Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Passport Question (UK)

Passport Question (UK)

Old Jul 31st 2011, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

jamieamis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport Question (UK)

I am looking to move to the USA at some time in 2012 (see previous posts in USA forum etc). My British Passport expires in 2013 so i am looking to apply for a renewal of my current passport but still have plenty of trips to the US etc planned.

How do I go about renewing my passport and how long does this process usually take?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Question (UK)

Originally Posted by jamieamis
I am looking to move to the USA at some time in 2012 (see previous posts in USA forum etc). My British Passport expires in 2013 so i am looking to apply for a renewal of my current passport but still have plenty of trips to the US etc planned.

How do I go about renewing my passport and how long does this process usually take?
Go to the post office and they have a passport renewal checking service which ensures that everything is done correctly and you dont end up having the stuff returned to you for amendment.

My only recent experience is applying via the Embassy in Madrid (which is what we have to do here). the forms still go back to the UK by courier, and the process seems to take about 2 weeks. If that is indicative, then you are looking at two weeks or just under. You can get the forms from the post office or off the passport office web site, together with instructions on how to fill them in
Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

libra90210 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure if you have a choice, probably not, but just to make sure, you will need a biometric passport to travel to the USA. It is required by the ESTA thing.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by libra90210
I am not sure if you have a choice, probably not, but just to make sure, you will need a biometric passport to travel to the USA. It is required by the ESTA thing.
You know you have to pay for ESTA "visa" now!!!!
Previously it was free, and now you have to pay €14.00 per person, just had our renewals come through
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You know you have to pay for ESTA "visa" now!!!!
Previously it was free, and now you have to pay €14.00 per person, just had our renewals come through
well a new passport is £77.50, with chip IIRC
this allows you to stand around at Stansted for up to 40mins shuffling forward in a queue when the automatic passport reading section, put in at great expense to reduce queues, is sectioned off and not used.

as you will have to take off your glasses for the photo you must remember to take your glasses off when using the new chip machines. glasses still on means a rejection.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Passport Question (UK)

Originally Posted by jamieamis

I am making the assumption that you are based in UK. The passport website (google) is very good have a hunt round,

You will see that you can renew up to 9mths early and that is added to your new passport.

We have both used this facilty in the past 6mths to renew it means you can choose the window.

The nearest passport office to you is Peterborough and you can at great cost do it in the day if you book an appointment. But why waste money, plan ahead.

We both used the online application system, your data is checked by the passport office who send the completed filled in form to you to sign and return with your old passport and new photos plus the £77.50 fee. Both of us did our photos at Tesco for £5 and they were accepted no probs.

The 5 working day return time for the filled in application from the passport office was shorter for us both and Kaths only took about 2 weeks in total so that can't be bad. The new passport arrived by courier before the old one by post!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:41 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Domino
well a new passport is £77.50, with chip IIRC
Yes, but at least I'm paying my own Government for it.

Whereas the green card that we used to fill in on the plane is now replaced with this system, which results in an entrance fee payable to the US
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

That's still mild !
In the actual Capital of EUrope ( full of British diplomats , public servants and other Brit-expats ) it was wisely announced that the renewal U.K. passports can now only be obtained from Paris ; this requires a courier ( DHL or similar ) and the whole nuissance costs a small fortune .
( Used to be : 1 week wait , get a new one from the conveniently-situated Consulate here , much less spent . )
What's the point of paying and abetting one's government , which does such things to you ?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:22 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Ray51
That's still mild !
In the actual Capital of EUrope ( full of British diplomats , public servants and other Brit-expats ) it was wisely announced that the renewal U.K. passports can now only be obtained from Paris ; this requires a courier ( DHL or similar ) and the whole nuissance costs a small fortune .
( Used to be : 1 week wait , get a new one from the conveniently-situated Consulate here , much less spent . )
What's the point of paying and abetting one's government , which does such things to you ?
Thats been the case in Spain for ages, as all passports have to go via Madrid

You might as well ask whats the point of paying and abetting someone elses government though, just to be able to go and spend money there
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:24 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes, but at least I'm paying my own Government for it.

Whereas the green card that we used to fill in on the plane is now replaced with this system, which results in an entrance fee payable to the US
most things in our lives are conditional on payment of a fee
participation depends on the need and the quality of what that fee provides

other than I hate flying, why am I staying in Europe ..
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

@Mitzy : At least , Madrid is in the same country where you live ,
for Goodness' sake !
For me to have to send DHLs to France , N.B. from the actual political Capital of the EU ? well , why not also rather to Greece or Iceland , Switzeland or Austria , then ? Norway's also not too bad , or should we try Tenerife ?
And as for Dom : everyday I ask myself , how could I have been so stupid to come to live in EU again . I'll never live that mistake down .
Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Passport Question (UK)

That's still mild !
Portugal has to go through Madrid too!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:45 pm
Senior Moment

for Goodness' sake !.
I'm sorry, whats that got to do with paying Homeland Security for American Visas?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:51 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

for Goodness' sake !
For me to have to send DHLs to France , N.B. from the actual political Capital of the EU ? well , why not also rather to Greece or Iceland , Switzeland or Austria , then ? Norway's also not too bad , or should we try Tenerife ? .
Italian residents have to send their UK passport to France too. Which begs the question. Why can't we just send them to the UK?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

I suppose you know the facts ;
I would/should have thought Rome or Milano would be good enough , for expats in Italy ?
Or Bruxelles , the Capital of EU , for thousands and thousands of Brits hereabouts ?
What exactly are the British public (dis ) service playing at ?
Alternatively , why not DHL every applicattion ( if you can get your hands on one ) to Wales or N. Ireland , see how that works ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.