Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

old comp vs new comp

old comp vs new comp

Old May 29th 2004, 7:51 am
Just Joined

flinanfletch is an unknown quantity at this point
Question old comp vs new comp

We are planning on moving to Spain (Los Montesinos, Costa Blanca) around January 2005, our pc is about 4 years old. My question is should we take this one or buy new in Spain and roughly how much are PC's in Spain?
Is there a web site I can look at with prices etc in Spain?
Old May 30th 2004, 1:02 am
Just Joined

webwizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: old comp vs new comp

Originally posted by flinanfletch
We are planning on moving to Spain (Los Montesinos, Costa Blanca) around January 2005, our pc is about 4 years old. My question is should we take this one or buy new in Spain and roughly how much are PC's in Spain?
Is there a web site I can look at with prices etc in Spain?
If your computer is working well and not giving you any problems there really is no need to chage it. All you will need to do is aquire a new cable to connect to the spanish telephone socket.
I have seen on sale in UK airports international adapters if you need to be online asap ,although more of a temporary measure.

Also, would a Spanish keyboard cause a problem when typing?
Old May 30th 2004, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

flinanfletch is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Thanks for that, I think I will hang on until closer to the time and then decide. As for the spanish keyboard, I guess I would get used to it.

One other question, what about broadband, is it easy to get in Spain and roughly how expensive?
Old May 30th 2004, 8:24 pm
mickj

Also.....since its 4yrs old, and by then it will be 5yrs old, you probably want to upgrade a few components like the motherboard, ram, graphics card, processor and the OS. All these can be done on a cheap by going down to a computer fair to buy these parts, no need for a new one.

Good luck

Thanks for that, I think I will hang on until closer to the time and then decide. As for the spanish keyboard, I guess I would get used to it.

One other question, what about broadband, is it easy to get in Spain and roughly how expensive?

Old May 31st 2004, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

movetogandia is an unknown quantity at this point

Broadband is available, but do be sure to check its availability for the actual property you are interested in - some properties cannot even get regular telephone - there are alternatives, but depending on just how out of the way you are, they can be expensive.

Telephone adapters are readily available - but for incoming calls (ie fax or voice) remember that Spain uses a different wiring system to the UK, so you will need an adapter with a ring circuit, otherwise your phone won't ring and your fax won't answer.
Lots of sources - one I found was at http://www.solwise.co.uk/telesun.htm

For an article on issues with telephone installation and other potential problems buying a home in spain, read Property Pitfalls - Telephone Availability in Spain

HTH
Steve

Last edited by movetogandia; Jun 1st 2004 at 3:55 am.
Old May 31st 2004, 7:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I brought out a AMD K6 400 computer which is about 6 or 7 years old, and still going strong.
I think pc`s are probably cheaper here.
To have broadband, you have to get a telefonica line first and then apply for BB. You also have to speak fluent Spanish cos thats the only langauge BB talks in...
they will do a test to see if you can recieve BB on your line. A friend who lives 200 mtrs further across the urbanisation cant recieve it though.
Maybe ask a few neighbours if they can get it.
The BB is only about 1/4 of a MB and with the rent of the phoneline inc + IVA etc costs about 60 € a month.
The router is now free i think, and you can use up to 4 PC´s on it.
There is also sat dish BB, but a bit pricey.
Old May 31st 2004, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

There are also some telephonica agents around who advertise in the English speaking newspapers. It might be an idea to pop into one of the Agents office, as it often gets things done quicker. The agent checked for me to see if I could get ADSL. Might be worth the visit before you buy or rent.

I think computers are more expensive over here in relation to UK,I think there is better opportunity of getting better deals over there. I brought my equipment and brough it over with me. Most I had to do was get a different lead for the computer and also the telephone system. If your computer does what you want, dont change until it dies on you.or you outgrow it.

Originally posted by jdr
I brought out a AMD K6 400 computer which is about 6 or 7 years old, and still going strong.
I think pc`s are probably cheaper here.
To have broadband, you have to get a telefonica line first and then apply for BB. You also have to speak fluent Spanish cos thats the only langauge BB talks in...
they will do a test to see if you can recieve BB on your line. A friend who lives 200 mtrs further across the urbanisation cant recieve it though.
Maybe ask a few neighbours if they can get it.
The BB is only about 1/4 of a MB and with the rent of the phoneline inc + IVA etc costs about 60 € a month.
The router is now free i think, and you can use up to 4 PC´s on it.
There is also sat dish BB, but a bit pricey.