Old Jan 14th 2023, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

michael32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New member

Hi

new member, lucky to find this forum.

my main reason of course is searching for advice.

currently I’m living in the UK (am a citizen)

my gf is a Czech citizen. Time is moving on and she would like me to relocate.

I am looking at all the visa options. Mostly so I can stay with her for more than 90 days. Occasionally I would return to the UK for work related purposes. Fortunately I have a job that allows me to leave the position for several months. So I have a unique opportunity for myself.

Relocating to the UK is not an option, she would like to stay close to her family. To be honest, I enjoy the lifestyle I have accumulated in Czech.

at this point I’m visiting her for 2 weeks to 3 weeks at a time. Then 4 weeks apart. But time has come to a point where she’d like me to be there much longer.

I have looked at a few job opportunities there but I’m still young and don’t want to give up the income I can make here. 5 months work at my current job equates to nearly a years income in a reasonable job in Olomouc.

I was thinking maybe 90 days in Czech, returning to the UK for 4 months work.

but we want to start a family too. My mind is trying to be logical with less hassle and paperwork.

but still, starting a family will require more of my time with her.

I have looked into the partner visa (residency visa).

but in this matter I’m a bit useless. Working and paying my way is more my thing.

if there is any info, I would appreciate it.

i have looked at a few websites, but they make little sense to me. Plus I’m unsure about the company’s that do the process for me.

I don’t speak much Czech apart from what is needed to order beer and can I pay by card. I am learning though.

Although recently I discovered that when I say in Czech ‘can I pay by card’ I have actually been saying ‘can I pay by duck’.

Old Jan 15th 2023, 7:08 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New member

Originally Posted by michael32
Hi

new member, lucky to find this forum.

my main reason of course is searching for advice.

currently I’m living in the UK (am a citizen)

my gf is a Czech citizen. Time is moving on and she would like me to relocate.

I am looking at all the visa options. Mostly so I can stay with her for more than 90 days. Occasionally I would return to the UK for work related purposes. Fortunately I have a job that allows me to leave the position for several months. So I have a unique opportunity for myself.

Relocating to the UK is not an option, she would like to stay close to her family. To be honest, I enjoy the lifestyle I have accumulated in Czech.

at this point I’m visiting her for 2 weeks to 3 weeks at a time. Then 4 weeks apart. But time has come to a point where she’d like me to be there much longer.

I have looked at a few job opportunities there but I’m still young and don’t want to give up the income I can make here. 5 months work at my current job equates to nearly a years income in a reasonable job in Olomouc.

I was thinking maybe 90 days in Czech, returning to the UK for 4 months work.

but we want to start a family too. My mind is trying to be logical with less hassle and paperwork.

but still, starting a family will require more of my time with her.

I have looked into the partner visa (residency visa).

but in this matter I’m a bit useless. Working and paying my way is more my thing.

if there is any info, I would appreciate it.

i have looked at a few websites, but they make little sense to me. Plus I’m unsure about the company’s that do the process for me.

I don’t speak much Czech apart from what is needed to order beer and can I pay by card. I am learning though.

Although recently I discovered that when I say in Czech ‘can I pay by card’ I have actually been saying ‘can I pay by duck’.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
What's your present employment status? Are you salaried with a UK company, or working free-lance? Others will come along with the exact EU regulations, but AFAIK, the "law of the bum" applies throughout the EU, i.e. where you're sitting working, you pay your dues. If you are salaried, your employers would have to accept to comply with the Czech Social Security system. If you're already free-lance, you'd have to set up a Czech business structure and pay your contributions.
I hope your post will attract a more useful response - maybe you should add "Czech Republic" in the title?
Good luck with your endeavours!
Old Jan 15th 2023, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Thank you

i am salaried from the UK.

thank you
Old Jan 15th 2023, 11:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

i am salaried from the UK.

thank you
OK, so your employers would have to find out what's involved if you work for them in the Czech Republic.
The best port of call would be the Czech Consulate
https://www.mzv.cz/london/en/visa_an...ion/index.html
HTH
Old Jan 15th 2023, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for this

i Maybe reading it wrong. But it mentions that travel for British passport holder is not restricted to 90 days. But before I depart my passport should still be valid for 3 months.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 7:03 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you for this

i Maybe reading it wrong. But it mentions that travel for British passport holder is not restricted to 90 days. But before I depart my passport should still be valid for 3 months.
Fair enough, but right at the bottom, after "IV - Nationals who are holders of the following travel documents ..., REQUIRE a Visa for tourism and business trips", the Remarks mention a few caveats.
In fact, unless I've missed something, I haven't seen any mention of a Work Visa.
Since there aren't many members coming forward with knowledge of visas for the Czech Republic, enquire at the Czech Consulate which is the best placed for up-to-date requirements...
P.S. As you're expecting this to be a permanent move, continue to learn to speak/read Czech, but seriously so!
Old Jan 16th 2023, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Mike2bay is an unknown quantity at this point

I am using Firefox. Somehow I cannot see a button or link to "Create a New Post" or "New Thread". Please advise.

Last edited by Mike2bay; Jan 16th 2023 at 7:16 am.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 7:27 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

The Czech Republic is part of Schengen, theefore the usual rules apply now to UK citizens. As per this, under the heading "Entry of UK Citizens after 01.01.2021" :
Entry of UK citizens after 01.01.2021

If you want to come and go fairly freely, I'd have thought the only way around that is a residence visa, unless there's some provision for recognised relationships which avoids that. I havent looked into what's involved specifically with Czech residence visas but be aware there may be a requirement to be present in the country for a set number of days to maintain validity.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Fair enough, but right at the bottom, after "IV - Nationals who are holders of the following travel documents ..., REQUIRE a Visa for tourism and business trips", the Remarks mention a few caveats.
In fact, unless I've missed something, I haven't seen any mention of a Work Visa.
Since there aren't many members coming forward with knowledge of visas for the Czech Republic, enquire at the Czech Consulate which is the best placed for up-to-date requirements...
P.S. As you're expecting this to be a permanent move, continue to learn to speak/read Czech, but seriously so!
I read again, IV is referring to a passport issued to refugees etc.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 3:03 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike2bay
I am using Firefox. Somehow I cannot see a button or link to "Create a New Post" or "New Thread". Please advise.
If you go the the 'Europe' forum, on the front page if you scroll down past all the countries you will see the general posts, at the top of that section you will see a box with +new thread, click on that and you should be able to open a new thread, it's a bit different to specific country forums.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Mike2bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: New member

Thanks mikelincs! Perfect!
Old Jan 17th 2023, 7:27 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I read again, IV is referring to a passport issued to refugees etc.
My bad, I thought British Travel Document was another term for Passport
But Red Eric's post confirms that you'll need a long-term Visa/Permit, for which you must apply at the Czech Embassy/Consulate....
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Seems that if the trip is gainful I’d need to apply for visa. But again, I checked the link and it doesn’t mention a requirement for visa to visit. It was updated this year. But this on Czech Embassy Website. I must be reading it wrong?
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 7:04 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Seems that if the trip is gainful I’d need to apply for visa. But again, I checked the link and it doesn’t mention a requirement for visa to visit. It was updated this year. But this on Czech Embassy Website. I must be reading it wrong?
As a UK citizen you do not require a visa to visit anywhere in the Schengen Zone but you must keep your visits down to a limit of 90 days in any 180 (a continually rolling window).

If you wish to work or stay longer than 90 days in 180 / reside in any of the Schengen countries, you must apply to the national authority for a visa prior to entry.
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cihadlo is an unknown quantity at this point

You remind me of myself about 15 years ago. Living with a Czech girlfriend in the UK who decided she needed to be nearer her parents. I spent maybe two years on long-term visits, having an employer that was in the UK and CR. Until you get residence, you will just be a tourist with a Czech girlfriend. The EU freedom of movement rules made it much easier for me to get established in the CR than it will be for you. It also made it much easier that I had a Czech employer when I committed to a permanent move - you get automatically enrolled in the Czech health and pension schemes and tax issues were largely taken care of. I didn’t need a work permit. You’ll need residency to rent or buy somewhere to live. You’ll find it difficult in the post Brexit world to do things like open a bank account without residency or buy a car. Your driving license won’t be recognized once you are no longer a tourist. You’ll need to pass a language test to get permanent residency and it may be to a higher standard soon; unless you’re a linguistic genius, you’ll need to put some hard work in; knowing the difference between kachnou and kartou won’t get you very far. Brexit will create a whole series of obstacles that simply didn’t exist for me. I’m not sure that in 2023 I would do what I began in 2008.

it won’t be easy.
Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.