Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Passport Question (UK)

Passport Question (UK)

Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Question (UK)

Originally Posted by Ray51
I suppose you know the facts ;
I would/should have thought Rome or Milano would be good enough , for expats in Italy ?
Or Bruxelles , the Capital of EU , for thousands and thousands of Brits hereabouts ?
What exactly are the British public (dis ) service playing at ?
Alternatively , why not DHL every applicattion ( if you can get your hands on one ) to Wales or N. Ireland , see how that works ?
Because the individual embassy departments check the applications before sending them to the UK. Bit like the post office do in the UK. Also a non British resident is theoretically not allowed to to apply for a passport in the UK. Same way as you can't apply for a renewal UK driving licence if you are resident outside the UK in Europe.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 4:14 am
TYT
Forum Regular

TYT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Question (UK)

Originally Posted by jamieamis
I am looking to move to the USA at some time in 2012 (see previous posts in USA forum etc). My British Passport expires in 2013 so i am looking to apply for a renewal of my current passport but still have plenty of trips to the US etc planned.

How do I go about renewing my passport and how long does this process usually take?
Renewed mine and my kids last December. We used the Premium Service. We submitted our renewal applications in the morning at the Passport Office in London and were asked to collect later in the afternoon (4pm or 6pm - i cant remember which).

You have a host of options:
Premium service as above
Check and send at the Post Office - with that i think you have the option of normal processing or 1 week fast track.
I think you can also pick up the forms from the PO, or request it online, fill and send them off yourself.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Passport Question (UK)

Originally Posted by TYT
Renewed mine and my kids last December. We used the Premium Service. We submitted our renewal applications in the morning at the Passport Office in London and were asked to collect later in the afternoon (4pm or 6pm - i cant remember which).

You have a host of options:
Premium service as above
Check and send at the Post Office - with that I think you have the option of normal processing or 1 week fast track.
I think you can also pick up the forms from the PO, or request it online, fill and send them off yourself.
The request online is a bit different, you fill in an online form downloaded in Adobie press send and that is returned instantly to passport office, they check it probably against other online sources and if your OK send it out to you as a completed printed application within five days. You add new photo and fee sign and send back with your old passport. Then it takes about 5 days for them to send the new passport by courier. All for the standard fee of £77.50 You can also add up to 9 months unexpired time to your new passport so you can choose the window you want to do the renewal in.