus target.

They will be able to continue their work on combating corruption and tax evasion plus the really important reforms required in the public sector - I say continue because I believe they have started on this to the extent that the changes are being felt, despite the fact that it goes largely unreported in the foreign press. And that is very important because they were elected on those matters just as much as on those relating to the debt.

And I still believe they can be the catalyst for change on a wider front.

The major change for me since February is that I now have an even more jaundiced view of the EU and more particularly of the EZ representatives. I've always previously been largely pro EU and I still am despite having some serious misgivings on some matters - but I would seriously welcome a change of personnel. Some coming up later this year, I believe.
Old May 20th 2015, 7:19 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm still optimistic for change.

A deal will be agreed soon which will at least give some temporary respite to the government without its having had to back down on the most controversial of the demanded "reforms" or to work to an impossible primary surplus target.

They will be able to continue their work on combating corruption and tax evasion plus the really important reforms required in the public sector - I say continue because I believe they have started on this to the extent that the changes are being felt, despite the fact that it goes largely unreported in the foreign press. And that is very important because they were elected on those matters just as much as on those relating to the debt.

And I still believe they can be the catalyst for change on a wider front.

The major change for me since February is that I now have an even more jaundiced view of the EU and more particularly of the EZ representatives. I've always previously been largely pro EU and I still am despite having some serious misgivings on some matters - but I would seriously welcome a change of personnel. Some coming up later this year, I believe.
I am, like you, also hopefully that optimistic that a deal (a classic EU fudge) can be reached and GREXIT/GREXCIDENT avoided. Moreover, I completely agree that the lenders are willing to give ground on the primary surplus.

I also hope Syriza can actually start tackling tax evasion and illegality in a concrete way rather than just pontificating on it, this will be a great step forward.

I do not share your belief that they can be the catalyst for change on a wider front particularly given their recent return to fraudulent economics to try and create the illusion of a Q1 primary surplus. It will be extend and pretend not transformational change I am afraid.

I already had that, rightly, jaundiced view of the EU so nothing changes other than your view converging with mine.

Last edited by Garbatellamike; May 20th 2015 at 7:24 am.
Old May 20th 2015, 7:24 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still pessimistic and my money is still on a Grexident, ie an exit due to circumstances rather than due to a decision.

There are still the same red lines on both sides of the negotiation and both sides still have to get approval. Syriza looks unlikely to accept the deal which is being bandied around by Tsipras and he would have to rely on opposition votes to get it through. I think the opposition would rather see Syriza voted out of government.

The IMF is playing particularly hard-ball - they would much prefer to be written-out of future participation so they can start dealing with other patients on the ward.

Politically in the EU, Greece cannot be seen to get something which was never offered to Portugal, Ireland and Spain otherwise they will never that genie back in the bottle.

Finally, the implmentation of even the agreed reforms is not advancing at any great speed which does not inspire any confidence that new reforms would fare any better.
Old May 20th 2015, 7:26 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Finally, the implmentation of even the agreed reforms is not advancing at any great speed which does not inspire any confidence that new reforms would fare any better.
Yep - This is the key point - they are talking the talk at the ministerial level but not walking the walk in the technical talks to do any details.

I've said it before:

Stop posturing and get on with it!!!
Old May 21st 2015, 2:01 pm
Hostage Negotiator

A good article in the FT today (if they let you read it, of course):-

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/61aa0...#axzz3amTgpd9I
Old May 22nd 2015, 2:05 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

I see that last night's meeting turned into another "what part of do the homework at the technical level and no you can't just have a load of money free of any conditions and call it a political solution" conversation.

Are Syriza actually going to do anything substantive or are they just going to keep on with this deception, ambiguity, contradiction and posturing and hope that the EZ folds and hands over a load of free money??????
Old May 22nd 2015, 2:11 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Looks like the beginning of the end:-

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/dbe44...#axzz3asOdPZPe
Old May 22nd 2015, 2:49 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Looks like the beginning of the end:-

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/dbe44...#axzz3asOdPZPe
The pound has risen to E1.408 .
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:11 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by EMR
The pound has risen to E1.408 .
hmm - market hates uncertainty. Syriza should either fold or default.
Old May 25th 2015, 7:32 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
I see that last night's meeting turned into another "what part of do the homework at the technical level and no you can't just have a load of money free of any conditions and call it a political solution" conversation.

Are Syriza actually going to do anything substantive or are they just going to keep on with this deception, ambiguity, contradiction and posturing and hope that the EZ folds and hands over a load of free money??????

Ambrose Evans-Pritchard has a rather different take on matters in a Telegraph article headed "Defiant Greeks force Europe to negotiating table as time-bomb ticks". An interesting read, in my opinion.
Old May 25th 2015, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting time now.
The conjunction of the Greece deadlines, the defenestration of the Polish president, the local elections in Spain. November general elections in much of Europe.
Not forgetting the UK referendum.
The European Commission must be shi**ing the proverbial.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.