Moving to UK

Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:16 am
Just Joined

JacobByskov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to UK

Hello everybody

I'm a 19 years old guy from Denmark, who wants to move from Denmark to UK. Now i'm looking for a cheap place to settle down. I dont how any idea about what the easiest way of this might be, so I could really use some help. I'm thinking about renting a single bed-room (small is good), with shared bath and kitchen. I dont know if this is even possible, but I hope you could help me. My budget is around 1000 pounds a month + ransom, but this is both renting and food money. Can you assist me with some pages, where I can find something that could be interesting for me? I would prefer living close to either London or Manchester.

Else I would like to know about the food prices (Both cooking myself and restaurant/pub prices), alcohol prices (Supermarket and pub/nightclubs) and then cigarettes prices etc.

I hope you can come up with some useful inputs, that could help me, because i'm really lost right now ;-)

Greetings Jacob
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:28 am
Just Joined

melonlegs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to UK

Hi Jacob

spareroom.co.uk was really useful for me, but you will probably either want to get a lot of photos beforehand or have a few days spare to visit the places. Most people include the bills in their prices, and I used to pay £300 a month for a single room and all bills, then about £100 (sometimes more) a month on food. This was in Birmingham, but the site does all UK.

Food prices are fairly expensive I think, compared to where we are living abroad now anyway. I cooked from scratch most nights and spent £20 - £30 a week but you could probably manage a lot less depending on what you like to eat! Don't know about alcohol or cigarettes, sorry. I know there are some topics on here about cost of living, you should read up on them!

Hope that helps a little?
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:42 am
Just Joined

That certainly helped. I will check out spareroom.co.uk and see if I can find anything interesting. I will also have a look on the topics that you talked about, and see if I can find more informations.

But thanks, it was great to hear from somebody who has tried it before, and shared his personal experiences It convinced me about the fact that it is possible to live for 1000 pounds a month.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I've never used it, but heard of a site called couch surfing... I guess it's about staying in strangers' homes all on trust. Don't know if it's of any use, but anyway......!!
ref food/alcohol/cigarette prices, you could maybe find good comparisons by going to some of the big supermarkets' online stores. eg Sainsburys, Tesco, etc.

(typed that bit about online shopping without being sure - just checked. Certainly Tesco has beer, cigarettes and lots more as well as groceries all on its website)

Last edited by fionamw; Sep 14th 2011 at 9:36 am. Reason: trial and error!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fionamw
I've never used it, but heard of a site called couch surfing... I guess it's about staying in strangers' homes all on trust. Don't know if it's of any use, but anyway......!!
ref food/alcohol/cigarette prices, you could maybe find good comparisons by going to some of the big supermarkets' online stores. eg Sainsburys, Tesco, etc.

(typed that bit about online shopping without being sure - just checked. Certainly Tesco has beer, cigarettes and lots more as well as groceries all on its website)
I'll try look at couch surfing, and see if thats something for me.

About the online stores, it's actually pretty helpful. You can check prices on almost everything, so thats a big help.

Thanks for the inputs, feel free to bring some more (!)
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

melonlegs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JacobByskov
That certainly helped. I will check out spareroom.co.uk and see if I can find anything interesting. I will also have a look on the topics that you talked about, and see if I can find more informations.

But thanks, it was great to hear from somebody who has tried it before, and shared his personal experiences It convinced me about the fact that it is possible to live for 1000 pounds a month.
Well I'm English and a girl, but you're welcome! Hehe.

If you do move here, I'd say you should get a Tesco/Sainsburys/Iceland loyalty card, they will save on costs overall. The Tesco ones give the opportunity for good discounts off restaurants/bars/days out, so may be useful.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:53 am
Banned

shanmarsh2 is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to travel with your UK passport, and as you have one you will be entitled to medical treatments etc. You cannot contact NHS/HMR before arriving