Reload this Page >

Moving to Slovakia

Moving to Slovakia

Old Oct 16th 2013, 9:11 am
Just Joined

lythambloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Slovakia

Hello everyone.

So here are the questions, me and my family will shortly be moving to slovakia, we already have a place to stay and are wondering about how people connect to the internet, who are the big internet service providers, i know that companies such as O2 and T Mobile operate in SK, however, im unsure if they provide broadband internet services, next thing is UK tv, we are looking into this but i am sure you are aware it is a little bit of a minefield on finding out how to get either SKY tv, or any other satellite tv provider, what size of dish would we need, are the sat tv companies in SK that would be able to set up this service so that we can get the uk programs (not that we would miss corrie or eastenders) just for some english speaking programs.

thank you in advance

Lee
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Slovakia

Hi Lee

I'm not sure you will find many people living in Slovakia on here.....you are the first I have come across and I have been in BA for a year. Coincidentally I'm from Manchester so not so far from you.

Internet is easy here....UPC is a big provider and we have good broadband. Sky tv is difficult as (I think, and I'm no expert) you need a HUGE dish. UPC does provide tv packages and I think there is a limited English channel choice. If you look on their website you will see what's available.

We are not huge tv watchers so rely on the likes of BBC iplayer and 4-OD to watch online. You will need a VPN - such as Expat Shield - installed on your laptops though to disguise that you are overseas as these services aren't meant to work out here. Still, we have no problems.

So, where will you be based in Slovakia?

Dave
Old Nov 18th 2013, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Kajoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Magio TV service (through dish or broadband internet) allows you to alternate audio to nearly all foreign movies that are on Slovak/Czech movie channels (like Nova, Markiza etc), and nearly all foreign movies are of Hollywood production, so you can watch movies in original language, which is american english most of the time. With 50 channels, there is always good chance at least 5-10 movie channels (at the same time) will be televising a movie offering alternative english audio.

For sports package, ALT AUDIO service is avalaible only for Eurosport 1,2 as all other sports channels are local, thus no english. On the other side, most of documentary package (viasat history, history channel, discovery, animal planet, national geographic channel etc) offers 100% english coverage. Same goes for children channels (Disney channel, Nickelodeon...)

Aside BBC World, no other UK channel/programmes avalaible, Hollywood everywhere.
Old May 10th 2014, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Talwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lee, I have been living in Central Europe for over 7 years now, 3 in Slovakia, and I fully agree that if your place of living has access to the UPC system, go for it. If not then there are other ways of getting online, where are you thinking of moving to? As for British TV, we use an online service which is for free and while the quality is not HD it is perfectly watchable, the service is www.filmon.tv .

I am living the High Tatras and would be happy to communicate with you and any other expats in SK.

Regards.

Martin