Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Bulgaria

Retiring in Bulgaria

Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:47 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retiring in Bulgaria

Hello, just popping in from the Middle East section, any of you lot living in Bulgaria?

Thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice
Default Re: Retiring in Bulgaria

We lived in Bulgaria for 2 years before moving to Italy we started going to bulgaria in 2005

I take it from the topic title you are looking at Bulgaria as a place to retire to, do you have an idea where about in Bulgaria you would like to be based?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:02 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clint
We lived in Bulgaria for 2 years before moving to Italy we started going to bulgaria in 2005

I take it from the topic title you are looking at Bulgaria as a place to retire to, do you have an idea where about in Bulgaria you would like to be based?
we have an apartment at Sunny Beach
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

we are nearly neighbours lol we are about 30 minutes from SB. It is quiet in Sunny Beach in the winter but I am told there is a really nice Indian restaurant there.

Prices in Bulgaria are going up as in most other countries but with a regular income coming in it is not a bad place to retire to, a lot cheaper than in other countries depending on life style

it can get cold in winter, but I must say we were lucky all the time we were there, it wasn't that bad at all in our village February was the coldest month a bit of snowfor 2/3 weeks but nothing like as cold as in the mountains region
Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Union_Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure prices are going up? Inflation in Bulgaria is the lowest in europe (-1.3%).
It is 2.7% in the UK
Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

ivo_p_ivanov is an unknown quantity at this point

-The property prices in Bulgaria dropped the last 5-6 years, now is the best time to buy in Bulgaria, on the other hand the negative inflation is rather a sign of stagnated economy and negative economic growth.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The property boom in Bulgaria was related to the property boom in the UK. House price inflation ion the UK led to Brits (and others) paying insane pricxes for properties in BG resorts and villages. The market died in 2008.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

-Well if you bought a flat in Suny Beach, or Bansko you wont be at lost, prices in the biggest resorts and in the most popular places in Bulgaria arent dropping.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Union_Jack
Are you sure prices are going up? Inflation in Bulgaria is the lowest in europe (-1.3%).
It is 2.7% in the UK
well having had a house in BG since 2005 and speaking to our friend on a regular basis I can assure you that prices for general cost of living have indeed gone up
Old Nov 9th 2013, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Here you go. Bulgaria lowest inflation on europe.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rgy-bills.html
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 10:24 am
Just Joined

It has to be said that the ageing /low birth rate/ and the permanent emigration of the Bulgarians to the west together with the miserable and non rising salaries of the small working portion of the population /about 25-30% employed, 30-35% retired and 15-20% unemployed/ are the factors that lead to shrinking of the internal market in Bulgaria leading to the deflation, it is indeed a bad and warning sign this negative inflation here in BG.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

IrishGuyAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if I am in the wrong place here but anyway. I recently applied for a job in Bansko and have been invited across to take a look around and meet the owners of the company for an interview etc, so I was hoping to get some advice.

Firstly, I have been travelling for a few years now so I'm well aware of what its like living abroad and how tough it can be. I saw this job which interested me and applied without really putting much thought into it as I didn't really expect to hear back. Its at a resort but for obvious reasons I don't want to name names.

I was hoping some people could advise me on what its like in Bansko, I have a partner and a one year old daughter who would be coming with me. The salary mentioned would be about 1,500EUR per month. I have tried to find as much info as I can on Bansko but I am drawing a blank - most of the forums have threads on warmer resort areas but I have found it hard to find any info on Bansko.

Is there anyone that can give me any pointers on what it would be like in this area with a family? Is there many ex pats in the area? Is the salary mentioned liveable? If your advise is to stay away then that's fine!

Thanks for reading and hope to hear your replies
Old Jan 1st 2014, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

www.mybulgaria.info
Old Jan 1st 2014, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

IrishGuy - might be worth a look on YouTube as well.