Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Passport question

Passport question

Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:50 pm
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport question

I'm a bit confused about all this passport/citizenship business, I hope someone can help me.... plz.....

First question: I was born in the UK to British parents, and have been living in Germany since 1995. I have no more connections to the UK - don't vote, pay tax there or anything - and my last passport was issued by the consulate in Düsseldorf. On the other hand, I'm still here on a renewable residence permit (although I'm entitled to permanent residence now). Can anyone tell me under which circumstances a British citizen would be said to have forfeited his/her right of abode in the UK?

Second question: about my 5 year-old son. I'm British, but he was born in Munich to a German father. What nationality and status does he have (British citizen, British national, or any other of the umpteen categories)?

Many thanks in advance,
Heather
Old Nov 4th 2006, 4:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport question

If you are a UK citizen you stay a UK citizen, You are also part of the EU, so you can live and work anywhere in the EU, (renewable residence permit ?).
Maybe if you had registered your child in the UK also he would of had Dual Nationalty, But I would of thought he was German at the moment.
The best place for correct answers for you would be the British embassy.

British Embassy, Berlin.

Passports...
In the first passport application to get him a British Passport you have to include your birth certificate "Applicants born outside the UK after 1983 are required to submit their British-born parent's documents"

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jdr; Nov 4th 2006 at 4:29 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 4:49 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

www.immigrationboards.com

www.ukresident.com

Both very good sites for thoughts on passports citizehsip etc
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anglogerman
First question: I was born in the UK to British parents, and have been living in Germany since 1995. I have no more connections to the UK - don't vote, pay tax there or anything - and my last passport was issued by the consulate in Düsseldorf. On the other hand, I'm still here on a renewable residence permit (although I'm entitled to permanent residence now). Can anyone tell me under which circumstances a British citizen would be said to have forfeited his/her right of abode in the UK?
NONE. A British citizen is always entitled to return to the UK.

Your German permanent residence will probably be lost once you've lived away from Germany for a period of time, although as long as EU regulations remain in place you could always return on your British passport.

Second question: about my 5 year-old son. I'm British, but he was born in Munich to a German father. What nationality and status does he have (British citizen, British national, or any other of the umpteen categories)?
British citizen (by descent). There is no specific legal status of "British national" although it is a generic term applied to all holders of the seven categories of British nationality (the other six generally apply to people connected with British territories or former territories).

He is also most likely a German citizen.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Maybe if you had registered your child in the UK also he would of had Dual Nationalty, But I would of thought he was German at the moment.
He's both British and German, most likely.

Registration of non-UK born children as British citizens with the Home Office is required in some circumstances, but based on the information supplied, the child is automatically a British citizen.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:20 pm
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
He's both British and German, most likely.

Registration of non-UK born children as British citizens with the Home Office is required in some circumstances, but based on the information supplied, the child is automatically a British citizen.
Thank you all, that's a great help!